QP v Mo

Our hardest game, so far, in some respects. The likes of Falkirk away was a free hit. The expectation is there because we’re at home against a team we’ve traditionally done pretty well against. The reality is that both clubs have transformed into very handy League One sides. I don’t expect there to be a great deal between the teams.

Whilst I don’t necessarily see it as a must win, as I think everyone will drop several points at home, the team who does it least is likely to be in with a real chance of the title. If we can create in the same way we did last Saturday, we’ll give ourselves a decent platform to try and win the game. We can’t afford to switch off like we did against Peterhead because Montrose simply have better players and it’ll be far tougher to get back into the game if we do.

I expect a good, open game with plenty of chances at both ends. Hopeful that we can sneak it 2-1. 

Both teams have certainly moved on (via different means admittedly) since we last met. Looking forward to what I expect to be a close game.

With Montrose being strengthened by a returning loan midfielder from the Premiership, it’s definitely time for one of ours (Luca Connell) to start although a big decision as to who he comes in for. With Thomson winning man of the match last week maybe it will be Grant Gillespie who drops out, something that would have been unthinkable a few weeks ago.

34 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

For those who use public transport to get to Firhill, bear in mind that there's no trains on a Sunday just now due to a long running strike.

Underground is ok though.

And anyone using the M8, note that Rangers v Hibs kicks off at 3pm also. Could a Mo fan let their coach driver/s know please. 

43 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

For those who use public transport to get to Firhill, bear in mind that there's no trains on a Sunday just now due to a long running strike.

Underground is ok though.

Nae bother, getting the 6 bus over there every week is such a fuckin joy. Especially the way back 

I’d definitely agree with the opinion that this could potentially be our toughest game of the season so far. Montrose have consistently been a strong outfit for a fair few years now and there’s no doubt that this wont be a walkover. It’s some turnaround from the days where playing Montrose was deemed as an easy 3 points.

I think it’s now abundantly clear that Luca Connell has to start the game, no question. I think this may result in Gillespie being dropped which was unthinkable a few weeks back. Thomson cannot be dropped based on last week. He was superb in breaking up play, passed the ball well and scored the winner. He might not have the xfactor like Connell and Brown but he does fit in the system very effectively and his off the ball running to be in the right positions defensively is somewhat underrated I’d say 

Play with the same intensity and purpose as last week and we’ll hopefully win the game. Would be nice to end the first quarter of the season top and undefeated 

Edited by qpfc

I’d be very surprised to see Gillespie dropped. Thomson had a good game last week but has been decently ordinary prior to that. Connell should start if he has 90 mins in the tank. Importantly, I don’t see Laurie changing his tried and tested format unless we start scoring 3 or 4 regularly, and I’m sure Mo won’t allow that. So it’s Gillespie and Thomson in the holding line for me. Kilday’s obviously still not as sharp as he’d like so he needs some protection too.

I still have a query over the starting striker. If Murray could control his energy at the final moment he’d score more and be the default. McHugh has shown a glimmer of whatever made him a Legend at Falkirk including a nice assist for Thomson and a few very near misses. The two together seems a luxury though. Having all 3 goals last week from open play would suggest a bigger midfield presence so I’ll go for Connell, Brown and Smith. 

Mo have Webster top of the scorers table and Milne top of the assists. What can possibly go wrong?

Disappointed to see this shifted to Sunday as quite a sizeable amount were planning to travel through for this match. Unfortunately due to the train situation,  most have cancelled. 

I feel we've got to take something from this game as don't want to let QP  and others pull away from us. Still gutted after blowing the 2 goal lead last week.

Hopefully a good attacking game with plenty goals.

2-2 for me.

Edited to add, Webby with at least one of ours.

Edited by PortyMo

35 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How was the game today, a 1-1 draw about fair? Surprised no stats on BBC sport. 

Interested to hear what the attendance was? Not often we get a Sunday 3pm KO

I thought a 1-1 draw seemed fair overall. It wasn’t the best game, I don’t think either team showed anywhere near the quality they have in other games this season and there weren’t too many clear chances for either side. I was in the Montrose end which wasn’t too busy, which I think is to be expected given the lack of trains on a Sunday, but I’d imagine there were a fair few other neutrals there too in the Queen’s Park end. 

That’s the fourth time I’ve seen Queen’s Park this season and every time it’s the same issue. They knock the ball about really well, they have lots of midfielders who are good on the ball, but they seem to struggle creating clear cut chances. Simon Murray is usually pretty busy up front but he was fairly quiet today and Bob McHugh was barely in the game either. Their diamond shape probably suited their technical midfielders but thing never really clicked for the front two. Both sides defended pretty well which probably led to few chances for either attack. I thought Charlie Fox was the best player on the park.

Montrose were organised and Webster always looked a threat in behind. James Keatings struggled to make too much of an impact on the game and doesn’t really look match fit. Cammy F Ballantyne was excellent, always looking to get forward and I think he’ll be a big player for them once again this season. 

That was just rubbish today, no other way to put it in all honesty. We looked slow, cumbersome and generally posed no real threat to Montrose other than the goal itself. Too many players had an off day and it looks to me that Murray’s confidence has drifted in recent weeks as he looked out of sorts the whole game. The problem with that is that we have no direct replacement that can fill in for moments like that as it seems that Baynham is still a few weeks away from featuring. 

Credit to Montrose however, first time watching them under Petrie and they look a smashing outfit with some excellent bits of play going forward. Webster especially looked a constant threat and was glad to see him subbed. They’ll be up near the top all season 

Positives for me were the performances of Smith and Fox. Smith is a terrific wee player and is the type of player that we’ve missed throughout the season so far. Took his goal brilliantly and massive credit to Doyle for the excellent assist. If we’re still in league 1 next season, I’d be very surprised to see Charlie Fox stick around as he’s absolutely too good for this level. He’s a giant, can defend properly and his composure and decision making on the ball is second to none. Easily my man of the match 

Assessing the first quarter of the season, the word that comes straight to mind is ultimately frustration. Of course I’m absolutely delighted to be top and undefeated, however I feel like we’ve had numerous opportunities to pull away at the top and screwed it up. Hopefully when Quitongo, Morrison and Baynham return from their respective injuries that those frustrating draws will turn into more consistent wins 

My 2nd game on holiday, both sides struggled throughout- passing into space rather than to a man, creating few clear cut chances. I thought Queens played a bit better after the goal, whilst Montrose had numerous crosses where no one was on the end, in the 6 yard box. Hard to judge these two sides, must have played better this season. Good crowd 596, fair result on the day.