Peterhead v Dumbarton

Fair play to the ref for giving the go ahead after the 2pm inspection.  Pretty much normal day on the east coast ! As said above , same for both teams and Pererhead took it in their stride with keeping it on the ground

poor efforts  from Dumbarton at 3-0 down to tray and convince the ref to abandon the match 

can’t single out one player as all give it 100%.    But we’ll done all the young lads ! 

37 minutes ago, Toon 68 said:

Fair play to the ref for giving the go ahead after the 2pm inspection.  Pretty much normal day on the east coast ! As said above , same for both teams and Pererhead took it in their stride with keeping it on the ground

poor efforts  from Dumbarton at 3-0 down to tray and convince the ref to abandon the match 

can’t single out one player as all give it 100%.    But we’ll done all the young lads ! 

Thought Josh Mulligan deserved MoM.

As much as the wind is getting a mention for this game , i,ve seen much worse over the last few years ..Peterhead dont train at Balmoor and id imagine its every bit of a hardship / nightmare for the home team as well. .It does spoil a game but thats where the way you play comes into it ... viva la wnd ..😄

As much as the wind is getting a mention for this game , i,ve seen much worse over the last few years ..Peterhead dont train at Balmoor and id imagine its every bit of a hardship / nightmare for the home team as well. .It does spoil a game but thats where the way you play comes into it ... viva la wnd ..[emoji1]

Where do Peterhead train out of curiosity?

20 minutes ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Where do Peterhead train out of curiosity?

This season , being honest , im not certain ... But last few seasons they have had different training venues in Tayside for north based players and with so many borders based players they also had a central belt training facility .. Think we had 4/5 Dumfries based players last season... Crazy ..

10 hours ago, gastropod said:

This season , being honest , im not certain ... But last few seasons they have had different training venues in Tayside for north based players and with so many borders based players they also had a central belt training facility .. Think we had 4/5 Dumfries based players last season... Crazy ..

Think Tuesday night is Dundee at the Caird Park complex, Thursdays the central based players get together somewhere in the Glasgow area. We have 3 Dundee players ! from United + 1 from Aberdeen who was injured before playing but these lads will train full time with their parent clubs most days. We have around 3 or 4 from the Aberdeen area & the rest of the squad from central belt. Used to be Forfar on tuesdays.

16 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Second half, we were absolutely awful and the conditions were bad enough to abandon the match. Both are true.

Won't get many games played at Peterhead if that was the case.  As I said before, there is no wind on the ground which is where you have to play the ball if you are playing into the wind.  I also didn't think that there was any difference in conditions between halves and it was only once Dumbarton went 3 down that the players and supporters suddenly had an issue with the weather.  There were a few Dumbarton supporters that I spoke to at the ground that were also of the opinion that it was pretty much the same for both side.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

Won't get many games played at Peterhead if that was the case.  As I said before, there is no wind on the ground which is where you have to play the ball if you are playing into the wind.  I also didn't think that there was any difference in conditions between halves and it was only once Dumbarton went 3 down that the players and supporters suddenly had an issue with the weather.  There were a few Dumbarton supporters that I spoke to at the ground that were also of the opinion that it was pretty much the same for both side.

I am absolutely not denying that we thoroughly deserved to lose that, conditions were the same for both sides and we failed miserably to adapt. To call it off at 3-0 would’ve fairly ridiculous as well, by that point the game is done and you are as well just playing it to a finish unless conditions are endangering either players or supporters.

However, when the goalkeeper is taking goal kicks that are going out for opposition corners that’s is absolutely in the territory of questions being asked with regards to why the game is being played in those conditions. Not a chance that’s the norm for a game at Balmoor and if it had been 0-0 I don’t think anyone would’ve had any complaints if the ref had called it.

In summary calling it off at 3-0 would’ve been daft but you can’t say those conditions weren’t at the very least bordering on abandonment territory and had it been a draw or a narrower lead I reckon it may well have happened.  I’ve attended at least two Dumbarton games that fell victim to very similar conditions. 

Putting aside the fact that the Peterhead commentray team said that the weather conditions had deteriorated going into the second half, the main difference for me was that the Blue Toon had players capable of carrying the ball along the ground to get upfield - Payne in particular - whereas we all too often resorted to hoofball.  In a game where we needed Duthie and Wilson to get down the wings, they were largely peripheral to the action and we can't afford that. 

Secondly, the goalkeeping coach really needs to work on Ramsbottom's kicking from ground; it's bad enough normally but the second half on Saturday was an exercise in repeated madness. 

57 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Putting aside the fact that the Peterhead commentray team said that the weather conditions had deteriorated going into the second half, the main difference for me was that the Blue Toon had players capable of carrying the ball along the ground to get upfield - Payne in particular - whereas we all too often resorted to hoofball.  In a game where we needed Duthie and Wilson to get down the wings, they were largely peripheral to the action and we can't afford that. 

Secondly, the goalkeeping coach really needs to work on Ramsbottom's kicking from ground; it's bad enough normally but the second half on Saturday was an exercise in repeated madness. 

I think that is it in a nutshell. The wind hadn't strengthened in the 2nd half, but it was a bit wetter and that was driving into the faces of the sons players.

The first half , Dumbarton had really no excuse. They hadn't a clue playing with the wind. How often did they try & play the ball over the Toon defence, and the ball go dead in goal.

The early goal had Dumbarton a bit flustered too. 

The goalie is certainly slow on the uptake!