Scotland squad name at October

Craigieboy86

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It was a joke pal, major woosh for you.

Im not sure why an Ireland fan who actively celebrates our players doing badly would be concerned anyway.

I appreciate there was an attempt at humour but let’s be honest what you were insinuating what people thought of O’Donnell wasn’t remotely true.
Also Just because I was born in another country doesn’t mean I can’t keep an eye out on the Scotland team. I have never actively ‘Celebrated’ a Scotland player* doing  badly either so please stop the constant lies.

Spoiler

* I do insert the Mcburnie being injured clause for the euros as an exemption 

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

I appreciate there was an attempt at humour but let’s be honest what you were insinuating what people thought of O’Donnell wasn’t remotely true.
Also Just because I was born in another country doesn’t mean I can’t keep an eye out on the Scotland team. I have never actively ‘Celebrated’ a Scotland player* doing  badly either so please stop the constant lies.

Hide contents

* I do insert the Mcburnie being injured clause for the euros as an exemption 

Yes you have

I’ve seen it said a lot that Hickey is both footed and that, but has he ever, in his professional career, played a game at right back? I’ve not watched a lot of him, as I’m neither a Hearts nor Bologna fan, so I genuinely don’t know.

If he has done it a number of times, then great. If he hasn’t, then I’m not entirely convinced that Israel at home is the time to give it a try. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve seen it said a lot that Hickey is both footed and that, but has he ever, in his professional career, played a game at right back? I’ve not watched a lot of him, as I’m neither a Hearts nor Bologna fan, so I genuinely don’t know.

If he has done it a number of times, then great. If he hasn’t, then I’m not entirely convinced that Israel at home is the time to give it a try. 

You’re right, Israel at home is simply a gargantuan task for this squad and manager to overcome.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think he maybe played there twice for Hearts. I can see him slotting into that position for Scotland in the long-term, but not right now.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

You’re right, Israel at home is simply a gargantuan task for this squad and manager to overcome.

It's an absolutely massive game against our nearest challengers for the play-off place.

Edited by craigkillie

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Which only highlights how playing a 29 year old who peaked as an average mid-table spfl player, is a terrible idea.

O'Donnell is obviously a player with limitations, and his delivery is consistently poor (albeit he actually has a couple of assists to his name for Scotland and has played a key part of a few goals) and we do need something better in the long run so as to not seem quite so imbalanced, but performances like the one he put in at Wembley, and actually both matches versus Austria, show he is far more capable than you are giving him credit for here. 

Whilst he wasn't able to capitalise on the several excellent positions he got himself into in the away game, he was defensively solid in that match (and made good runs forward even if his final pass, cross and shot wasn't quite up to it) and kept Alaba fairly quiet at Hampden. He also had a good game in Serbia. 

I think everyone is hoping Patterson can make the jersey his, that guys like Ramsey continue to develop, force their way into the squad and that they become the future of the position, but at the moment, given Ramsey's inexperience and Patterson's very irregular game time, as well as the guys own performances in several big games for Scotland, O'Donnell merits his place as first choice, in my opinion. 

Just now, AndyDD said:

O'Donnell is obviously a player with limitations, and his delivery is consistently poor (albeit he actually has a couple of assists to his name for Scotland and has played a key part of a few goals) and we do need something better in the long run so as to not seem quite so imbalanced, but performances like the one he put in at Wembley, and actually both matches versus Austria, show he is far more capable than you are giving him credit for here. 

Whilst he wasn't able to capitalise on the several excellent positions he got himself into in the away game, he was defensively solid in that match (and made good runs forward even if his final pass, cross and shot wasn't quite up to it) and kept Alaba fairly quiet at Hampden. He also had a good game in Serbia. 

I think everyone is hoping Patterson can make the jersey his, that guys like Ramsey continue to develop, force their way into the squad and that they become the future of the position, but at the moment, given Ramsey's inexperience and Patterson's very irregular game time, as well as the guys own performances in several big games for Scotland, O'Donnell merits his place as first choice, in my opinion. 

Well its all about opinions andy big tits, and I take yours onboard.

I agree O'donnell can punch above his weight occasionally, England was probably his best for Scotland.

I've nothing against the guy, I've only been having a laugh. He turns up and gives 100%. 

His poor performances largely outnumber the good ones tho, the guys a very limited footballer at international level. The more time he actually has on the ball the worse he gets. We also don't know how others would have done in those games.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I agree O'donnell can punch above his weight occasionally, England was probably his best for Scotland.

I've nothing against the guy, I've only been having a laugh. He turns up and gives 100%. 

His poor performances largely outnumber the good ones tho, the guys a very limited footballer at international level. The more time he actually has on the ball the worse he gets. We also don't know how others would have done in those games.

Undeniably true, and it does speak volumes the amount of times there is space out on the Scotland right to exploit because the opposition are so concerned with our left flank and can and do get away with it as they know the chances of O'Donnell capitalising on it are slim. 

The amount of times we should have gotten a goal or at least a chance from this out in Austria was crazy. 

And hawl you, ya auld crooner; my eyes are up here. 

I would definitely disagree that he’s had more poor games than good ones, he’s rarely let us down across 20+ games. He’s a limited player but he’s not in the team to be a main attacking outlet for us. He’s proved his worth in games like Wembley and Vienna where he marshalled high quality players. From what little I’ve seen from Patterson, I don’t think he has a defensive performance like that in him.

