VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah the problem with VAR, is tight decisions still come down to opinions and interpretation, the human element is still there deciding how they see it. You'd think getting it to call offside would be pretty simple, but they somehow made it mind numbingly tedious hanging around for ages to see if an oxter was offside. Now they've made it a bit better by accepting some wrong decisions rather than examining every single decision, and if the ref calls it the VAR person isn't going to overturn him, though he can at least be advised to go over to the monitor and watch it again himself.

Basically it isn't infallible because they're unable to come up with a way to use it properly, and isn't making the game much better for the paying football fans to watch. Would be good if they made it simple and could get offsides done as quickly as the goal line tech deciding if the ball crosses the line, and could examine a few incidents the ref found difficult to call, or maybe missed altogether, then i'd be all for it. As it is just now though, isn't improving things much and they've somehow found a way to make a useful tool a clusterfuck. 

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

No Scottish Premiership game has two cameras at it anymore - every game has at least four.

I may be judging by the replays you get on Sportscene. 1 main & 1 behind 1 goal.

Live games & the Alba game has more but 1 of Albas seems to just watch the dugouts.

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Get. It. To. f**k. 

This. I think I’d have given up on football if VAR was as bad as it seems on MOTD.

For the avoidance of doubt, I absolutely despise VAR.

Edited by Scary Bear

St Mirren have been denied 2 goals this season due to ineptitude from referees and assistants. VAR is a must.

A game at Ibrox a few seasons ago when we were on the receiving end of 4 penalties against us is enough reason for my vote for VAR.

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

St Mirren have been denied 2 goals this season due to ineptitude from referees and assistants. VAR is a must.

A game at Ibrox a few seasons ago when we were on the receiving end of 4 penalties against us is enough reason for my vote for VAR.

Wouldn't have made any difference, refs decision wont be overruled by VAR, not unless the ref viewed it on the pitch side monitor and changed his mind. There are still mistakes being made by refs down in the English Premiership, which VAR hasn't made right.

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Wouldn't have made any difference, refs decision wont be overruled by VAR, not unless the ref viewed it on the pitch side monitor and changed his mind. There are still mistakes being made by refs down in the English Premiership, which VAR hasn't made right.

Fair enough.  Pointless then.

I am genuinely surprised how many are against it. Is it perfect = NO.

Is it needed at Ibrox and Parkhead = 100% yes.

Smaller teams will not be unduly disadvantaged but the Old firm will not get away with all dodgy decisions. This week we saw an offside goal against Fashion Sakala in Europa League for almost an indentical situation v Motherwell at Ibrox when decision was to award the goal.

Right now I would say refs get about 70% of decisions correct. If that is increased to 95% I am all for it.  

13 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Is it needed at Ibrox and Parkhead = 100% yes.

I don't think it will have as much effect as folk hope it will there. Granted the example you used is exactly why it would be of use. However it doesn't look at the usual wee niggly fouls in the middle of the park that they can get away with and wear you down.

f**k VAR. An expensive inept implementation of a bad idea by soulless bureaucrats for pedantic children. The enjoyment and worth of football lies in the spectacle of sporting intent and artistic endeavour. For those not into that there's always Excel. I can handle wrong decisions but don't kill and bisect the artists whilst I'm trying to enjoy their performance.

Everyone involved with VAR has to be consistent with handball rules, no 2 refs are the same with their decisions, when is an arm in an unnatural position is just one example. I sometimes wonder if any refs understand it.

It'd be shite, but ignoring how poorly it'd be used in Scotland I'm already having some kind of aural premonition where I can hear Michael Stewart having a boring, semantic argument with whatever guest they've got on Sportscene about some VAR decision in every single match. Not to mention Keevins, Andy Walker etc. would be even more unbearable than normal.

Solid nope from me.

James Tavernier goes from a 500 point FFS player to a 250 one overnight if implemented: naturally

Makes refereeing foursomes better: probably

Stops either of the arse cheeks amassing 90 points by late March: definitely

Clean up 30% of the stuff they miss: undeniably 

Edited by Kapowzer

3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I may be judging by the replays you get on Sportscene. 1 main & 1 behind 1 goal.

Live games & the Alba game has more but 1 of Albas seems to just watch the dugouts.

There's (at least) two on halfway and one behind or at the side of each goal for the games on Sportscene.

Spoiler

The way to notice is that there will be one camera that shows "Main" shot, one zoomed in, and one from behind each goal - which can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/WKYJu_kZ7FQ?t=70

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

f**k VAR. An expensive inept implementation of a bad idea by soulless bureaucrats for pedantic children. The enjoyment and worth of football lies in the spectacle of sporting intent and artistic endeavour. For those not into that there's always Excel. I can handle wrong decisions but don't kill and bisect the artists whilst I'm trying to enjoy their performance.

spot on

have said so from before it was first brought in that its more tedious deference to a higher unaccountable authority miles away. Another level of bureacracy paranoid with so called accuracy fairness safety blah blah blah.

f**k that shite.

thats all even before talking about all the implementation problems with stoppages, still human error, still human interpretation etc

Edited by Glennie