VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think we are going to need at least 3 more per match for var?

You only need four - ideally six or seven.

Given that Scottish football had as little as one or two at some Premiership games a couple of years back - six or seven isn't outwith the realms of possibility.

9 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

You only need four - ideally six or seven.

Given that Scottish football had as little as one or two at some Premiership games a couple of years back - six or seven isn't outwith the realms of possibility.

I guess you could have some that don’t need a cameraman. Just a static camera covering the box/goal line?

Maybe start by just having it for TV games but that may mean mainly 2 clubs.

50 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I guess you could have some that don’t need a cameraman. Just a static camera covering the box/goal line?

Maybe start by just having it for TV games but that may mean mainly 2 clubs.

Yeah thinks that's the case, as long as they aren't Pixellot cameras.

On the second point - some South American leagues have done this think it's Bolivia and Colombia?

I think today's events are a perfect example of how it won't actually really sort anything. The Porteous red card is being widely debated in all the usual ways when there's a big decision involving the Old Firm, but there's no chance that VAR would ever overturn a decision like that because it's clearly a borderline one. So even with VAR you'd still have exactly the same moaning, probably actually with an extra layer of controversy.

It worked in the euros because highly competent officials were in the VAR room, making accurate decisions in a very short timeframe.

If the problem is shit referees making awful decisions then adding VAR just ends up with shit referees watching multiple replays while the players get cold and the fans get frustrated before the awful decisions are made. 

The use of VAR hasn’t put a stop to poor decision making in the EPL, it just momentarily takes the heat off the Ref. Minute margins on offside calls, really soft hand balls and slight touch penalties are commonplace every weekend. It hasn’t done anything to change the game for the better imho, it simply offers the opportunity, for further mind numbing studio analysis from the likes of Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy (no offence chaps).
Simple TV replays and existing technology could be used by a fourth official for the big calls, as a last resort only, when the Ref genuinely can’t see or is unable to make a clear decision. Other than that, get this idea in the bin.

I can't fathom how folk have watched English games, and so many having all the joy sucked out of them, and entirely ruined by VAR to think this would be a good idea in Scotland. They've had it for a coupla year now, we've naw, has it made any different to the league outcomes down there or up here? The only time it had was when it caused Bournemouth to relegated because it missed something obvious.

If anyone thinks VAR is going to dramatically reduce the bias in favour of the bigot brothers, I have some magic beans to sell them. For one thing, the VAR ref has to tell the match ref there's an incident to consider. Why does anyone think the VAR ref is going to be any less likely to make an "honest mistake" than a match ref?

Goal line technology should be implemented but VAR for the SPFL needs fired into the fucking sun.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On 02/10/2021 at 05:10, The Golden God said:

100 percent for it. Geniuenely baffles me why so many people aren't

I’d quite like to not have to wait a couple of minutes to be able to celebrate a goal. If that means that sometimes mistakes happen (which demonstrably VAR doesn’t solve anyway) then that’s a price I’m more than happy to pay.

That and I don’t care at all whether Scottish referees lose their UEFA status or whatever it is. I can’t actually think of anything football-related that I’m less bothered about. 

In the past fortnight we have had a stonewall penalty waved away at Parkhead by a referee who was again ‘unsighted’ and a dreadful offside call in the cup game against Hibs (of course they even themselves out over the course of the season…). These decisions would have been overturned by VAR, it needs to come in. The Fermers also took a sore one against the Hibees.

I’ll steer away from accusations of bias of corruption so let’s just say some of our refs and linesmen are demonstrably spineless or incompetent or a combination of both. Some much needed scrutiny in real time is to be welcomed. Although we’ll make a compete c**t of its implementation no doubt.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I couldn't give a shit about getting decisions right or wrong. VAR completely changes the "matchday experience"TM for the fan in the stadium. Particularly where there are no big screens

f**k having to wait to celebrate a goal 

You’re missing the bigger picture. VAR =  increased Dundee pitch invasions for phantom goals. Though that one at Tannadice would have been awarded with VAR so f**k knows what I think anymore.

7 minutes ago, Greenmachine said:

Clubs don’t all have screens in their grounds either so how is the VAR review and  decision going to be communicated to fans at the game ?

The same way it is at Old Trafford and Anfield which also don't have screens - an announcement over the tannoy.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think today's events are a perfect example of how it won't actually really sort anything. The Porteous red card is being widely debated in all the usual ways when there's a big decision involving the Old Firm, but there's no chance that VAR would ever overturn a decision like that because it's clearly a borderline one. So even with VAR you'd still have exactly the same moaning, probably actually with an extra layer of controversy.

What's yer own thoughts on this challenge?

44 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What's yer own thoughts on this challenge?

I think it's clearly out of control and at pace, so I think it ticks a lot of the red card boxes. It's not a stonewall one, but I'd go about 60-40 in favour of red. I would also say that Porteous' history of bad tackles and his deliberate cultivation of this hardman persona hasn't helped him in this case.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I can't fathom how folk have watched English games, and so many having all the joy sucked out of them, and entirely ruined by VAR to think this would be a good idea in Scotland. They've had it for a coupla year now, we've naw, has it made any different to the league outcomes down there or up here? The only time it had was when it caused Bournemouth to relegated because it missed something obvious.

There are unfortunately plenty of people out there, and I think the number is getting bigger, who value some sense of "righteousness" and accuracy of decisions as being more important than actual entertainment.

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think it's clearly out of control and at pace, so I think it ticks a lot of the red card boxes. It's not a stonewall one, but I'd go about 60-40 in favour of red. I would also say that Porteous' history of bad tackles and his deliberate cultivation of this hardman persona hasn't helped him in this case.

I agree with all ye said there but I'd maybe say it was a bit higher than 60-40