Thistle vs Ayr 2nd October 2021

First half was quite poor all round I thought, although both goals were well taken. Second half was significantly better, and Tiffoney in particular was great. He looked, in the first half, to be lacking the confidence to take his man on, but he had the beating of him every time he did it in the second, which is great to see. Graham did extremely well for his goal too, although I'd be furious about that one if I was an Ayr fan. I thought Hastie did fairly well when he came on, a couple of decent balls into the box just in the wrong area. And Akinola and Mayo were good at the back, although I'm still concerned that Mayo seems to get bullied off the ball by just not being as strong as the striker quite often. But a good performance from everyone today, basically. 

I'm pretty certain that Sean McGinty was at fault for at least three of those goals as well, lost his man for the first, easily beaten in the Ayr by Smith for the second - despite Smith being about a foot shorter than him - and then the third was either an own goal by him or his man scoring again. Horrendous performance, up there with some of the worst efforts we saw from him in his time with us. Adeloye looked good and, despite conceding four goals, I thought Albinson did well with a couple of decent saves. Other than that though, complete dross. 

Deserved victory, although 4-0 probably flattered us as I didn’t come away from that today feeling that we’d been particularly great. Better defensive shape today with players back in their natural positions, although it’s hard to tell just how much the lineup/formation had an impact as Ayr really didn’t offer much at all. Akinola in particular was excellent, and looks like a must start going forwards.

On the visitors, Adeloye looks like a good player but just doesn’t have a lot to work with. Lovely stuff seeing that big useless oaf McGinty on the end of a 4 goal defeat, and particularly if it was indeed him scoring an own goal for the third (I didn’t see it from where I was).

I get the feeling we’ll have a few similar results this season, and also drop plenty of points due to our defensive frailties.

Really poor from us today. Maybe slightly forced by absences, but if we're going to to revert to sitting in and playing for a draw we need to defend better than that. All the goals were examples of poor defending. What's the point of a giant like McGinty if he can't win a header in his own box?

In midfield it felt like Murdoch was toiling on his own and was completely outnumbered, and up front we offered nothing. I know Moffat is a club legend and this might be heresy, but I just don't think he has the legs anymore. I think he's going to be more effective off the bench against tired legs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Really poor from us today. Maybe slightly forced by absences, but if we're going to to revert to sitting in and playing for a draw we need to defend better than that. All the goals were examples of poor defending. What's the point of a giant like McGinty if he can't win a header in his own box?

In midfield it felt like Murdoch was toiling on his own and was completely outnumbered, and up front we offered nothing. I know Moffat is a club legend and this might be heresy, but I just don't think he has the legs anymore. I think he's going to be more effective off the bench against tired legs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Said it before the game, but you can’t play Moffat in that type of team. He needs midfielders in support to link up with - it would be completely unfair to judge him in such a negative set up. 

We looked a bit slow and laboured going forward, especially in the first half, but keep chucking crosses into a box containing Sean McGinty and you'll generally get a goal or four. I would laugh at Ayr United for deciding to employ him, but we did the same once upon a time and should be thoroughly and eternally embarrassed by that. 

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Whenever you need a lift after your teams own performance Ayr always deliver.

Duffball.

How did the DKB get on m77?

Edited by jagfox BLM

I thought Thistle were impressive at times but then I also thought in the first half they were absolutely there for the taking. Adeloye looked like he was going to absolutely murder Mayo all game and probably should’ve scored when he brought the ball down and blasted it over the bar.

The shiteness of our defending absolutely shone through today and for all that Fjortoft, Baird and McGinty have done well recently, they were awful today. McGinty looked like he was at fault for at least 2 goals, Fjortoft managed to fall over in his own box at the Smith goal which gave Brian Graham the freedom of Maryhill to pick out a cross and Baird is just utterly inept unless he has a really solid partner in defence.

McAllister was poor for the first time today although I’m absolutely convinced he’s not a full back and we need to try to play him at centre back or in midfield.

Salkeld and Maxwell looked okay when they came on but Duffy had his plan to try and get to half time without conceding and felt a back 5 was best suited to dealing with, what is on paper, probably the best front 4 in the league with Graham, Rudden, Smith and Tiffoney. It didn’t work obviously but I never felt that Duffy resorted to Hopkin like tactics. We tried to play with the ball a lot of the time instead of punting it which is already miles better than anything Hopkin offered up.

Anyway a decent performance to get back on track. I thought Tiffoney had a great game and Akinola was good at the back. Was good to see players playing in their preferred positions along the backline. Doc and Banzo pulled the strings effectively in the middle of the park. Don't think Sneddon had a save of note. 

Ayr go straight in with Morton as the worst sides we have faced this season. That includes the lower league sides we faced in the League and Diddy cup.Hand Rub Smiling GIF

Think I need to start looking at our lineup before deciding to leave the pub again, another whiff of 5 at the back and I'll no waste my time.  I hope it's the last we see of it.  

The three fucking idiots we use as centre backs amaze me, if you asked any three people who was the worst they'd all have a different guy and that says plenty.  

Sad 2 c the Moff have such an awful game as well, his first touch was like he had boots made of iron, minging. 

Can only hope lessons have been learned today and absolute fucking nonsense like playing Jack Baird or Aaron Muirhead taking corners never happens again.