Jump to content

Killie vs Raith Rovers


Recommended Posts

Another short turn for Raith, with the fifth game since 18 September and a thin squad…but for once, one with only one player coming back from injury. Killie, on the other hand, are playing their second since 18 September and coming in with little in the way of injury concerns. Raith have looked quite attractive, but lacked the cutting edge in the last month or so, while Killie have looked on song until last weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Another short turn for Raith, with the fifth game since 18 September and a thin squad…but for once, one with only one player coming back from injury. Killie, on the other hand, are playing their second since 18 September and coming in with little in the way of injury concerns. Raith have looked quite attractive, but lacked the cutting edge in the last month or so, while Killie have looked on song until last weekend.

If it's Rovers' fifth game since then then it's our third. We are also missing our captain and possibly also Chris Burke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Arbroath thread people kept mentioning the wind. I am sure it was against Raith Rovers sometime in the 90s, maybe even in the cup, where it was really, really windy.

I seem to remember one of the keepers kicking the ball out hard and quite high, only for it to be caught by the wind, blown back to the keeper and he had to save it. Don’t remember the outcome of the kick out, but I’m sure Killie won. I heard it was to be windy again this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Arbroath thread people kept mentioning the wind. I am sure it was against Raith Rovers sometime in the 90s, maybe even in the cup, where it was really, really windy.
I seem to remember one of the keepers kicking the ball out hard and quite high, only for it to be caught by the wind, blown back to the keeper and he had to save it. Don’t remember the outcome of the kick out, but I’m sure Killie won. I heard it was to be windy again this weekend.
Helluva story mate.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to this. Day out planned and getting to tick Rugby park off the list.

Killie fans, could I trouble you kind ladies and gents for some local knowledge?

Looking for a pub that does food to have a few beers and get some basic pub style food before the game. Any suggestions? (Also some of the group are driving from Kirkcaldy, so advice on where to park that is helpful for the pub and ground would be class and much appreciated). 

Cheers folks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If it's Rovers' fifth game since then then it's our third. We are also missing our captain and possibly also Chris Burke.

You are, of course, correct. Thanks for the injury update, I didn’t see any noted but kept my comment generic. We have Musonda due back, but not match fit yet and, of course, Vaughan gone for the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic opportunity for travelling fans to tick off a ground we've not played at in forever here. I doubt we'll have many Rovers fans under 30 that have been unless they were attending a non-Raith fixture. 

Can't say I'm feeling very confident about this. Though we didn't struggle in our last game and should've won, we were wasteful and we have pretty clear limitations that a semi-decent manager will pick out and ensure we get bogged down. 

We've won three of our last four games against Killie, with the most recent victory being a mere 24 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NFL12 said:

On the Arbroath thread people kept mentioning the wind. I am sure it was against Raith Rovers sometime in the 90s, maybe even in the cup, where it was really, really windy.

I seem to remember one of the keepers kicking the ball out hard and quite high, only for it to be caught by the wind, blown back to the keeper and he had to save it. Don’t remember the outcome of the kick out, but I’m sure Killie won. I heard it was to be windy again this weekend.

I think Raith's keeper scored against us in the 80s - Hamish McAlpine (??) - from a kick out.   Unfortunately I missed that game as I have never actually seen this happen live in over 50 years watching football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I think Raith's keeper scored against us in the 80s - Hamish McAlpine (??) - from a kick out.   Unfortunately I missed that game as I have never actually seen this happen live in over 50 years watching football. 

Indeed. 12 September, 1987…tied 3-3 when McAlpine (39) booted it past Barry Holland to seal the win at Rugby Park. Attendance was 1,436, but I’m sure many more have claimed to have been there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Really looking forward to this. Day out planned and getting to tick Rugby park off the list.

Killie fans, could I trouble you kind ladies and gents for some local knowledge?

Looking for a pub that does food to have a few beers and get some basic pub style food before the game. Any suggestions? (Also some of the group are driving from Kirkcaldy, so advice on where to park that is helpful for the pub and ground would be class and much appreciated). 

Cheers folks!

 

The Brass n Granite in Grange Street is about a 5-10 min walk to the ground, you'll also pass the Portmann Hotel on Portland Road on the way or you've got the Park Hotel at Rugby Park, nice but not the cheapest....

You can park on the side streets, depending on arrival time before kick off, but not where its coned off or you'll get done. There is plenty of parking around Glencairn Square about a 10-15 min walk to the ground, thou its the opposite side of the ground from the pubs mentioned.

Edited by C4mmy31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to go to school with Gordon Dalziel’s nephew, so have vivid recollections of Killie v Raith games in the 80s and 90s. Hopefully this will be the game where our team finally realises we can keep the ball on the deck and string some passes together.  I’m hoping we’ll give Hendry a start to see what he’s capable of. Also, Euan Murray to body Zanatta within 5 minutes, thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed. 12 September, 1987…tied 3-3 when McAlpine (39) booted it past Barry Holland to seal the win at Rugby Park. Attendance was 1,436, but I’m sure many more have claimed to have been there.
I was there. In those days we travelled by minibus driven by a guy nicknamed Caveman, so called because he looked like the drawings of neanderthal man you see in science texts. I was also there when Davie Sinclair played in goal and we surprisingly got thrashed. Halcyon days.

Hamish Hamish, swing on the bar...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve tried to sign both Callum Hendry and Scott Robinson so I guess we’ll get a look at what we could’ve had up front. Armstrong was also offered a new deal but his 17 league minutes so far suggests we’re unlikely to see him on the pitch.

I was always pretty confident about this game, it feels like the kind of match that McGlynn tends to win. But with the schedule we’ve had I think it’ll likely just be a step too far, there’s not exactly a queue of players waiting to come into the team. I think we’ll probably see Riley-Snow start and I’d like to see Poplatnik given a start too. Fotheringham was lively when he came on against Dunfermline but he seems more of an impact sub for now.

Can’t see a win but looking forward to the trip and ticking Rugby Park off the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Just registered for the PPV service, match available at a very reasonable £9.99, how have the Killie streams been so far ?

As good as anything in our league... instant replays and commentary from ex BBC's John Barnes & a guest, Kevin McGowne this week.... ignore the on screen messages for start time thou, coverage never starts till around  2:45pm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I was there. In those days we travelled by minibus driven by a guy nicknamed Caveman, so called because he looked like the drawings of neanderthal man you see in science texts. I was also there when Davie Sinclair played in goal and we surprisingly got thrashed. Halcyon days.

Hamish Hamish, swing on the bar...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app
 

Captain Caveman 😂😂😂

Haven’t been to Rugby Park since it became all seater, and are the away fans now in the home end 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...