Stenhousemuir -vs- Forfar Athletic

It's the biggest match in the SPFL this weekend as relegation-threatened Stenhousemuir taken on promotion-chasing Forfar Athletic at Ochilview. I, for one, cannot wait and think we'll have a blockbuster on our hands. Maybe.

I have absolutely no idea what we're going to get from Stenny but I suspect it will be something similar to last week against Elgin City. Stephen Swift, in his post-match interview, seemed broadly pleased with what he saw, scoreline aside, of course, and I think he'll go with a similar starting XI this time out.

I thought that while we had a lot of the ball, we looked slow and didn't created many chances of note against a limited Elgin side. If I was picking the team for Saturday, I'd restore Adam Corbett and Bernard Coll to the defence, deploy a midfield three of Nat Wedderburn, James Lyon and Michael Miller, and have Adam Brown and Euan O'Reilly supporting Robert Thomson in attack. But I'm not picking the team and we'll probably see Tam Orr caught offside many, many times.

It would be nice to get a win here and begin to lift ourselves from the lower reaches of the table but I worry Forfar will find the going pretty straightforward.

20 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

Has bj Coll been playing ? If so Craig Thomson to rip the pish out of him

You really seem to have a dislike of Bernard Coll. I wasn't expecting much from him but, to be fair to him, he's been okay. Not spectacular, but nowhere near as bad as you and your mates have made out.

30 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

You really seem to have a dislike of Bernard Coll. I wasn't expecting much from him but, to be fair to him, he's been okay. Not spectacular, but nowhere near as bad as you and your mates have made out.

He was genuinely awful for us last season, however, he was in a team way out of their depth and in League One so maybe he can do a job for Stenny.

I’m more intrigued to see if you guys play Forbes and Wedderburn together, have seen a fair bit of both in last couple of seasons and are two of the slowest players out there, both with talents but speed not being one of them.

Would imagine we would be along similar lines to last week and should have more than enough to win but would not be surprised if lack of taking chances bites us in arse again. If Ness is fit will be interesting to see if he is back in team as think Gallagher offers more.

5 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

He was genuinely awful for us last season, however, he was in a team way out of their depth and in League One so maybe he can do a job for Stenny.

I’m more intrigued to see if you guys play Forbes and Wedderburn together, have seen a fair bit of both in last couple of seasons and are two of the slowest players out there, both with talents but speed not being one of them.

We have played the pair of them in midfield together, and you won't be surprised to learn the combination doesn't work. Nat Wedderburn has been alright and can pick a nice pass here and there, but he does take several months to bring the ball under control. Ross Forbes, meanwhile, has been tried out in numerous positions with little success and we probably look a bit better when he's not in the team.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We have played the pair of them in midfield together, and you won't be surprised to learn the combination doesn't work. Nat Wedderburn has been alright and can pick a nice pass here and there, but he does take several months to bring the ball under control. Ross Forbes, meanwhile, has been tried out in numerous positions with little success and we probably look a bit better when he's not in the team.

We ended up playing Forbes up front by the end of his spell with us and he did OK but he really is a luxury player now and there’s not many teams could accommodate him.

Interesting to see BJ playing well. Maybe our recruitment last season wasn't entirely trash, just had a (sadly) incompetent manager at the helm.

While describing Forbes as a luxury player makes sense, he should play against us because as Irvine has said in interviews he's still working on our defending of set pieces as that (along with not taking chances in the box) is a weakness in our team and we all know how deadly Forbes is with FKs.

Will be an interesting game, Forfar should win but a 1-1 draw is always a very likely scoreline. 

Edited by Bridie Vision
Spelling Mistake

Coll was honking last season, but so were the entire team. Still fancy Craig Thomson to give him a hard time if he plays left back.

Stenny remind me a little bit of us last season, sign hunners of players with no clear plan from the manager on what to do with them and changing things every week with many baffling decisions. Seem to have some good players but already losing ground on the top 4.

Wedderburn despite having zero pace is a good player and I think he's scored against us for both Airdrie and Dumbarton. I think I liked Forbes more than a lot of Forfar fans but he's pretty much on the pitch for set pieces only these days

Would be disappointed to lose this, a draw wouldn't surprise me, but going for a 3-2 win for The Loons. Forbes direct free kick and a big Nat heider for The Warriors with Slater, McCluskey, Aitken and a Thomson winner for The Loons

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Guest mr_malcolm
I would doubt it for a couple of farmers & their sheep dogs but who knows

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bus load on way down annual away day