QP v Mo

We must get help for Murray up front, even if it means trying one of our talented guys out of position. McHugh is just a waste of space in my view. Fox was outstanding and was some find when we knew Grant was out for some time. Unfortunately Baynham's injury, whatever it was, has a much more significant affect on the team balance and we have suffered big time as a result. That said if we can achieve top spot for the first quarter with one hand tied behind our back the rest of the season can just get better and I now expect we shall be up there at the end of the season. The technical football we play is probably the best I have ever seen us play in sixty years. With Baynham and Quitongo in that team we would scoosh this league.

Huffed and puffed today but no real energy or quality. Simon and Bob aren’t effective at all. I’ve never watched them play and think they link well or have any chemistry. Both doing their own thing, and it’s not scoring goals. Also tricky when there isn’t a striker to come on from the bench. Need to be in the market for one or hopefully Baynham returns soon. 

Kilday looks really off the pace. Same as last week. Totally expected since he was injured but he needs to sort himself out quick. 

Chuffed for Smith getting his first goal. The pass from Doyle was great. 

The good news is we’re top of the league after quarter 1. I can’t see us holding that in the long run but we’re up there fighting. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

If that was meant to be a diamond in the middle, it didn’t work. Looked more like a 4222 and no one using the width. Murray and McHugh nothing like a partnership and I’d say Murray’s slump is a consequence of having McHugh in the team. After the subs came on, and widened the pitch, we looked much more lively and threatening. 

Biggest problem today was passing quality. For a team full of skill players who can control a ball quickly, why so many long passes back to front & side to side. The worst offenders were Connell and Kilday and unfortunately several others joined in. Nothing like the short, into-feet game that has ripped apart defences. Was this a tactical change by the coach or just individuals doing what suited them? Either way, we gave a ridiculous amount of possession away.

Fox was superb again and Doyle also had a good game, as did Robson on the left. Smith looked the most dangerous and might have done more damage had he use of the space Murray kept taking on the left. Brown had an okay day without influencing the game. Generally the midfield looked like strangers and badly needed some experience in there to run the show. If we play like this on Friday we might we’ll get scudded again by Killie.

Congrats to Mo. They certainly looked more like they wanted it than us and their effort and attitude were enviable. Harrying us from the start to finish. 

Just watched Laurie’s post-match and he seemed unconvinced by the words he was saying. Top of the league, just, is about right for one of the two full-time clubs with excellent training facilities, top level sports science and dietary control and a 28 man squad. Q1 report card says good effort, could do better!

A point each a fair result. To be undefeated and top of the pile (by one goal!) after round one isn't too shabby really given the injuries. Looks like we can add Brown and Doyle to that list. It's true though that we haven't really played that well at any point (first half against Peterhead aside?).

A good game for Fox, but the defence has looked ropey for a few weeks, and Kilday clearly needing more paternity leave. Morrison can't be too far away from a return to give us options. I'm keen to see Baynham return from his mysterious lay-off to partner Murray, who I think is working really hard, but less effective paired with McHugh, and pushed slightly left.

I'd take a heavy defeat to Kilmarnock with no fresh injuries.

Watched the game through the stream pretty good quality and the commentary team were a good bunch praised Montrose a fair bit.

As for the game the goal we lost was pretty sloppy not a clue where the guy came from or who was meant to be marking him.Good to get a deserved draw in the end and not lose the match.Queens are a good team big centre half at the back strolled it right good player,MOTM for me though was Cammy F Ballantyne strolled it in the middle of the park.

A draw probably was a fair result but Queens Park goal was a mile offside. How the linesman missed it I'll never know. In saying that, he made horrendous decisions all afternoon. The lino is there to help the referee but he was hopeless.

First half was very even with very little chances created. We looked a lot more comfortable in the second half when Waddle came on and we switched to a back three. Cammy F was excellent for us and Webster always looked lively. 

Can only echo most of the summaries before me. A draw was a fair result, I'm sure Montrose will probably be disappointed not to get the win given they created a few more chances than us. Smith continues to impress and Fox cruised through the game at the back, and he dug his centre half partner out a couple of times as well. Beginning to get concerned with Murrays slump in form, seems to have coincided with pushing him out left more frequently and I feel that's a waste of his talent out there. Hoping the knocks suffered by Connell, Brown and Doyle late on are not serious.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Top o the league. That's all you need to know.

Is it though? Yes being top of the league is nice, but if you look at the other four draws aside from today we should have won each of them, we were the better team in all of those games and yet again today we had the same issues that we have had all season. We are solid at the back, we have plenty of creative midfielders that love having the ball and we are playing some fantastic football, but in the final third we are toothless and continue to waste chances. Murray is our top scorer in the league and even then two of his five goals this season are free kicks. It has to be a concern that we are not converting the pressure we put on teams into shots on target and goals. Given we are top of the league on goal difference at this time, it shows this league is going to be incredibly tight and it's going to come down to who can see out games the best. And we are nowhere near good enough at that yet. 

