VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

How often do people celebrate wildly only to realise there is an offside flag? Or a delay in a decision as the referee talks to his officials?

Does VAR really take away significantly more emotional response than those incidents that already happen fairly regularly?

It's a fraction of a second to see if the flag is up, no similarity at all with VAR chopping off a goal.

Edited by Loonytoons

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

TMO in rugby killed any interest I had in the game as a spectator. 

Same its become tedious

99.999% of football and rugby games managed fine without a faceless overseer in the sky, get this shite in the bin

Doesn't matter if it's shite or not, we need to bring it in so we are aligned with the rest of world football. Also, it's Scottish Football so they'll make an arse of it and at least for a short while that will be funny.

Hope the next step is to mic up the referees as it's ridiculous that every week we have fouls and cards given out with the crowd having no idea what for.

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hope the next step is to mic up the referees as it's ridiculous that every week we have fouls and cards given out with the crowd having no idea what for.

I actually think this could be something that would actually improve referee performance as well as let fans know what is happening.

I’ve seen clips of referees in other countries who are mic’d up (Australia I think) and because they know they are, they are very meticulous in going through their decision making process with reference to the laws and why a decision should go a certain way.

I’m not saying that doesn’t happen just now, I just think it would take away a big aspect of guesswork that undoubtedly goes on because the referees will need to justify the decision to themselves first and foremost as they know they’re being recorded.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

I actually think this could be something that would actually improve referee performance as well as let fans know what is happening.

I’ve seen clips of referees in other countries who are mic’d up (Australia I think) and because they know they are, they are very meticulous in going through their decision making process with reference to the laws and why a decision should go a certain way.

I’m not saying that doesn’t happen just now, I just think it would take away a big aspect of guesswork that undoubtedly goes on because the referees will need to justify the decision to themselves first and foremost as they know they’re being recorded.

I agree. Would give fans a bit more understanding of why the decisions are made. 

I was at a cup game at brechin a few years back and right next to the pitch and you could hear the level of communication between the linesman and the ref throughout the game and I was really surprised how much they communicate and see the game, such as that x player is in an offside position before the ball is kicked etc.

If a ref is mic'd up it will make them a bit more on the ball, but also the players too if they know what they say to a ref can be heard.

On the refs, I'd have a rule that they should all have to have a coaching license up to a certain level and also the same for coaches/managers or the ref qualifications. 

18 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It is an open conversation. 

People just think VAR is shite, don’t like it and don’t want it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dunno like. I'd give my left nut to see a last minute Morelos equaliser get chalked off 2 minutes after he's celebrated in front of the RDS. Then watch him get sent off 30 seconds after the restart.

Said it already on this thread, the cost issue is the thing I have most concerns about. If it doesn't cost the clubs, or there is some small one off implementation fee, then fine.. if it becomes prohibitive then it becomes a problem.

I also have concerns on just how fair it will end up being. Call me cynical but if the OF can somehow spin this whole thing to their advantage they absolutely will.

Edited by Ric

Surely instead of VAR, we should be bringing in a system that lets players review any mistakes they make in a game and they get a chance to rectify them? The quality of football in Scotland is shite and way too many players make mistakes so this will be a way to cut all that out.

This is the SPFL. They'll bring in VAR "because the big boys have it". I swear to bod, if the EPL brought in dog turds on penalty spots, Doncaster would be nipping a couple off at hampden the next morning. 

Our version of VAR will have the match decision being given via committee two days after the final whistle, exclusively revealed in the Daily Record Twitter feed. 

4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Genuine question, when McTominay scored last night, was anyone thinking about VAR and did it being used take away anyones enjoyment from the game?

Aye

ETA Strangely not when Dykes scored though

Edited by Loonytoons