Killie vs Raith Rovers

Back home, beer opened after a decent result for us. 

Thoughts, we bossed the first half and deservedly went in 1-0, second half Killie came out fighting and fully deserved their equalizer as they had us penned in at the back. After the subs the game became a bit more open and back and forward but Killie lost the chance to go 2-1 thanks to a superb MacDonald save which would have seen Killie win that game. After that the inevitable sucker punch at the other end then we defended well and took the chance on the counter attack. Overall an entertaining match.  

Disappointed by my Kilmarnock Pie, seemed pretty average maybe I just got a bad one. Stadium was decent with a good view of the game although the concourse looks a bit Soviet wasteland. Thought the Killie fans were really quiet, decent turn out but barely a peep out of them, strange for a team fighting for top.  Thanks for the parking tip found it no bother and a short walk to the ground. 

Rovers MOTM MacDonald 

Poorest Zanatta. (He gets to have an off day now and again)

Edited by San Starko Rover

Absolutely fantastic today. Feared a repeat of Wednesday night when we sat back in the second half and let Killie equalise. But the reaction after that was magnificent.  Nothing better than a breakaway goal to seal the game. Thought the support was fantastic. Euan Murray’s nonsense at the equaliser just made the final victory all the sweeter. Laurie Ellis in the crowd too. Perfect day. Fair play to the Killie fans on here. It’s nice to hear opposition fans give the team the credit for the win. When we’re at our best and playing the ball around we look so comfortable and are a joy to watch. 

5 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Fair play to the Killie fans on here. It’s nice to hear opposition fans give the team the credit for the win. When we’re at our best and playing the ball around we look so comfortable and are a joy to watch. 

Definitely, Killie fans on here seem a really good bunch as were the few I met going to and from the game today. I don’t know what McGlynn learned under Rodgers at Celtic but the last few season have been great to watch as a fan, we get the ball down and we try to play football Davo even joked about the difference in his attitude to the back four trying to play football during his first spell. 

I've had a perma-grin across my face since 16:45. Today's result is hardly the biggest shock in the world, but it was an absolutely outstanding afternoon and it'll go down as one of my favourite away days I've been on. We've sat for months waiting to get into games, watching matches via stream and it just had a bit of a hollow feeling to it. Today is a reminder of why I absolutely love both Scottish football and away days. 

McGlynn got it spot on tactically. It was hardly revolutionary but the set up with Lang and Tumilty on the right was perfect for a day like today. In possession, Tumilty could get into space down the wing, and when we were defending he could slot in and frustrate Killie. Great work from Dick to get the opening goal which seemed to take an age to drop into the net. 

Second half was one way traffic. It wasn't a surprise when Killie scored, and they looked like they would go on to win the game given our track record of conceding late goals. But full credit to Matej Poplatnik; I think everyone had written him off at this point but he did tremendously well to get into the position and show the composure to put us back ahead. Tumilty's burst down the right for our third was outstanding: he's up against Dan Armstrong (who was completely fresh) and he's powered away before having the composure to put the ball on a plate for Matej. 

The celebrations at the third goal, and at full time were absolutely outstanding. The away support today was tremendous and gave the players a vocal backing. At the end, you could see how much it meant to guys like Matthews, Tumilty and Dick.

Jamie MacDonald deserves a mention to: we're incredibly fortunate that we've got a goalkeeper of such quality. Some of the saves he made today were among the best he's had for us. Collectively, I think we've got a good squad and if we can get Lang and Musonda involved then it gives us a bit of room to play about with our depth. Many fans will look at the likes of Berra and be quite dismissive, but he was completely solid at the back today again. 

As for Killie, I think they'll win the league comfortably once they find their ruthless streak. We took our chances today when they came along - it was oddly reminiscent of the game we had against Queen of the South were we spent 70 minutes battering their defence but looking completely out of ideas. 

8 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've had a perma-grin across my face since 16:45. Today's result is hardly the biggest shock in the world, but it was an absolutely outstanding afternoon and it'll go down as one of my favourite away days I've been on. We've sat for months waiting to get into games, watching matches via stream and it just had a bit of a hollow feeling to it. Today is a reminder of why I absolutely love both Scottish football and away days. 

McGlynn got it spot on tactically. It was hardly revolutionary but the set up with Lang and Tumilty on the right was perfect for a day like today. In possession, Tumilty could get into space down the wing, and when we were defending he could slot in and frustrate Killie. Great work from Dick to get the opening goal which seemed to take an age to drop into the net. 

Second half was one way traffic. It wasn't a surprise when Killie scored, and they looked like they would go on to win the game given our track record of conceding late goals. But full credit to Matej Poplatnik; I think everyone had written him off at this point but he did tremendously well to get into the position and show the composure to put us back ahead. Tumilty's burst down the right for our third was outstanding: he's up against Dan Armstrong (who was completely fresh) and he's powered away before having the composure to put the ball on a plate for Matej. 

The celebrations at the third goal, and at full time were absolutely outstanding. The away support today was tremendous and gave the players a vocal backing. At the end, you could see how much it meant to guys like Matthews, Tumilty and Dick.

Jamie MacDonald deserves a mention to: we're incredibly fortunate that we've got a goalkeeper of such quality. Some of the saves he made today were among the best he's had for us. Collectively, I think we've got a good squad and if we can get Lang and Musonda involved then it gives us a bit of room to play about with our depth. Many fans will look at the likes of Berra and be quite dismissive, but he was completely solid at the back today again. 

As for Killie, I think they'll win the league comfortably once they find their ruthless streak. We took our chances today when they came along - it was oddly reminiscent of the game we had against Queen of the South were we spent 70 minutes battering their defence but looking completely out of ideas. 

