Killie vs Raith Rovers

That run by Tumilty is a thing of absolute beauty. I wouldn't have grudged him having a shot from it. 
Honesty, after that Accies game on the opening day I want to see every one on one cut back across if there's a player there.
Don’t agree what Armstrong wasn’t good for us, but do agree that he looks heavier. Maybe just one of those situations where only a certain manager can get the best out of him.
Aye, its a weird one. He's an excellent player but it doesn't seem to be working. There's a lot of football to be played but Armstrong has gone from being a key player for ourselves and into a squad where he needs to earn his stripes. If it carries on as it is, he'll be back to square one before long.

He spoke after the Alloa game at the end of last season about how it was the most he'd enjoyed his football and that it was the best dressing room he'd been involved in. Obviously football is a short career and Killie have likely put in an offer we can't compete with. But that's the chance players have to take. It was the same with his move to County before: there was always a risk there.

I agree with what@craigkillie says too: last season one the Hearts fans on the Terrace podcast speculated they'd be a better team in the top flight as teams wouldn't sit deep and would fancy their chances making games far more open - they've been absolutely correct about that so far (we had the same in league 1). Games can be really brutal for attacking players when you've got two banks of 5 outfield players ahead of you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Worth watching the Killie highlights from the other side of the pitch.

Nothing better than listening to a crushed co- commentator 😊

To be honest poor highlights package compared to what our guys produce

Edited by embow

33 minutes ago, embow said:

Nothing better than listening to a crushed co- commentator 😊

To be honest poor highlights package compared to what our guys produce

Quite, but it was more the fact that I enjoyed seeing the goals again from a different angle, in particular the second goal.

Killie will be fine.  They have the best squad in the league and that should see them over the line eventually, even if it's like Dundee and getting through the playoffs.

In all reality I would have been happy with the draw as the equaliser had been coming all game.  

Euan Murray is a strange one.  Obviously a very good player,  but we haven't missed him at all since he left. 

Armstrong was a decent player for us but his set pieces were rage-inducing. When he was good he was great, but he did have his off days. A large part of our mid-season slump last year was caused by an over-reliance on our wingers; teams figured us out and stifled them, noting that as our forwards were a bit guff, we would struggle to score goals. Changing track as we did in the 5-1 at Dunfermline then brought us back some good results. 

One thing I would say is that for all the flaws he would demonstrate, he was quick and would never hide. I am surprised he couldn't catch Tumilty, but perhaps the lack of game time means he is out of shape a bit. 

I was disappointed Armstrong went and even more disappointed when we signed Connolly and Zanatta; it is fair to say that I am no longer disappointed. And that's not just because I no longer have to watch every corner and free kick hit the first man. 

I'd also note that this is the second time he's left us and ended up warming the bench. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's been hard for him so far in that he is clearly a classic winger who wants to get in behind using his pace (not that we saw much of that when he was chasing Tumilty back), but we are almost exclusively playing against teams who sit deep and don't give us any space to do that. At Raith there were going to be more games where teams opened up a bit against you and you were able to hit them on the break.

He’s very much a conundrum as to his best use. He loves bombing up the wings, but his crossing, and his set play execution, is often seriously lacking…until that golden moment when he looks world beating for a cross or two. He slots in happily at left back, either wing, or an edge midfielder, and looks usable or acceptable. However, much like a Swiss Army Knife, he can do many thinks, just not particularly well. In baseball he would be called a utility player, a guy you keep around because, if something breaks, he can be screwed into that spot and not absolutely shit the bed (Saturday’s run excepted).

On 03/10/2021 at 01:48, mungis said:

Remember the Kadikoi days well. Craw, Commander, the two Garys, Beryl to name but a few! And someone letting the tyre down on our minibus. Hope all well down there.

Ah we are all well, we will be coming to Kirkcaldy by Choo Choo for the next game, keep in touch and we can have a couple of beers. Oh btw it was the Kadi “girls” that let the tyres down, we wouldn’t have been so childish 🤪, cheers ,Gary 

Ah we are all well, we will be coming to Kirkcaldy by Choo Choo for the next game, keep in touch and we can have a couple of beers. Oh btw it was the Kadi “girls” that let the tyres down, we wouldn’t have been so childish 🤪, cheers ,Gary 

It was a great result with the two late goals but we didnt match Killie at all after half time and the defence and MacDonald kept us in it. We have to keep doing what we're good at and stop hanging back to keep a lead.
Playing like we did in the second half is ultimately what got us the 3 points. Killie were pushing forward allowing us to hit on the counter after soaking up the pressure effectively. Macdonald is there to make those saves and he's good at it. You're correct though, we didn't match killie. We bettered them, largely by mcglynn winning the tactical battle on the day.

