VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Genuine question, when McTominay scored last night, was anyone thinking about VAR and did it being used take away anyones enjoyment from the game?

At the exact moment he scored no, but a split second later yes. It was only when I saw the first replay that I knew that it was ok. 

58 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Genuine question, when McTominay scored last night, was anyone thinking about VAR and did it being used take away anyones enjoyment from the game?

I was sat on my couch and didn’t give VAR a second thought as Dykes scored, but when McTominay played it from under the bar I waited for the replay to see if he was offside.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Yes and yes. I was still celebrating but kept looking to the ref.

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was sat on my couch and didn’t give VAR a second thought as Dykes scored, but when McTominay played it from under the bar I waited for the replay to see if he was offside.

Same position,  celebrated dykes thinking no chance it could be ruled out.  Bizarre the ref found reason to do so before thankfully changing his mind. 

Certainly didn't enjoy the winner in the moment. Maybe just the events of the game and that it wasn't a clean finish but I had a feeling it would be ruled out, took until full time to fully enjoy it.

I thought it had maybe gone in off his arm and so I was waiting for some sort of confirmation that it was definitely given, which of course you don't get in the stadium. Definitely was a wee bit less of a celebration from me than there would have been otherwise.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Yup, in the ground I was paranoid he was either offside or there had been a foul somewhere, I didn’t relax in the fact it was a goal for a good bit after.

Still went apeshit mind you.

7 hours ago, ropy said:

This was me but, but waiting for handball.

VAR 100% for me .

I watch the Thai League,  last night Conburi v SupanBuri(my team as Singburi are my wee team, amateur), complete tinpot league, however, can still do.  There was 4 views during the game, every one of them the ref overturned his first call. One of them being a keeper coming out and flattening a player(missing the ball), which NEVER happens in normal play.

We missed the penalty and lost 1-0.

I also believe that the replay should NOT be shown in the stadium. We all talk about referees being swayed one way of another, no need for the this to happen again.

Having seen the Lyndon Dykes equaliser on Saturday night, how anyone can still be against VAR is beyond me.

It’s just too hard to referee football in real time. 

Football is supposed to be entertainment, not an exercise in maximising the percentage of correct decisions. So what if it's hard to make some decisions?

52 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Football is supposed to be entertainment, not an exercise in maximising the percentage of correct decisions. So what if it's hard to make some decisions?

I think the issue here is that we fundamentally disagree on what football is meant to be 

It’s fair enough to be against VAR, but if you are against it then what you’re telling me is that you’re fine with that Dykes goal not counting, in the name of “entertainment”

I don’t find getting screwed out of valid goals entertaining personally. 

39 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s fair enough to be against VAR, but if you are against it then what you’re telling me is that you’re fine with that Dykes goal not counting, in the name of “entertainment”

Football has survived and flourished for decades without the use of VAR and fans have been entertained for just as long despite there being decisions they disagree with.

Of course, football evolves as the technology available grows. Artificial surfaces and hybrid pitches can help alleviate fixture congestion. Televised matches and video footage at one point would've been considered a novelty but now it's used to determine appeals or trigger compliance activity. Goal line technology is a quick hit win as it is an objective matter of fact whether the ball has crossed the line or not.

The problem with VAR is that it is still subjective and open to interpretation. There are countless decisions made through the use of VAR that fans are still left astonished with - last nights UEFA Nations League Final being a timely reminder of that. It'll no doubt clear up more of the obvious incidents, but I think the main argument against it is at what cost.

I think it boils down to two different (but valid) viewpoints:

1. Fans that prioritise correct decisions being made on the field while potentially sacrificing the atmosphere/entertainment experienced off the field
  2. Fans that can accept errors being made if it means there is a more "natural" enjoyment of the game

I think I am firmly in camp number 2.

Edited by AJF

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

Comes down to how it will be used really, the tool itself is excellent, but there are a lot of ways it could be used to feck up the game, and make it just as prone to mistakes as what we have just now, and making it worse for fans to watch.

Clear and obv mistakes seem the best way to go, i think what irritates us most is inconsistency, right or wrong decisions, it's when they aren't applied equally, or in every game, it becomes annoying. Would VAR be any different, because from what i see in games down south, it isn't being used consistently for the same decisions, one game a hand ball gets ruled on to take away a goal, another it gets allowed and the goal stands, still a lot coming down to human decision making irrespective of what VAR shows.

On 11/10/2021 at 08:30, Donathan said:

Having seen the Lyndon Dykes equaliser on Saturday night, how anyone can still be against VAR is beyond me.

It’s just too hard to referee football in real time. 

Because it’s presence completely fucking ruined my enjoyment of a 94th minute winner.

And also after the 2nd goal no one in the ground had a fucking clue what was going on the whole time, I’m assuming you don’t go to games and only watch on telly because it was a fucking shambles.

On 11/10/2021 at 09:50, Donathan said:

VAR could legitimately have ruled out the second Israel goal for handball, and the last-minute winner for Hendry's clear tug of a jersey. In short, the outcome of that game was the hostage of TV analysis and the decisions of VAR analysts. I was honestly watching the replay of the winner thinking they're going to disallow that.

Suspect support for VAR is highest amongst those who don't actually turn up to games. Spectators would have no idea what was happening in these VAR cases. Totally sucks the spontaneity out of a sport which relies on spontaneity for its excitement.

14 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Because it’s presence completely fucking ruined my enjoyment of a 94th minute winner.

And also after the 2nd goal no one in the ground had a fucking clue what was going on the whole time, I’m assuming you don’t go to games and only watch on telly because it was a fucking shambles.

There wouldn’t have been a 94th minute winner if not for VAR…. It would have been an equaliser.

We’d have also drawn 0-0 in Austria and the group would look very different as we’d have been screwed out of 4 points.

That to me is far more important than some shite about “enjoyment in the stadium”. I’ll admit though, I’m yet to attend a football match with VAR in operation. That will change in the next week as I have tickets to the Leicester v Man Utd game on Saturday, so will comment back then.

I do think they could do with a better system of communicating VAR reviews to the crowd, but that’s not a reason to avoid using VAR itself.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

There wouldn’t have been a 94th minute winner if not for VAR…. It would have been an equaliser.

We’d have also drawn 0-0 in Austria and the group would look very different as we’d have been screwed out of 4 points.

That to me is far more important than some shite about “enjoyment in the stadium”. I’ll admit though, I’m yet to attend a football match with VAR in operation. That will change in the next week as I have tickets to the Leicester v Man Utd game on Saturday, so will comment back then.

I do think they could do with a better system of communicating VAR reviews to the crowd, but that’s not a reason to avoid using VAR itself.

I forgot that was how football worked, if a goal hadn’t gone in the game would have played out in completely the same way.

The way the game was going if Dykes’ goal was disallowed I feel like we’d have still equalised before the 2nd went in, it’s something that’s impossible to actually know and you could say the same about the penalty in Vienna.

These things even themselves out, we’ve had a couple go for us, we’ll soon have a couple go against us no doubt and whether they’re for us or against us, I would honestly rather just be able to enjoy the game.

Edited by Les Cabbage