Livingston v St. Mirren, 02/10/21

Last game before the international break, and looks an important one for both. As we all know Livi are a tough nut to crack at home - they beat Celtic in their last game at the Spaghettihad - so it would be a surprise to no one if they were to get the three points here.
We are on a decent run of form ourselves though, unbeaten in four tough looking fixtures and we’ve started scoring too. After a bit of early season tinkering we seem to have found our best 11 and I expect Jim to stick with the team that started against Aberdeen - assuming Brophy has recovered from the treatment he got from the Aberdonian hammer throwers.
A win will likely see us move up to the sunlit uplands of 7th and give us a nice early cushion above the bottom two spots. Lose by a couple and we could end the weekend in 10th, below Livi, and in the thick of it.
I’m sure it will be another tight game. In our seven games against top flight non Old Firm opposition this season there hasn’t been more than a single goal in it. I would be surprised if there was here and a draw is the most likely result. It finished 1-1 between us in the League Cup there last month after all, and I would take that again - at least we can’t lose on penalties this time.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

- assuming Brophy has recovered from the treatment he got from the Aberdonian hammer throwers.

I certainly welcome the new protocol for concussion/head injury substitutes. What I have not found online is whether there is a time limit imposed on return to action. For example if it was seven days he would miss the Livingston game. 

53 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I certainly welcome the new protocol for concussion/head injury substitutes. What I have not found online is whether there is a time limit imposed on return to action. For example if it was seven days he would miss the Livingston game. 

Seven days if it's a legit suspected concussion, but you're allowed straight back if you were just trolling Stephen Glass.

Goes without saying, but this a massive game for us. First home match of the season against a team which, more than likely, will be in the bottom six along with ourselves, so the vast majority of the excuses wheeled out over the last two matches won’t wash. 

Expecting a big performance but I’m not so sure we will deliver one. Taking a bit of hope from the game earlier in the season where we should’ve really had the game wrapped up before we gifted St Mirren essentially an open goal to equalise, but wouldn’t say we’ve kicked on since then and the Maureens have come into a bit of form. 

0-2.

We drew 1-1 at Livi recently while playing Jim's hoof ball (which that pitch is maybe better suited for). But since then he has seen the error of his ways and now uses a midfield and we have looked a lot better and what's on offer is far more enjoyable for the spectator. But please Jim, just one sitting midfielder as we are still shite with two. Tight game but I think we will improve on that last performance so Away win.

A few injury issues coming into this one as we continue to struggle. 

The team, hopefully might look something like this:-

Stryjeck

Devlin  Obileye Fitzwater Longridge

Holt, Shinnie Omeonga

Bailey                                           Forrest

Anderson

He might decide to shove Williamson into midfield and Shinnie up front but I don't think we'll be far away from that line up. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Assuming we'll stick with the 3-6-1 that seems to be allowing McGrath and Ronan the freedom to play. Though perhaps Main's physicality will be useful.

Brophy has recovered from his genuine concussion and should be fit to start.

On paper it sounds exciting, with Tanser crossing in from the left as well. Seems to work better with Brophy as a lone striker, sadly for Main. Brophy has been excellent and the goals have been coming.

Need to give the gaffer time with this system, it paid of big style with StJohnstone giving Davidson time last season.

My worry is Livi seeing the 2 cheap goals we gave away from set pieces last week and Livi's reputation for taking advantage of set pieces.

25 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

My worry is Livi seeing the 2 cheap goals we gave away from set pieces last week and Livi's reputation for taking advantage of set pieces.

If you think we'll do anything from a set piece then you're in for a treat. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

On paper it sounds exciting, with Tanser crossing in from the left as well. Seems to work better with Brophy as a lone striker, sadly for Main. Brophy has been excellent and the goals have been coming.

Need to give the gaffer time with this system, it paid of big style with StJohnstone giving Davidson time last season.

Yeah, though the arrival of Ronan has clearly been what was missing. Fairly damning indictment of Kiltie who was meant to be doing the same thing and was well short of the task.

Today I guess it's a straight choice between Erhahon and Main to start, depending on whether we play two sitting CMs or two strikers.

Aye that was the Livi from a couple of seasons ago, we're shite at set pieces now, both attacking and defending them. Our best, and prob only decent set piece taker is out on loan to Accies too, Sibbs is about the only other Livi player that can take the odd decent one, but he's injured, which leaves Forrest and Bailey, less said about those 2 the better where set piece taking is concerned.

Obileye would be the obv target man from them, but we take mostly short corners and hit the ball along the ground to the first defender. Sometimes we get one right and then Fitzwater is no bad at getting onto 2nd balls in the box, those are few and far between.

Basically what LiviLion said is the short and not long winded version.