VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Part of the problem with football being run as a commercial entity is missing the fundamental point of what makes it so enjoyable. 

the argument for VAR is basically the money at stake for getting decisions wrong for clubs, managers etc. 

I’m not against football being run as a business but the fundamental point is that what sets football apart as a sport is the sheer unmitigated joy that happens when the ball hits the back of the net in a big game. You think back to your best memories of being at football and it’s very likely to be that 5-10 seconds when the ball hits the net and the absolute chaos in the stands that follows. 

VAR kills that and it isn’t even that effective. 

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are unfortunately plenty of people out there, and I think the number is getting bigger, who value some sense of "righteousness" and accuracy of decisions as being more important than actual entertainment.

This is it for me. A goal in football has "rarity value" more than in practically any other sport - much as we all like a nice pass or seeing a mental midfielder halfing the opponents best player - it's really all about that moment when teams score. That moment might win you a cup, save you from relegation or humiliate your biggest rivals - and these very rare "big" goals and the memory of them can keep you going for years. If you f**k with the good stuff, the game becomes a lesser thing - less interesting, less memorable and less fun.

Decisions being 100% "correct" has never been a feature of football - VAR doesn't deliver on that anyway - and I think the assumption that trying to achieve that automatically makes football better simply isn't proven (and the evidence so far could well point to the opposite)

Was not for VAR the game in Scotland is stopped enough without VAR being added.  However 10 games in my own club have had 3 goals chopped off that should have stood going by analysts by tv pundits.  If stood St Mirren would be sitting on a further 6 points. So now im all for VAR we all suffer from shit refs especially against the old firm. 

21 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Goal line technology should be in place in the Scottish Premiership by now ??

Tin pot dosnt even come close !!

Out of interest how much would that cost? I can't remember any big decisions that have affected gams about whether a ball crossed the line or not for a good while.

Why spend hundreds of thousands on something that will very, veyr rarely be used?

1 minute ago, Gibby82 said:

I get the entertainment argument but I’m not particularly entertained by referees continually shitting the bed at Ibrox and Parkhead so it’s a yes from me.

Awful bold of you to assume VAR wont see referees shitting the bed anyway. England's penalty v Denmark was evidence of this

More cases where VAR made no difference to calling out clear and obv yellow card fouls the ref missed/ignored, the two clear bookable fouls by Milner in the Liverpool v Man City game, when he was already on a yellow card. Showing VAR isn't the perfect solution to ending erse cheek bias, it would still happen with or without VAR.

This season i've seen fouls, hand balls & other penalty incidents, and offside decisions being ignored by VAR, after the ref got them wrong, i have no faith that VAR being introduced up here would change that, esp in erse cheek v diddies games. Only thing that has proven infallible  and extremely useful is the goal line tech, and we still don't have it up here.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Was not for VAR the game in Scotland is stopped enough without VAR being added.  However 10 games in my own club have had 3 goals chopped off that should have stood going by analysts by tv pundits.  If stood St Mirren would be sitting on a further 6 points. So now im all for VAR we all suffer from shit refs especially against the old firm. 
I'm afraid the SFA's anti-St Mirren bias will continue even with VAR.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm afraid the SFA's anti-St Mirren bias will continue even with VAR.

quite right too

I get the entertainment argument but I’m not particularly entertained by referees continually shitting the bed at Ibrox and Parkhead so it’s a yes from me.
I've seen the big teams benefit more in England than any other club there also still seems to be incidents conveniently missed, it would be exactly the same up here.

I've said for years that I don't believe it's the big decisions that cost you against 'Rangers' and Celtic. It's the fact that just about every 50/50 throw/free kick/corner shout goes in their favour, particularly in Glasgow. VAR wouldn't change this. If 50/60,000 shout for a decision, they'll get it. 

Even with the big calls. Porteous would probably still have been off on Sunday and I think back to Hedges one at Pittodrie last season against 'Rangers' he'd probably still have been sent off and had it been a 'Rangers' or Celtic player in either of those circumstances they probably wouldn't have been off. 

The refs will still find a way to subconsciously favour the Erse cheeks if it comes in, thus making the whole shebang pointless. It won't change the fact that their players will need to commit half a dozen fouls before being booked while the rest of us get booked for our first tackle. 

I've seen the big teams benefit more in England than any other club there also still seems to be incidents conveniently missed, it would be exactly the same up here.
Similarly Juventus seemed to benefit massively from VAR in Serie A. It'll be an ineffectual waste of money, result in previously unheard of levels of seethe from fans and be absolutely fucking tinpot in the SPFL. No fucking thank you.

I'm generally in favour of VAR if used correctly and quickly. I think how much of a shambles the EPL made of it for the first couple years has given people a bad impression of it, but it has generally been used well in major tournaments and in other leagues. I just have absolutely no confidence in the referees in this country to not make a total disaster of it.

I get the argument about taking away some of the passion of scoring a goal, but its not any different from the delay in seeing an offside flag when a goal is scored and the comedown after seeing it IMO.

In short, I quite like VAR but massively sceptical it wouldnt just turn into an expensive farce in Scotland. 

Edited by Jacky1990

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

I get the argument about taking away some of the passion of scoring a goal, but its not any different from the delay in seeing an offside flag when a goal is scored and the comedown after seeing it IMO.

It is though. An offside flag after celebrating a goal is actually quite a dramatic moment. 

Half celebrating a goal then having to wait 30 seconds to a minute to have it confirmed kills the moment. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It is though. An offside flag after celebrating a goal is actually quite a dramatic moment. 

Half celebrating a goal then having to wait 30 seconds to a minute to have it confirmed kills the moment. 

VAR disallowing a goal can be dramatic as well though. Think Sterling's disallowed goal for Man City in the last minute of their Champ League semi against Spurs. Incredibly dramatic and I bet Spurs fans werent complaining about it killing a moment.

VAR isnt going to stop people going mental when the ball hits the net so it shouldnt stop those moments of euphoria. I certainly wasnt thinking about VAR when McGregor scored against Croatia. Those moments might eventually mean nothing if goals are chopped off, but youll still get those celebrations and those instant euphoric feelings.

8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

VAR disallowing a goal can be dramatic as well though. Think Sterling's disallowed goal for Man City in the last minute of their Champ League semi against Spurs. Incredibly dramatic and I bet Spurs fans werent complaining about it killing a moment.

VAR isnt going to stop people going mental when the ball hits the net so it shouldnt stop those moments of euphoria. I certainly wasnt thinking about VAR when McGregor scored against Croatia. Those moments might eventually mean nothing if goals are chopped off, but youll still get those celebrations and those instant euphoric feelings.

Disagree 

47 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I was, and I didn't enjoy it as much as a result. I had it in my head that Dykes might have fouled in the build-up.