11 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

It was a great result with the two late goals but we didnt match Killie at all after half time and the defence and MacDonald kept us in it. We have to keep doing what we're good at and stop hanging back to keep a lead.

Not having this. Killie had only let in the one goal in the league and lost one game until Saturday. They've assembled a strong squad for this level and for most of our supporters probably would've taken a draw if you'd offered it at the start. At 1-0, we were playing to frustrate and it was working to a large degree - there was no need to expose ourselves by pushing players forward unless we needed to. When we did need to, we got two goals and had Poplatnik through one on one when we were in a 2-1 lead a few minutes before his third. 

As you point out, our problem this season has been late goals in the second half but we've had a very tough run of midweek/weekend games over the last three weeks - we've taken 10 points from a possible 12 out of those fixtures and really should have been looking at a whitewash considering the chances we had in the derby. 

There are obviously dozens of pundits you hear regularly and the variety is massive.  Crichton can definitely give decent insight into what she's seen happen but doesn't usually seem to know the players thoroughly.  I heard OAM on Saturday as well and they had just gone to her for an update when the goal happened in front of her - I thought she probably had her mind on getting through that (and looking at notes) rather than spotting that the striker had just crossed from a deep position to the left back at the far post.  TBH I don't think doing Open All Mic is that easy.

On Armstrong at the Rovers, he was definitely good for us and I came to think his attitude/application were a lot better than I had presumed.  He carries himself a certain way maybe, but I think he was a pro and mucked in consistently.  Put good shifts in e.g. covering left back, or better still covering left back as a sub when he'd been left out for Kennedy.  Nobody hits a perfect corner every time - it's hard to put it in the same area, with pace and bend etc, time and again.  Fair play if you can.

Armstrong was a frustrating player with his set pieces the amount he would waste was rage inducing. That said you couldn't fault his effort and I thought he was immense in the final play off game at dens, he looked like he was trying to win the thing single handedly.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Not having this.

You're not are you? Who the f**k are you? Do you mind if I post without you and your lot contradicting every post I make?

How many goals Killie lost is entirely irrelevant to what I said:

Did we get out of our half until the late goals - yes or no?

You're an arrogant arsehole.

Edited by Raith_Raver

18 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

You're not are you? Who the f**k are you? Do you mind if I post without you and your lot contradicting every post I make?

How many goals Killie lost is entirely irrelevant to what I said:

Did we get out of our half until the late goals - yes or no?

You're an arrogant arsehole.

Given your posts are mainly opinion, two plus sides is fair enough. To answer the question, we did. To comment on your close, that’s your opinion, I’d disagree.

Disclosure: I have no knowledge of the poster you are berating and abusing, other than his generally well measured missives.

Now pop on off to other game threads to brag some more.

32 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

You're not are you? How many goals Killie lost is irrelevant. We didnt hang back at Tynecastle when we were in the lead, so why at Rugby Park? We did the same against Dunfermline on Wednesday, allowed ourselves to lose the initiative in the second half by being content with a lead.

It's completely relevant: it shows that they're a team who are particularly hard to break down which was part of my wider point - they're one of the most dangerous sides in the league. It's certainly a more relevant than saying  that 'we won at Tynecastle last season when we didn't hang back'  - a win with numerous different players who are no longer at the club and one where we got a penalty and scored a very fortunate goal through a hand ball.

The fact is that we've played 8 games, won 4 of those, drawn two and lost two. In six of those games, we've taken a winning position and there's been two where it has backfired. The Accies game was a freak result as I've said elsewhere: it's also a game where we continued to go for the jugular even in the final moments - if Fotheringham takes the ball to the corner flag rather than hammering it off the bar, then there's every chance we'd be looking at 5 wins. 

On Saturday, we did what we needed to do. We set up in a manner which soaked up attacks on all but one occasion, and countered to great effect. We've played 8 games in a month: it's absolutely incredible to think that you'd expect for us to play some form of high pressing game under the circumstances.  McGlynn got it perfect. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

This forum is infested with an odious clique who seem to think they have custody of it and have authoritative opinions. Posts by those who are considered outsiders are subjected to hostile scrutiny. I don't give a shit, sometimes it's laughable, other times it's an irritant. I know who most of you are,  bunch of keyboard cowards welcoming each other's approval.

It's satisfying knowing that some of us here are not like you b*****ds.