Comfortably? Really? I don't think their squad has it in them to win it comfortably. 

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Loved that today

Ewan Murray giving us the bird at 1-1 a particular highlight.

Killie won’t  go far just passing it across the pitch.

Amazing energy from Tumilty for that last minute box to box run

Don’t think we can complain too much that he gave us a bit of abuse when we were singing he’s a sex offender 😂. Dan Armstrong getting boo’d was a bit harsh he’s never even played for the Townies but I did enjoy Tumilty showing him a clean pair of heels for the 3rd. . 

1 minute ago, pantene proV said:

Comfortably? Really? I don't think their squad has it in them to win it comfortably. 

They've got the depth and they're only 3 points off the top while putting in unspectacular performances. Hendry and Burke will add a lot to their team when they're both fully ready to play. 

8 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Who cares about Armstrong left us to be a bench warmer at the end oh the day , if killie don’t get promoted 😂😂😂😂

Left us twice to be a bench warmer. Would have been better staying with us might have got game time.

Can you tell us how we can get this ruthless streak to work, because I can’t see it. A few teams have remarked that they can see us winning the league this season. I just can’t see it happening.

9 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Who cares about Armstrong left us to be a bench warmer at the end oh the day , if killie don’t get promoted 😂😂😂😂

In fairness he left for probably a better salary and Kilmarnock being closer to his house.  I’ve nowt against the lad he may regret the move and he may not, some ex players deserve a bit of stick but others don’t. Players leave for many reasons Dan was a decent player for us as were Kieran MacDonald and Brian Graham.  Just don’t feel we have to boo a player as they’ve moved on but each to their own. 

47 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Berra has been absolutely outstanding for us since he’s joined. I was sceptical when he joined on a PCA, but he has been magnificent. Like someone we just needed at the back. The influence he’s had on everyone is plain to see, especially Bene. When you think about his career is no surprise, but genuinely so delighted we have him. He would walk into most lower to even mid level premier league teams in my opinion. An actual proper coup from McGlynn. 

Absolutely loved being in that away end today. It felt like some small compensation for all the games we missed. There are so many times that John McGlynn and this team should've been lauded at the end of a game, and they more than deserved it today. 

If you'd asked me before the game to name two players from the starting group who needed to step up, I'd probably have pointed to Ethon Varian and Liam Dick. Nothing pleased me more than seeing them combine - somewhat unusually - for the opening goal. 

Killie didn't seem to have much in terms of a strategy. It felt a bit like watching one of Barry Smith's League One Rovers sides. Stick out your best eleven and wait until their quality shines through. A lot of the time it'll work, but when it doesn't it's infuriating to watch. 

I'm sure a fit and firing Chris Burke would've asked more questions down the flank, but there should've been more jeopardy involved in McGlynn switching his full-backs into wing-backs. One of them scored the first goal near enough inside the six yard box and the other set up the third from the byline, but Killie made very little attempt to get in behind them. I know the goal eventually came from one, but hitting crosses and big diagonals from deep were a dream for Berra, Lang and Benedictus who were all imperious, Lang's miscommunication with MacDonald at the backpass aside. 

There wasn't a failure out there for the Rovers today, but a special mention for Brad Spencer and Ross Matthews. While Tait has garnered the attention and has taken the onus for being the point man in that midfield, those two have been excellent recently and they were tremendous today. Just really excellent use of the ball, and that almost telepathic partnership has developed to allow them to play their way out of bother as a duo. We'll never replace Hendry's technical ability in the middle, but they're offering a more than viable McGlynn-ball midfield engine room.

Big shout to Matej Poplatnik too. I'm going to be unfair to James Keatings here and make an assumption that at least part of his departure to Montrose was down to an unhappiness to play second fiddle to a teenager. Poplatnik has been in that boat too, but he looked good when he came on against Dunfermline, and he was obviously outstanding today. The touch and finish for the first is the kind of instinctive striker play we basically haven't seen from anyone other than Vaughan yet this season. And aside from his two goals, he also took the sting out of any potential Kilmarnock response every time the ball came near him. When he was out on the touchline keeping the ball off two Killie players and then, instead of going to the corner he went back up the line, waited for a third defender and then slipped Tumilty into the channel... if he was an opera singer I'd have thrown roses at his feet. Sublime. 

But just to go back to the support. The last time I felt like that was at Firhill just before the lockdown, and it felt like there was a proper connect between the team and the fans. I know lots of supports think that whenever they're winning, but I'm just glad it's us. There's a brilliant vibe in the travelling support in particular, and long may it continue. 

Karen Macartney should be on the phone first thing Monday morning to get a deposit down on a plinth for the John McGlynn statue. What a man. 

47 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Berra has been absolutely outstanding for us since he’s joined. I was sceptical when he joined on a PCA, but he has been magnificent. Like someone we just needed at the back. The influence he’s had on everyone is plain to see, especially Bene. When you think about his career is no surprise, but genuinely so delighted we have him. He would walk into most lower to even mid level premier league teams in my opinion. An actual proper coup from McGlynn. 

Reminds me of the Bobby Evans or Willie Polland or Davie  Narey influences from year's past. 

Matej Poplatnik's late double gave Raith Rovers victory away to Kilmarnock and moved the Kirkcaldy side close to the Championship top two.

And it is now three away wins in four for John McGlynn's side.

After Liam Dick's opener, the home side wasted chance to equalise through Jamie MacDonald and Stephen McGinn before on-loan St Johnstone forward Callum Hendry finally levelled on his debut.

But Poplatnik then scored his first goals of the season.

BBC don't even try with Scottish fitba anymore, do they? [emoji2]

You needed to have listened to open all Mikes on Radio Scotland. The lassie was absolutely fucking clueless.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk