VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m sure there will have been threads on this before but with this coming out this afternoon, I’m wondering what people’s views are on this?

Personally, a resounding absolutely fucking not from me.

My reasons are a few of but not limited to:

• More disallowed goals, meaning more low scoring games.

• More penalty’s, the most boring type of goal your team can score.

• Being feared to overcelebrate a goal because you’re worried it’ll get chalked off.

• Loads of confusion in the stands anytime anything is being looked at

• More stoppages and delays in games

Lets hear your thoughts, poll attached.

4 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:
I’m sure there will have been threads on this before but with this coming out this afternoon, I’m wondering what people’s views are on this?

Personally, a resounding absolutely fucking not from me.

My reasons are a few of but not limited to:

• More disallowed goals, meaning more low scoring games.

• More penalty’s, the most boring type of goal your team can score.

• Being feared to overcelebrate a goal because you’re worried it’ll get chalked off.

• Loads of confusion in the stands anytime anything is being looked at

• More stoppages and delays in games

Lets hear your thoughts, poll attached.

All for it. 

A lot depends on the style they go with. From the Euros? Definitely. From the EPL last season? Nah.

Nope - spontaneity is one of the very best aspects of football and this utterly kills that. I genuinely don't think the scale of the problem (ie - wrong decisions) merits spending the money on it and the detriment for supporters that actually go to fucking games rather than Sky TV subscribers. Also - years later, I'm still fucked off about the cringing, forelock tugging rebrand of the leagues to mirror the english league names and I can't get past the suspicion that this is more wee guy behaviour.

Hanging about on a freezing midwinter night waiting for Willie Colum to adjudicate on a marginal offside decision can f**k right off.

I mentioned this on another thread - but I would hope that the fan-owned clubs could be compelled to vote against this by their owners - and I'll push for that at 'Well.

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I’d bring it in for OF games for a laugh. 

9 man Rangers vs a full Celtic side but offsides are being properly called? It'd be a game

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Also - years later, I'm still fucked off about the cringing, forelock tugging rebrand of the leagues to mirror the english league names and I can't get past the suspicion that this is more wee guy behaviour.

Is being against something by impulse because the EPL do it not really fucking wee guy behaviour?

Just now, Orbix said:

9 man Rangers vs a full Celtic side but offsides are being properly called? It'd be a game

Is being against something by impulse because the EPL do it not really fucking wee guy behaviour?

I'm not against it by impulse - that's just a bonus moan

The only way it will work is if it is applied equally across the board. That would mean the same number of cameras at a live Sky Broadcast game, as there are at a Ross County Vs Livingston game on a midweek. I can't see that being the case so it's an overwhelming no from me.

Another reason against it is that with only Rangers, Celtic and now Hibs, having proper video screens (I think), communication will be a massive issue as to why goals/penalties were/were not awarded. 

I also agree with all the reasons given by the OP

For once, being a diddy nation, we’re blessed with being able to watch VAR unfold from a distance and make an educated decision on the matter. 

However, the commercial view will always be that ‘elite’ football now uses VAR so it’s akin to being a 3rd world nation (in a football sense) if you don’t have it. The SFA will want referees trained in it so they can be put forward for major tournaments etc etc and all the other commercial things that come with it. 

8 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Another reason against it is that with only Rangers, Celtic and now Hibs, having proper video screens (I think), communication will be a massive issue as to why goals/penalties were/were not awarded. 

I think at least 6 clubs have got the LED advertising boards now, could potentially use them and have funds available for the other clubs to use to give an ongoing benefit? 

5 minutes ago, Orbix said:

I think at least 6 clubs have got the LED advertising boards now, could potentially use them and have funds available for the other clubs to use to give an ongoing benefit? 

Yeah, we have that at Pittodrie but they aren't going to be able to show a replay of the incident on them. All they'll be able to say is the generic 'var review in progress' 'goal disallowed foul' or whatever pish language it is they use. 

Sitting through a turgid 90 minutes that's brightened up by a 30 yard stunner to win the game that's then ruled out by var for a soft as f**k foul 30 seconds before hand in the build up, that absolutely no one saw or claimed for at the time. No thank you. As I said previously as well, where are they going to find full broadcast facilities for every game to make sure it's universally applied. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow