Old school fantasy football

Sortmeout

Anyone got any stories about the old mail order fantasy football that you used to get pre-internet days.

I remember being tempted to do this when I was maybe 14 or so (year 2000) but after getting the initial pack through and having to pay to play never bothered. Then by the time I was old enough to pay my own way anything like this seemed very antiquated.

Any of the older posters have experience with this. My main question around it to start the conversation off is how were results decided? Was it just the company you paid who sent the results back or were you playing against other real people?

Yup, I did the play-by-mail thing when I was about 13ish (around 1992). It seems ludicrous now when thinking about it but at the time it seemed okay.

I can't remember too much about it but a few of my mates and I had teams. I can remember sellotaping twenty pence pieces to the form each week, must have been about a pounds worth, mental when you think about it nowadays.

I played it in the mid 90s in my early teens and ran enough teams to blow through all my pocket money. Can remember getting on the landline to broker the sensational transfer of Teddy Sheringham (87 rating) to whoever I was managing - only for some middle aged guy in Romford (?) to talk me into Willem Van Der Ark (78) instead.

I did one for about a year or so with my cousin and some of his mates. Some sort of European mixed league, my cousin was Auxerre and I was Standard Liege.

You had to send away your tactical instructions including what subs you'd make at what times depending on the score at the time. Also remember there used to be a transfer list and it also gave phone numbers for other "managers". There was a family in England that managed dozens of teams, seems crazy looking back that at about 10 or 11 I was phoning some random guy down south to negotiate for a back up goalie[emoji38]

I remember the match reports being very entertaining albeit repetitive once you'd played for a bit. Fair play to the people running the game as there must've been some amount of admin for it.