QP v Mo

8 hours ago, PortyMo said:

Any TV footage to go online. Just want to see if 100 Mo supporters were wrong and the linesman was correct to let QPs goal to stand. It looked like he was at least a yard offside when he received the ball. Not even a close call from our view. 

The 100 were wrong 

4CAC017E-BE9D-4707-9DDA-8BE554E37DE9.thumb.png.3aac818775d65a87e2af6151afda7388.png

5 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Fair enough. Looks like a good call by the lino. He shat it big time after that and was scared to give a decision until the ref had given his.

To be fair, on the video it was a split second of a difference. Linos are trained to look right across the pitch but as a fan it's natural to follow the ball. Been there myself. It was a beautifully weighted pass and cool finish by our lads.

30 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Yes good call by the linesman, and nice play by Doyle and Smith.

Kilday, Smith and Brown ball-watching for the Montrose goal though. Number 10 plays a pass then allowed to jog right through the penalty area to finish on the goal line as if he was invisible.

Yep, schoolboy stuff in defence but I'd have to lay it at Brown's door as he was the only one with the runner in sight. Kilday was also poor at both goals last week but I gave him the benefit of doubt due to fitness. Looked even more out of it yesterday. But was great against Falkirk.🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I'd be going for the win at Killie and not resting too many; I'm not a fan of dismissing this tournament.  Unless we lose, of course.

Couldn’t agree more. I cringe when I see lower league fans dismiss this cup and act snooty. How can lower league fans look down on any cup competition? Should support the ugly sisters with that attitude. I’m sure fans will be interested if their team got to a final. 

On 01/10/2021 at 21:56, PortyMo said:

Disappointed to see this shifted to Sunday as quite a sizeable amount were planning to travel through for this match. Unfortunately due to the train situation,  most have cancelled. 

Oh aye, Sunday football is shite right enough but if a sizeable amount were planning to travel down, could they not have organised a supporters' bus or two? 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think you boys are kidding yourselves on.

Not at all. Falkirk and Cove have already had a kick at the ball at this level and I fancied them to be the top two. Signing policy changed from better known names to younger guys as well and we’ve not strengthened considerably on last season. I think most QP fans would take 3rd or 4th, but I could be wrong. 

It’s not the Gretna that some folk think it is. They were signing experienced guys directly from Aberdeen and Dundee United. We’re a group of good solid pros who should be competing as a top four side. I think it’d be jumping the gun to expect anything beyond that.

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not at all. Falkirk and Cove have already had a kick at the ball at this level and I fancied them to be the top two. Signing policy changed from better known names to younger guys as well and we’ve not strengthened considerably on last season. I think most QP fans would take 3rd or 4th, but I could be wrong. 

It’s not the Gretna that some folk think it is. They were signing experienced guys directly from Aberdeen and Dundee United. We’re a group of good solid pros who should be competing as a top four side. I think it’d be jumping the gun to expect anything beyond that.

I don't think your model is remotely comparable to Gretna but you're the only club in this league with quite literally millions in the bank, and therefore favourites for the league. I'd be willing to bet that Laurie Ellis isn't telling your squad that "top 4 is the aim", fans might deem that an acceptable outcome but I highly doubt that was your clubs aim at the start of the season. Nobody else in this league is able to call on Liverpool for a youngster, or pull a guy out of Celtic's squad that could (and probably should) be playing at a higher level. 

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think your model is remotely comparable to Gretna but you're the only club in this league with quite literally millions in the bank, and therefore favourites for the league. I'd be willing to bet that Laurie Ellis isn't telling your squad that "top 4 is the aim", fans might deem that an acceptable outcome but I highly doubt that was your clubs aim at the start of the season. Nobody else in this league is able to call on Liverpool for a youngster, or pull a guy out of Celtic's squad that could (and probably should) be playing at a higher level. 

Apparently the reason Mckinnon left us was because of a difference of opinion over our goals for this season. He wanted to go all out for back to back promotion whereas the club (while looking to be in the championship sooner rather than later) were content to consolidate ourselves in league one and develop the squad for the longer term.

Fans of other teams will always tend to just see the headlines about our finances and assume we're 'doing a gretna' but all the noises from the club are that we're trying to build a self sustaining model that will hopefully work its way up through the leagues as and when we're ready to do so.

Time will tell what we'll achieve in the long run but so far we seem to be laying a good foundation for steady growth.

6 hours ago, an86 said:

We’re a group of good solid pros who should be competing as a top four side. I think it’d be jumping the gun to expect anything beyond that.

Given we've already beat Falkirk and Cove that's a bit of a slap for the regular players in the team. Most of the squad have experience at Championship or above. Our loanees are from Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Liverpool...hardly ordinary. We have a bigger squad than both Falkirk and Cove. We have a state-of-the-art training facility including a dedicated kitchen and dining area. A dedicated sports scientist and physiotherapist, both recently highlighted in detail on QPTV. We have the capability to train on grass or artificial, both next to each other on the same site as the dining room, medical suite and gymnasium. 

Aside of all that, we have seen these guys at their best already and it's withering a bit already. After Mo's goal on Sunday only Mike Doyle was trying to lift heads...there was an awful lot of moods going on. They're full time employees, well paid by all accounts, well looked after. Anyone who has paid to get in deserves the very best they can offer every week. And from what I've seen of all other teams now, we should be aiming for first.

46 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Given we've already beat Falkirk and Cove that's a bit of a slap for the regular players in the team. Most of the squad have experience at Championship or above. Our loanees are from Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Liverpool...hardly ordinary. We have a bigger squad than both Falkirk and Cove. We have a state-of-the-art training facility including a dedicated kitchen and dining area. A dedicated sports scientist and physiotherapist, both recently highlighted in detail on QPTV. We have the capability to train on grass or artificial, both next to each other on the same site as the dining room, medical suite and gymnasium. 

Aside of all that, we have seen these guys at their best already and it's withering a bit already. After Mo's goal on Sunday only Mike Doyle was trying to lift heads...there was an awful lot of moods going on. They're full time employees, well paid by all accounts, well looked after. Anyone who has paid to get in deserves the very best they can offer every week. And from what I've seen of all other teams now, we should be aiming for first.

I didn't mean good solid pros as any sort of slight. I'm glad we have guys like that, rather than guys who think they are on easy money and half-arse it. I'm not saying we can't or won't challenge for the title, I just don't know if I'm sure we have the capacity to put teams away consistently. Not always, but most of the time, the team winning the title in a standard 36 game season will have a 20 goal per season guy. I'm a big Murray fan, but I'm not convinced he'll hit that number.

As Ben Reilly said, it looks very much like a building blocks type season and if we hit the jackpot then great. For me, the big thing is getting Quitongo back. No idea when that'll be, but he offers us something totally different. Maybe I am underselling us, but my brain is programmed against optimism. It's always the hope that kills you. Either way, talking about whether we're getting up to the Championship, or not, is a refreshing conversation to be having.

Queen’s Park have the millions to get the team they want. There’s no doubt that any other club would do the same and that’s fair enough. But how big is the fan base, and how long do these millions last? The further they go, the more they spend.

Some clubs did well for many years (not to name them but you will probably know yourself), because they were getting money pumped by a wealthy fan(s) but then that money stops when they get bored, or fall out with the chairman or pass away or whatever. Then the team sinks back down to beyond where they came from.