Livingston v St. Mirren, 02/10/21

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, though the arrival of Ronan has clearly been what was missing. Fairly damning indictment of Kiltie who was meant to be doing the same thing and was well short of the task.

Today I guess it's a straight choice between Erhahon and Main to start, depending on whether we play two sitting CMs or two strikers.

Ronan has definitely helped. However, I know the boo boys have started, but I think Millar has also made a big difference purely by giving us some balance on the right and being someone that knows that position.

Both have made a difference, just in different ways.

Edited by aldo_j

19 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I don't get this at all, I thought we did a really good job of keeping the ball and playing out of defence even in injury time.

Agreed , we could have played till Xmas and Livvy wouldn't have scored !

26 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Ronan has definitely helped. However, I know the boo boys have started, but I think Millar has also made a big difference purely by giving us some balance on the right and being someone that knows that position.

Both have made a difference, just in different ways.

We’re definitely looking a far better team than we were before Miller came in. He does give that balance that we were lacking and he’s better there than Tait. 

I do find him frustrating to watch at times though , final pass and decision making isn’t always the best. 

Yet to lose a game with him in the side though so absolutely no need for any boo boy nonsense from anyone 

Not exactly entertaining today but then again I really didn't expect it to be. Our back 3 mopped up everything but MoM by a mile was Power. He has been a bit inconsistent this season but playing ok however today he was immense. Won every tackle and played some great wee passes. Hopefully he has now found his feet and can play like that most weeks. Well done lad.

2 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I don't get this at all, I thought we did a really good job of keeping the ball and playing out of defence even in injury time.

Indeed.

The most comfortable I've ever seen us play out a 1-0 lead.

Also, Power was head and shoulders above the rest, although I thought our back three were great too.

When Power concentrates on playing football, and avoids booting the opposition unnecessarily, he's a huge asset to the team.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

What's happened from that incredible run last season? 

Most managers have a bit of an identity, so when a new manager joins a club you can usually guess what the system will start to look like. With Martindale being a new manager and not a well known player, he had a real element of surprise. In addition to that he would mix things up and change formation during the game. 

Problem is the unpredictable things became predictable, and everyone cottoned on that he'd change formation during the game (mainly because he mentioned it in an interview) which made it easier to set up against.  

His identity ("philosophy"?) is being unpredictable, which apparently only works against Celtic, and doesn't seem to know himself what our best team is or what system best suits the squad. At the start of the season he talked about us playing exciting attacking football, and the 4-3-3 seemed to back that up, but we're still just lumping long balls up which ironically would probably still work if he signed a CB or two to play a 5-3-2.

TL;DR - he told everyone his big secret and now just massively overthinks everything. 

20 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Most managers have a bit of an identity, so when a new manager joins a club you can usually guess what the system will start to look like. With Martindale being a new manager and not a well known player, he had a real element of surprise. In addition to that he would mix things up and change formation during the game. 

Problem is the unpredictable things became predictable, and everyone cottoned on that he'd change formation during the game (mainly because he mentioned it in an interview) which made it easier to set up against.  

His identity ("philosophy"?) is being unpredictable, which apparently only works against Celtic, and doesn't seem to know himself what our best team is or what system best suits the squad. At the start of the season he talked about us playing exciting attacking football, and the 4-3-3 seemed to back that up, but we're still just lumping long balls up which ironically would probably still work if he signed a CB or two to play a 5-3-2.

TL;DR - he told everyone his big secret and now just massively overthinks everything. 

Is Nicky Devlin just coming back from injury and that’s why he was a sub today? He’s always looked pretty good any time I’ve seen him so was surprised to see him not start the game. 

