Scotland squad name at October

Craigieboy86

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s a good point. Our squad had the fewest caps of any squad at the euros so it’s important that the core of our team keep playing together. Even now, we only have Robertson and Gordon on over 40 caps with McGinn, McGregor and Hanley in the 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that will be Clarke's thinking. Yes, you want to call up the most in form players at that moment, but equally, he will want as much continuity from squad to squad as possible.

I'd rather the predictable Craig brown era squads than the randomness of the berti vogts era.

If there is a player who is good enough and markedly better than those that are in, such as Gilmour was, then they will come in.

I suspect the guys on the fringes, like Hickey, Gauld, Henderson etc will be well aware how close they are to the squad. When the time is right, they will get their chance. Mind, there will be injuries and call offs, so if any, I could see Hickey step up from u21's. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

Regarding Nisbet, Ross said at the weekend that he hasn't been training recently and they've been trying to manage him through games because he doesn't have many other options with Doidge out long-term.

Did he not recently have covid as well? Maybe still affecting him slightly?

5 minutes ago, red23 said:

so you'd take him to the world cup?

Right now, there is absolutely no question that you’d take SOD to the World Cup. Patterson hasn’t played a single league match. Ramsay is probably the stand out in a badly out of form Aberdeen side just now - but he’s a young player who still has a long way to go. Who else is there?

I’m not even a huge fan of SOD - I wouldn’t have him in front of Shaun Rooney in my St Johnstone side just now - but there’s no question he’s going to Qatar if we qualify unless something drastic happens.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Right now, there is absolutely no question that you’d take SOD to the World Cup. Patterson hasn’t played a single league match. Ramsay is probably the stand out in a badly out of form Aberdeen side just now - but he’s a young player who still has a long way to go. Who else is there?

I’m not even a huge fan of SOD - I wouldn’t have him in front of Shaun Rooney in my St Johnstone side just now - but there’s no question he’s going to Qatar if we qualify unless something drastic happens.

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, the biggest problem we have is Patterson not playing as then he'd be a stick on. The concern is that Patterson will always remain ahead of Ramsey in the pecking order despite not playing. But with Ramsey and Patterson we have another potential Tierney/Robertson type situation and we need to get them firmly established in to the team asap.

It's a shame we can;t give them both experience but if Patterson is not going to get games this season he needs to be removed so we can focus on Ramsey instead. We can accept O'Donnell as a placeholder until it happens but it's a when not if.

Edited by red23

Just now, red23 said:

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, the biggest problem we have is Patterson not playing as then he'd be a stick on. The concern is that Patterson will always remain ahead of Ramsey in the pecking order despite not playing. But with Ramsey and Patterson we have another potential Tierney/Robertson type situation and we need to get them firmly established in to the team asap.

Patterson looks very promising but honestly, he needs to go on loan or move away from Rangers because sitting on the bench is doing him no good at all. Right now he’d be more likely to be dropped from the squad than become first choice right back. 

7 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

FAXsmWoXMAQLjf2?format=jpg&name=large

Patterson, McGregor, McLean, Fraser, McLaughlin and Armstrong not involved first team with premiership game to injury and bench 

McKenna not good enough in Scotland 

Rooney - Patterson

Clark- McLaughlin

O'Hara - McGregor

Magennis - McLean

Gauld/Jamie Paterson (Swansea city) -Armstrong

Hanlon - McKenna

GMS - Fraser

3 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Patterson, McGregor, McLean, Fraser, McLaughlin and Armstrong not involved first team with premiership game to injury and bench 

McKenna not good enough in Scotland 

Rooney - Patterson

Clark- McLaughlin

O'Hara - McGregor

Magennis - McLean

Gauld/Jamie Paterson (Swansea city) -Armstrong

Hanlon - McKenna

GMS - Fraser

You know this isn't Super Scoreboard right?  They're the kind of decisions you make when you're tired and angry with Football Manager

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Obviously, yes.

Wasn't good enough at Euros, won't any better in a world cup.

I'd rather we took better, younger players who will get experience from it going forward.

Edited by red23

Just now, red23 said:

Wasn't good enough at Euros, won't any better in a world cup.

I'd rather we took better, younger players who will get experience from it going forward.

Absolutely agree he shouldn't be near the squad, Patterson, Hickey, Ramsay all better players already.

O'donnell somehow is first choice, probably for his experience....... at motherwell. Yet he was probably the worst footballer at the entire euros.

While Hickey at 19 is first choice in serie A. A level O'donnell could only dream of getting to. 

P.S

Before its mentioned again, yes Hickey has been playing left back. But can play right back as well. 

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey are all involved in the Scotland set up at various levels, they're not being ignored and they will get their chance at some point. I say let them wait - the harder you work to achieve something the more you value it.

Stephen O'Donnell has earned the trust of Steve Clarke since Scotland were suffering against Belgium and Russia and has built up a volume of international experience which the manager has repeatedly said is important.  Relationships between people are fundamental to building a team which is something that seems to get lost on here.

13 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Cannae say that, on here O'Donnells the second coming of Cafu. He only plays for motherwell to do them a favour.

I have literally not seen anybody suggest that O’Donnell is some sort of wondrous talent, or even streets ahead of his rivals for the rb slot. To many he’s still the best out of what is still a bad lot really so that’s no reason really to be overreacting about it because somebody’s opinion differs slightly to yours. 

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

I have literally not seen anybody suggest that O’Donnell is some sort of wondrous talent, or even streets ahead of his competitors. To many he’s still the best out of what is still a bad lot really so that’s no reason really to be overreacting about it because somebody’s opinion differs slightly to yours. 

It was a joke pal, major woosh for you.

Im not sure why an Ireland fan who actively celebrates our players doing badly would be concerned anyway.