Killie vs Raith Rovers

12 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Support a Championship club, so don’t frequent the Premiership forum.  From experience, I’d hazard a guess that most folk ARE coming at it from a sexist viewpoint. Leanne Crichton is a perfectly decent pundit based on what I’ve seen of her on the Championship live games. She’s done her research, watched teams, gets the game.  If you think she’s not up to scratch them that’s your opinion, but I think she’s a definite asset. 

I've not taken anything Leanne Crichton said seriously since the day she claimed on air without a hint of irony that "Robbie Neilson isnt one to make excuses when things dont go Hearts way."

I dont actually think she is very good to be honest. She's ok. No great, not awful. Certainly better than the likes of Hartson you mentioned earlier (but thats saying little, he's a buffoon). Shelly Kerr is better.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've not taken anything Leanne Crichton said seriously since the day she claimed on air without a hint of irony that "Robbie Neilson isnt one to make excuses when things dont go Hearts way."

I dont actually think she is very good to be honest. She's ok. No great, not awful. Certainly better than the likes of Hartson you mentioned earlier (but thats saying little, he's a buffoon). Shelly Kerr is better.

She's awful.  Crichton has improved immensely since she first appeared on the TV and radio.

On yesterday's game I thought we were awful and pretty pedestrian for much of the game.  We completely lacked width until Burke came on and resorted to a lot of punts into the box, most of which were aimless until the one we scored from.  Naismith rarely took anyone on despite being fast and strong - he's been a big disappointment so far, but I do wonder if he's been carrying an injury for a number of weeks.  Haunstrup repeatedly had no one to pass to when going forward the majority of the game. 

We are far too open at the back as well, hence how we lost all 3 goals, albeit the keeper should have saved the first goal. I like Hemmings and think he is a good keeper but appears to be prone to some schoolboy errors.  

We need to be better organised as a unit, which RR were - Benedictus and Berra both played well.   Raith closed us down and made it difficult to play through them, which made it even more surprising that he waited so long to get Burke and latterly Armstrong onto the pitch. 

In the end Rovers deserved their win as they got their tactics spot on - maybe TW could learn something about tactics as most people round about me hadn't a clue what his were, and that includes an ex Killie player. 

I always hated watching St Johnstone under Wright, as I always felt games involving them were boring, and unfortunately this appears to be the norm for us most weeks. 

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

One of those days where I'm gutted I couldn't be there. A fantastic result. 

I think the most pleasing aspect of the highlights is our second goal. Slight touch of fortune with the Killie defender not dealing with Macdonald's kick out, but the instinct and reactions from Poplatnik are excellent - a proper poacher's goal, that one, and something we've been badly missing up front. Varian is doing a decent job under very tough circumstances but I do think he's sometimes five yards behind where he should be and hasn't quite yet developed the instinct that Poplatnik showed there. More of this, please. 

The third goal is great too - phenomenal energy from Tumilty at that point in the game and puts it right on a plate for Poplatnik. Great counter attack, topped off by some top quality booing from the home support. 

There might be a huge dividend from Poplatnik’s brace. His first goal clearly boosted his confidence in his shooting, which had seemed lacking till now. His second goal was one taken by a confident forward, simply sweeping the ball home without trying to place it as far away from the scrambling keeper as he could, or perhaps trying to roof it and blasting a shot over. And, watching his and Tumilty’s communication, Poplatnik wasn’t getting frustrated that Tumilty didn’t lead the ball earlier, but quietly positioned himself where Tumilty could square it to him in front for the tap in.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There might be a huge dividend from Poplatnik’s brace. His first goal clearly boosted his confidence in his shooting, which had seemed lacking till now. His second goal was one taken by a confident forward, simply sweeping the ball home without trying to place it as far away from the scrambling keeper as he could, or perhaps trying to roof it and blasting a shot over. And, watching his and Tumilty’s communication, Poplatnik wasn’t getting frustrated that Tumilty didn’t lead the ball earlier, but quietly positioned himself where Tumilty could square it to him in front for the tap in.