I would say we should be looking to introduce the likes Patterson and Ramsay against weaker sides as they offer more going forward.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

I would definitely disagree that he’s had more poor games than good ones, he’s rarely let us down across 20+ games. He’s a limited player but he’s not in the team to be a main attacking outlet for us. He’s proved his worth in games like Wembley and Vienna where he marshalled high quality players. From what little I’ve seen from Patterson, I don’t think he has a defensive performance like that in him.

I would say we should be looking to introduce the likes Patterson and Ramsay against weaker sides as they offer more going forward.

As wing back in a back 5 he very much is meant to be an attacking outlet.

As for letting us down, I wouldn't use that phrase. As its not his fault, the guys playing to his limits. But in 2 out of 3 games he was very poor in every aspect. In 3 out of 3 games he was very poor going forward.

As wing back in a back 5 he very much is meant to be an attacking outlet.
As for letting us down, I wouldn't use that phrase. As its not his fault, the guys playing to his limits. But in 2 out of 3 games he was very poor in every aspect. In 3 out of 3 games he was very poor going forward.

Maybe against weaker sides but away against similar or against better sides I would disagree, especially as we have two left sided defenders who are likely to push into the opposition half.

He wasn’t good in 2 of the 3 games that you’ve mentioned but from watching almost all of his 20+ caps, he’s had more good games than bad.

I’m, I’m likely biased, but has Ramsey not been a stand out in an appalling Aberdeen side and Patterson been a bit player in a The rangers side?
Realistically I don’t want Ramsay injured playing for Scotland (self preservation and all that) but there’s no excuse for picking the bluenose ahead of him at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you think, you probably cant get a harder game to call than Scotland v Israel, two incredibly evenly matched teams, last 5 games have been 1-1, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1 and 1-2 so I don't see Clarke chopping and changing the team or trying experiments so i would expect him to stick with O'Donnell given Patterson's lack of game time.

I would say if Patterson plays any part in any of Ranger's two upcoming games then he has to start. I recall Alan Hutton going through long periods of not playing at Spurs yet starting every international. O'Donnell gets a fair bit unwarranted stick but he is the major weak link in the team, as good an away performance as Austria was i lost count of the amount of times we had good moves and it just broke down completely as soon as he was in possession. 

18 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Whatever you think, you probably cant get a harder game to call than Scotland v Israel, two incredibly evenly matched teams, last 5 games have been 1-1, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1 and 1-2 so I don't see Clarke chopping and changing the team or trying experiments so i would expect him to stick with O'Donnell given Patterson's lack of game time.

I would say if Patterson plays any part in any of Ranger's two upcoming games then he has to start. I recall Alan Hutton going through long periods of not playing at Spurs yet starting every international. O'Donnell gets a fair bit unwarranted stick but he is the major weak link in the team, as good an away performance as Austria was i lost count of the amount of times we had good moves and it just broke down completely as soon as he was in possession. 

You've missed out the 3-2, which is the actual 5th game in the sequence of 'last 5 games'. The 2-1 win for Israel in Israel would be 6 games. 

Pedantic, I know. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

You've missed out the 3-2, which is the actual 5th game in the sequence of 'last 5 games'. The 2-1 win for Israel in Israel would be 6 games. 

Pedantic, I know. 

Ok yeah, just illustrates the point further that it will be a tight game despite these people that continuously say "we should be hammering these teams"

14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Absolutely agree he shouldn't be near the squad, Patterson, Hickey, Ramsay all better players already.

O'donnell somehow is first choice, probably for his experience....... at motherwell. Yet he was probably the worst footballer at the entire euros.

While Hickey at 19 is first choice in serie A. A level O'donnell could only dream of getting to. 

P.S

Before its mentioned again, yes Hickey has been playing left back. But can play right back as well. 

The big striker for Turkey (Yilmaz?) wins this particular award (Ballon de Merde?). Utter dugmeat throughout. O'Donnell was imperious against the neighbours. 

I’m, I’m likely biased, but has Ramsey not been a stand out in an appalling Aberdeen side and Patterson been a bit player in a The rangers side?
Realistically I don’t want Ramsay injured playing for Scotland (self preservation and all that) but there’s no excuse for picking the bluenose ahead of him at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two very obvious reasons, consistently of squad selection and also the fact that Patterson is a player with a great deal of potential who could very clearly go on to be a Scotland player for the next 10 years or more if he improves defensively.

6 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Thats the thing, the system actually shows up O'Donnells faults. With wing backs he is expected to get forward be part of the offence and play football. He can't do this. So as you say moves break down generally when he gets involved.

If we were playing a back 4 then it would make more sense having a  supposedly good defender at right back. As less would be expected going forward.

20 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

O'donnell somehow is first choice, probably for his experience....... at motherwell. Yet he was probably the worst footballer at the entire euros.

Some of the flack O'Donnell gets is bizarre. He's not a world beater but he's a solid enough player who does the job asked of him by Clark.  There are more heralded players in the squad who have had poorer games than O'Donnell's worst and there are others others who haven't had performances as good as his better games.

I sincerely hope Patterson develops into a top class right back but he's 19 and barely done anything other than look promising but defensively raw so far and isn't troubling Rangers starting XI.

I'm happy with both in the squad, I think it's the right balance of incumbent and potential but if either one is lucky to be there then it isn't O'Donnell.