VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The first thing that springs to mind is Ronaldo blatantly getting fouled in the box versus West Ham the other week, went to VAR for a minute or 2 who then referred it to the ref to decide, he then runs over to view it only to rule it wasn't a penalty. What a fucking waste of time.

Get this idea fired directly into the sun. 

Well its not gonna happen as I believe they will need an 11-1 majority to pass this

Lets be honest Celtic and Rangers, will not want it. Think of all the dodgy penalties, wrong decisions that go their way against us wee diddy teams.

I mean they would both not get around 10 decisions per game that they should not have gotten

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

I am genuinely surprised how many are against it. Is it perfect = NO.

Is it needed at Ibrox and Parkhead = 100% yes.

Smaller teams will not be unduly disadvantaged but the Old firm will not get away with all dodgy decisions. This week we saw an offside goal against Fashion Sakala in Europa League for almost an indentical situation v Motherwell at Ibrox when decision was to award the goal.

Right now I would say refs get about 70% of decisions correct. If that is increased to 95% I am all for it.  

Would it though, ref or lino doesn't give offside then VAR wont get involved changing their decision, would look at it, and if it was tight and not clear and obv they'd let it go, or suggest to the ref to look at the pitch side monitor if they thought it was clear and obv offside. A lot of decisions against them would still be missed, they aren't going to piss off big crowds at Ibrox and Parkheid making them wait for ages then rule a goal offside several times a game, they'd still be shite bags imo, taking easy options for the sake of their windaes health.

Really all depends how they implement it, and how good the officials are using it, and if the ref has the bottle to actually use it against the erse cheeks properly. The EPL showed if you examine every decision to try and get it perfect, you're forever stopping the flow of the game, and making it a borefest,  so now they get offside and penalty decisions wrong, and VAR doesn't intervene to overrule them.

Course they get things right too and catch things they missed, but it really still comes down to decisions from the ref, and he can still be influenced from the stands.

I'd be genuinely interested to see the split in enthusiasm for VAR between those that watch the bulk of their football in the house vs those that actually go to games regularly. I watch practically no TV games (and don't watch other countries' leagues at all) and my experience is almost 100% being at the ground and that might help explain why VAR doesn't hold any appeal at all.

A conclusive poll... but I still don't expect to see no complaints when your team is denied a stonewaller in Glasgow.

The two things are not mutually exclusive. You can think VAR is a plague on the game and still get annoyed when a decision goes against your team.

Not for me. Having experienced it in use at Ibrox in the Europa League, I wasn’t a big fan of it.

Add to that the incompetence of our referees that will be using and monitoring it I think it’s an expense we should avoid.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

Not for me. Having experienced it in use at Ibrox in the Europa League, I wasn’t a big fan of it.

Add to that the incompetence of our referees that will be using and monitoring it I think it’s an expense we should avoid.

All the refs want it, now we're hearing they will be left behind with 30 out of 55 countries having VAR or a form of VAR plus they could lose their UEFA status.

We've had it in the A-League for a few years and it's shite. Not being able to properly celebrate a goal until you get the VAR all clear. Long waits while the ref looks at his wee screen. Nobody likes it.

Mind you it doesn't help that the referees, both in the ground and in the VAR room are hopeless. Shouldn't be a problem in Scottish football then.

No thanks. The talk is to use it in cup games also. That means two sets of rules being used for the same competition. Get it to f**k.

There are already "two sets of rules" used in the Scottish Cup and League Cup. Some games have fourth officials and some don't. The semis and final of the Scottish Cup often have extra officials behind the goals too.