Poplatnik did really well with the second goal. He initially looks like he wants the ball played between the goalkeeper and centre half before realising he might be offside so he checks his run slightly. Tumilty spots it and then it's a straightforward finish. Aiden Connolly was the closest behind the play too, so he's also put in a good shift to get up the pitch to make himself available. 

She's awful.  Crichton has improved immensely since she first appeared on the TV and radio.
On yesterday's game I thought we were awful and pretty pedestrian for much of the game.  We completely lacked width until Burke came on and resorted to a lot of punts into the box, most of which were aimless until the one we scored from.  Naismith rarely took anyone on despite being fast and strong - he's been a big disappointment so far, but I do wonder if he's been carrying an injury for a number of weeks.  Haunstrup repeatedly had no one to pass to when going forward the majority of the game. 
We are far too open at the back as well, hence how we lost all 3 goals, albeit the keeper should have saved the first goal. I like Hemmings and think he is a good keeper but appears to be prone to some schoolboy errors.  
We need to be better organised as a unit, which RR were - Benedictus and Berra both played well.   Raith closed us down and made it difficult to play through them, which made it even more surprising that he waited so long to get Burke and latterly Armstrong onto the pitch. 
In the end Rovers deserved their win as they got their tactics spot on - maybe TW could learn something about tactics as most people round about me hadn't a clue what his were, and that includes an ex Killie player. 
I always hated watching St Johnstone under Wright, as I always felt games involving them were boring, and unfortunately this appears to be the norm for us most weeks. 

Yes, Tommy Wright, a Scottish Cup winning manager who took St Johnstone to the top 6 on five occasions, including three 4th place finishes, needs to learn some tactics from some ex-Killie player sitting in the stands.

Disappointing that we don't have a solution to these games where we gift a team a goal then they sit in a low block. We have no answers. That's happened now at home v Morton, ICT and Raith. 

Thought we were awful first half and was amazed he didnt significantly change it at half time - moved Robinson about a bit but persisted with the same shite tactics. Was crying out for Burke for 20 or 25 minutes before he came on. A pathetically late sub that changed the game but was too little too late. Shat out of bringing Armstrong on because we had managed to get level. FFS show a bit of ambition. 

3 goals were all poor to lose but fair play to Raith for not settling for the point. No complaint whatsoever about the result. 

Not at all convinced about TW's ability to change a game. 

48 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Worth watching the Killie highlights from the other side of the pitch.

Looks pretty clear that Lang, accidently, undercut Bene as Bene attempted to jump for the ball on Killie's goal. Poplatnik's finish on his goals looks much more impressive too.

Controversially perhaps amongst Raith supporters, I wasn't the biggest fan of Armstrong at the Rovers. I didn't think he was nearly as good as he did and that his decision making and set pieces were pretty poor (a couple of notable exceptions apart). He left us once, couldn't get a game and we took him back. Left us again and is sitting on the bench again. To see him freshly on the park getting left for dead by that beast of a run by Tumilty was pleasing. He looks to have put on weight, or else was towing a huge invisible one. And then there's Murray. Pumped by the Rovers as a Par and pumped again at Killie. He must be fed up playing his old team. And what a team they are.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Leanne has a better handle on things than a number of so called pundits. I give you James McFadden for one. At least Billy Dodds is off air meantime [emoji2960]
To be fair to her it may have been the link to the game, the first I heard any mention of the game was when the first goal went in. After that she gets drowned out by the rest of them jumping in to talk about a pass or a miss.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

It's been hard for him so far in that he is clearly a classic winger who wants to get in behind using his pace (not that we saw much of that when he was chasing Tumilty back), but we are almost exclusively playing against teams who sit deep and don't give us any space to do that. At Raith there were going to be more games where teams opened up a bit against you and you were able to hit them on the break.

Don’t agree what Armstrong wasn’t good for us, but do agree that he looks heavier. Maybe just one of those situations where only a certain manager can get the best out of him.
Didn't say he wasn't good for us, just that I wasn't a fan and thought him a bit "Billy Bigtime". If he'd screwed the nut he might have got the development he needs, and who better at this level to deliver that than McGlynn and Smith?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app