I think that some need to realise we are no longer the plucky underdog that should be thankful for every point we get. We are now in a position where, given the resources at the club, we can be disappointed at not taking three points every week. 

Edited by Dave
Missing word

I would echo what has posted above. I would also praise the tackling by Montrose; the best I've seen this season; the amount of times we were dispossessed was alarmingly. That said, I did think that look the pitch is starting to show the effects of two games a week being played on it; two this weekend, it did look heavy and we were unable to move the ball with any zip consistently enough throughout the game.   

Edited by CathcartSkins

Any TV footage to go online. Just want to see if 100 Mo supporters were wrong and the linesman was correct to let QPs goal to stand. It looked like he was at least a yard offside when he received the ball. Not even a close call from our view. 

2 hours ago, PortyMo said:

Any TV footage to go online. Just want to see if 100 Mo supporters were wrong and the linesman was correct to let QPs goal to stand. It looked like he was at least a yard offside when he received the ball. Not even a close call from our view. 

The highlights  should be on by tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, PortyMo said:

The 100 Mo supporters may be right, but it is not where he was when he received the ball but where he was when the ball was passed to him. I was at the far end of the stand looking at it from a different angle than you guys, and it looked to me that his pace had taken him passed your defenders, but the TV footage will tell us tomorrow.

That's us on 17 points after 9 games. The lack of goals is an obvious concern but Cove Rangers have only scored two more, even with McAllister and Megginson up top, and Falkirk have scored one fewer.

It's fair to say most if not all five of our draws will feel more like points dropped than a point won, but if you look at the last seven winners of League One, they were all on a similar points total after the first round of games.

2021 - Thistle: 14 points
2020 - Raith: 19 points
2019 - Arbroath: 21 points
2018 - Ayr: 17 points
2017 - Livingston: 18 points
2016 - Dunfermline: 19 points
2015 - Morton: 15 points

Averages out at 17.6 points. Worth noting as well that Dunfermline went on to win the league by 18 points and Livi by 19.

I get that with the budget invested in players the expectation levels are in a different galaxy from anything any of us have experienced before as Queen's fans, but a quarter of the way in and we're in a great position to kick on and win the league. We're also only going to get better as the season goes on.

Top four was the realistic aim at the start. If we can mount a title challenge, then great. You can’t fake it in this league. Could get away with below par performances in League Two and still win. That’s highly unlikely to happen very often in League One. All the pressure is on Falkirk as far as I’m concerned. It’s becoming urgent for them as a club to get out of this league. It’s not absolutely imperative for us to go up, as brilliant as it would be.

Random thoughts:

Fox was outstanding again but, that said,  we looked a wee bit sloppy with the marking.  On the other hand, the man that had scored in the previous eight games didn't get a look in.  I thought Mo had done their homework and were right on top of our midfield, stopping the service to Murray.  They did it very well and maybe deserved their point.  Hopefully Liam Brown is OK for next week, but we have depth in midfield so we can rest him.  I'd be going for the win at Killie and not resting too many; I'm not a fan of dismissing this tournament.  Unless we lose, of course.

I know that there was a clamour for Connell to start as he is a guy who can score a goal, but did we miss Gillespie a bit too much?

Dave is right in that we should have picked up more points in the drawn games, but not them all.  Plus, we won a watch with the game at Falkirk; there's more than us losing points when they shouldn't have - which is why we are top of the league.  We do have considerable resources, but I'm assuming we're playing to a budget, or else we'd have staffed up over the close season to ensure we skated this division.   Largely speaking, we've stayed with last year's squad (I thought I heard someone say that the idea was to build a team last year that would challenge this year) and brought in loan players from decent clubs although, of course, we'll be contributing to their wages.

Cove and Falkirk will be well-funded too so I wouldn't be thinking automatically that we're sitting with the biggest budget.  We may well be, but you can see the distinct increase in quality of player compared to last year in this division.

Hopefully Laurie solves the issue up front.  He's trying two up but it's not been a roaring success yet.  It's the final piece of the jigsaw I feel; we seem to be pretty comfortable everywhere else.

8 hours ago, PortyMo said:

Think you might have been seeing double if you reckon that there were 100 Mo fans at the game.  I thought there was a Mo player at the far side keeping Smith onside.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Top four was the realistic aim at the start. If we can mount a title challenge, then great. You can’t fake it in this league. Could get away with below par performances in League Two and still win. That’s highly unlikely to happen very often in League One. All the pressure is on Falkirk as far as I’m concerned. It’s becoming urgent for them as a club to get out of this league. It’s not absolutely imperative for us to go up, as brilliant as it would be.

That’s a realistic take on it.

League one is a much tighter league, it can go any direction.

The two clubs I don’t envy are the East Fife and Falkirk. The Fifers especially must be raging and frustrated, and were dealt an unfair blow when they got fined £10k by Neil (I’m out to destroy Scottish fitba) Doncaster, but Falkirk seem stuck in a rut, and the pressure must be huge