Rangers vs Hibernian - 03/10/21

Ryan Porteous, “a reckless thug” or whatever you like to call him has had a grand total of 2 red cards in his career in the SPFL in 78 appearances.

By ways of comparison Ryan Jack has had 7 in 279 games, Danny Swanson had 6 in 212 games, Martin Canning had 6 in 129 games, Barry Robson had 7 in 200 games, Eggert Jonsson had 4 in 134 games, Sol Bamba 3 in 98 games.

Are they all reckless thugs aswell?

If Porteous’ reds hadn’t both been televised and had a few Rangers fans tweeting Nicola Sturgeon asking for her to condemn the tackle then his reputation would be completely different.

Red today was totally based off reputation, it was a lunge, aye but he didn’t fucking touch Aribo, he’d also have got sent off if he started boxing him, but I’ve never seen a red card for someone boxing fresh air.

Folk that don’t watch him every week claim he’s shite but he’s just getting better and better, tough one to take for him today but I look forward to having him back in the team, he’s a smashing player.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just watched the Porteous red card incident - never a red in a million years - a really bad decision.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Much as I wanted Hibs to keep 11 players on the park, that was as red as a red you will ever see. Challenge coming in at 100 miles an hour, leg a foot off the ground, studs showing to the opposition player. Contact or no contact, red card.

10 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Ryan Porteous, “a reckless thug” or whatever you like to call him has had a grand total of 2 red cards in his career in the SPFL in 78 appearances.

Red today was totally based off reputation,

If what you’re saying is true, he can’t have a “reputation”.

Wasn't even a foul, Porteous cleared the ball with his trailing leg and Aribo wasn't near him. The scum roar and Walsh is the toast of the lodge. That's how Sevco go 67 games without collecting one red card (bar the 4 retrospectives on them). VAR is needed up here badly if any team outside Glasgow is to challenge. Would like to use the EPL VAR ref also so it's clean of bias. Hearts will get done the same their in two weeks and as much as I hate them I want to see fair play. 

5 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Wasn't even a foul, Porteous cleared the ball with his trailing leg and Aribo wasn't near him. The scum roar and Walsh is the toast of the lodge. That's how Sevco go 67 games without collecting one red card (bar the 4 retrospectives on them). VAR is needed up here badly if any team outside Glasgow is to challenge. Would like to use the EPL VAR ref also so it's clean of bias. Hearts will get done the same their in two weeks and as much as I hate them I want to see fair play. 

He clears it with the back of his trailing leg. Because he’s gone over the ball that much.

Those claiming it wasn't a sending off because Porteous didn't make contact don't understand the basic rules of the game.

If player 1 aims a haymaker of a punch, but player 2 manages to duck out of the way, player 1 should still be sent off.

Porteous' tackle was a potential leg-breaker because his airborne lunge was high and totally out of control.

It's not as if Aribo was inconsiderate and should've left his leg in position to have it shattered just to prove a point! 

10 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

By ways of comparison Ryan Jack has had 7 in 279 games, Danny Swanson had 6 in 212 games, Martin Canning had 6 in 129 games, Barry Robson had 7 in 200 games, Eggert Jonsson had 4 in 134 games, Sol Bamba 3 in 98 games.

Are they all reckless thugs aswell?

If Porteous’ reds hadn’t both been televised and had a few Rangers fans tweeting Nicola Sturgeon asking for her to condemn the tackle then his reputation would be completely different.

Red today was totally based off reputation, it was a lunge, aye but he didn’t fucking touch Aribo, he’d also have got sent off if he started boxing him, but I’ve never seen a red card for someone boxing fresh air.

Folk that don’t watch him every week claim he’s shite but he’s just getting better and better, tough one to take for him today but I look forward to having him back in the team, he’s a smashing player.

He's also had a straight red in a league Cup game, well over 30 bookings and regularly flies into tackles like that, including for the Scotland u21 team.

There's nowt to achieve with that tackle, even if you want to wrongly argue that the contact he makes is relevant to the recklessness of the tackles.

And at least a few of those players you mention certainly did have a reputation as hot-headed

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

52 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Exactly what I said, 2 red cards in TV games against Rangers.

He also should've had a third red card for a similarly wild lunge on Coulibaly a couple of seasons ago. We seem to rile him up for some reason.

1 minute ago, Les Cabbage said:

Or maybe old firm fans should pay attention to clubs other than their own from time to time.

Why? Are you on top of who the centre back is at Ross County and how well he's doing or his disciplinary record? Or do you judge them by games played against your team?

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

He's also had a straight red in a league Cup game, well over 30 bookings and regularly flies into tackles like that, including for the Scotland u21 team.

There's nowt to achieve with that tackle, even if you want to wrongly argue that the contact he makes is relevant to the recklessness of the tackles.

I don't think Porteous is a 'reckless thug', but as you pointed out he has a long history of flying into tackles exactly like that, almost always in a desperate attempt to cover up for poor positioning or some mistake he's made. 

Until his reading of the game improves, he's never going to become a better player and a lot his game will consist of last second, desperate lunges. 

The funny thing is, Hibs fans know this better than anyone and regularly criticise Porteous for this. But when you point it out they fly off the handle. 

Weird...