Edited by Saint Shug

Got to say, while we weren't great today I thought we played some really good stuff at times. We created plenty of chances but lacked that cutting edge which is probably due to lack of strikers on the park. Could Davie have done better managerially? Yes...but to lay the blame solely at him today is mental when Stryjek has thrown another one in...all the managerial nous on the world can't account for mistakes like that. Thought for the most part Fitzwater, Omeonga, Holt and Forrest looked good. Shinnie as a false 9 was a one off...no moe of that please. I'm not sure what the solution is but ousting Martindal begs the question....who else? Who's going to come to Livi for probably very little money and change it? My thinking is Marv as assistant was maybe the wrong move.... definitely would have him as a coach but I think Davie and the team would have benefitted more from an experienced assistant. We know Davie has been involved with the running of the team for a while but he's always had a more experienced head alongside him in Hoppy and Holt.
In summary:
Am I happy with the season so far?
Far from it
Do I think this squad can stay up?
Yes
Do I think we should sack Martindale?
No, he knows the players and has proven before that he can get the best out them
Do I think something needs to change?
Yes. Tactics, set pieces and individual mistakes need to be fixed
Am I a happy clapper?
Certainly not with the way I was ranting and raving earlier today

32 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Is Nicky Devlin just coming back from injury and that’s why he was a sub today? He’s always looked pretty good any time I’ve seen him so was surprised to see him not start the game. 

Think he was just burst from playing so much lately, first game he's missed in a long time

15 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
Got to say, while we weren't great today I thought we played some really good stuff at times. We created plenty of chances but lacked that cutting edge which is probably due to lack of strikers on the park. Could Davie have done better managerially? Yes...but to lay the blame solely at him today is mental when Stryjek has thrown another one in...all the managerial nous on the world can't account for mistakes like that. Thought for the most part Fitzwater, Omeonga, Holt and Forrest looked good. Shinnie as a false 9 was a one off...no moe of that please. I'm not sure what the solution is but ousting Martindal begs the question....who else? Who's going to come to Livi for probably very little money and change it? My thinking is Marv as assistant was maybe the wrong move.... definitely would have him as a coach but I think Davie and the team would have benefitted more from an experienced assistant. We know Davie has been involved with the running of the team for a while but he's always had a more experienced head alongside him in Hoppy and Holt.
In summary:
Am I happy with the season so far?
Far from it
Do I think this squad can stay up?
Yes
Do I think we should sack Martindale?
No, he knows the players and has proven before that he can get the best out them
Do I think something needs to change?
Yes. Tactics, set pieces and individual mistakes need to be fixed
Am I a happy clapper?
Certainly not with the way I was ranting and raving earlier today

Good summary and basically where I am at the moment. Don't agree regarding lack of interest around the position but aside from that think you're spot on. 

Said recently I think Martindale has taken too much on and you're probably right that an experienced assistant would have helped him. 

My fear is that he's becoming stubborn for the sake of it, almost wanting to prove the fans wrong at all costs despite the tactics not working. Slagging off the supporters today isn't great either, it's been a dreadful run of form for us since the cup final (regardless of the strength of the opposition) and I can understand people getting pissed off. 

With the exception of the VLs, no one is actually expecting us to be top 6 as he tried to claim. What we do expect is the attitude and style of play that has served us well over the last 3 seasons rather than the passive shite we've been served up for the majority of this season. 

The Celtic game showed we still have that fight, we need to show it more often. 

Edited by EdinburghLivi

32 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Feels like most of our team is injured "not up to speed" or "just coming back from injury"

Keaghan Jacobs

Scott Pittman

Craig Sibbald

Jack McMillan

Jaze Kabia

Tom Parkes

Harry Panayiotou

Ben Williamson

Cristian Montano

Adam Lewis

Sean Kelly

Plus Andrew Shinnie and Odin Bailey going off injured today

9 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Feels like most of our team is injured "not up to speed"

This repeated Martindale line pisses me off as well. With seemingly no reserve league, how are we getting these players up to speed? It's not acceptable that we have a squad of 27 and he claims we are filling up the bench with injured players. Simply don't buy that we have more than 9 players unavailable.

Edited by EdinburghLivi