Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell - 2 October 2021

37 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

tbf you created almost nothing outside of those goals.

I think hearts were better but they weren't cutting through us and missing sitters.

They had one shot in each half

19 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

We had several chances and your goalie a decent save or two. There was also GMS' brainfart attempt from 40 yards when a pass to one of two players would've seen a third. Oh, and the missed penalty. We could've had six, easy.

Motherwell good in patches but far too dirty.

We handed you a win, you did little in the match, we weren’t good enough 

51 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Handed us a win.

Motherwell fans aren't half salty.

Nae need for salt, well beaten on the day no matter how some might try to twist the stats. Hearts well worth their win and will be right up there for the European spots come the end of the season. 

Bad day at the office for us, but no matter what happens in tomorrow's games we'll still be in the top 4. Better than even the biggest optimist could have predicted after the Airdrie debacle. 

A wee reality check but still feeling positive about the season ahead. 

Up the 'Well.

The first goal comes from cutting Motherwell open. Once we were 2-0 up and comfortable there wasn't as much of an onus on creating chances for the remaining 70 minutes, but we still did.

McKay had a moment early in the second half when he just had to roll it across the six-yard box for Boyce but blazed it out for a throw. Devlin had a shot just wide from about 8 yards out just before the second penalty. Then there was the penalty itself, which came from Devlin being in a good position at the corner of the 6-yard box. Baningime had a good effort well saved from inside the box. There was a great move which led up to Halliday slicing a volley wide from the edge of the box. GMS just had to get his effort on target late on (and should have played Boyce in for a one-on-one anyway).

Watt should have scored his chance and Woolery should have done better with his, but it would have needed a very good finish from there to beat Gordon. There were other chances, but they weren't anything better than we had in the second half even excluding the fact we missed a penalty.

We played some good stuff today, created plenty and were well in control of the game until the penalty miss/Halkett injury. Motherwell put us under pressure after that and on another day it might have finished 2-2, but the same could be said of 3/4-0 for us.

Nae need for salt, well beaten on the day no matter how some might try to twist the stats. Hearts well worth their win and will be right up there for the European spots come the end of the season. 
Bad day at the office for us, but no matter what happens in tomorrow's games we'll still be in the top 4. Better than even the biggest optimist could have predicted after the Airdrie debacle. 
A wee reality check but still feeling positive about the season ahead. 
Up the 'Well.

That’s the spirit!

I thought both the pens and the free kick were dubious at best, and on another day it would have been a draw. We played okay and still won, which is the mark of champions*

*I'm now officially on brand  we'll win the league until at least November when we usually run out of steam

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I thought both the pens and the free kick were dubious at best, and on another day it would have been a draw. We played okay and still won, which is the mark of champions*

*I'm now officially on brand  we'll win the league until at least November when we usually run out of steam

The first penalty looks dubious until you see the angle from behind the goals - Kelly pulls out of the challenge but his knee catches Boyce. I'd agree the second one is on the soft side (although it also should have been retaken).

I couldn't remember the challenge for the free-kick until I watched it back just now and it's as blatant a foul as you can get.:lol:

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

The first penalty looks dubious until you see the angle from behind the goals - Kelly pulls out of the challenge but his knee catches Boyce. I'd agree the second one is on the soft side (although it also should have been retaken).

I couldn't remember the challenge for the free-kick until I watched it back just now and it's as blatant a foul as you can get.:lol:

In my defense I've only seen them back now. They looked soft at the time but I'm happy to admit my mistake!😅 

Guest superward
1 hour ago, DC92 said:

So the only angle the officials couldn't see....I'd have been shouting for it was it us to be fair. Just found it odd that the referee was 100% certain from his angle to overrule the linesman who gave a corner. You can't guess doing that and I think he has. Big call to make and I've seen them not given. 

Edited by superward

1 hour ago, superward said:

So the only angle the officials couldn't see....I'd have been shouting for it was it us to be fair. Just found it odd that the referee was 100% certain from his angle to overrule the linesman who gave a corner. You can't guess doing that and I think he has. Big call to make and I've seen them not given. 

The keeper didn’t need to continue his run when he knew he wouldn’t get there first.  What was Boyce going to do with the ball if he had kept it in?

59 minutes ago, ropy said:

The keeper didn’t need to continue his run when he knew he wouldn’t get there first.  What was Boyce going to do with the ball if he had kept it in?

In ascending order  of coolness lay it off to Smith, Round the keeper and score, or find Cochrane who was steaming into the box at a rate of knots but Kelly wouldn't be sure what was happening behind him

Fundamentally once Mugabi was caught flatfooted Kelly was in a serious predicament. From the moment He and Boyce set off I expected him to force a penalty

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In ascending order  of coolness lay it off to Smith, Round the keeper and score, or find Cochrane who was steaming into the box at a rate of knots but Kelly wouldn't be sure what was happening behind him

Fundamentally once Mugabi was caught flatfooted Kelly was in a serious predicament. From the moment He and Boyce set off I expected him to force a penalty

I was happy with Kelly setting off but he had to realise he wasn’t getting there, Boyce was angling away from goal and on the goal line, by the time he turned Kelly should be back in his goal and there are 5 defenders back.  Boyce may have picked out an excellent pass but nothing else in the game suggested that would happen.

A bit early but I would be interested if Hearts have any feedback from their Covid ‘trial’.  At the game it was all very cordial, if you had a pass head for pass guy, if not head straight in.  At pass guy I showed my paper copy, he had a glance, thanked me and sent me on into the ground.

Will they have gleaned anything from that?

3 hours ago, ropy said:

A bit early but I would be interested if Hearts have any feedback from their Covid ‘trial’.  At the game it was all very cordial, if you had a pass head for pass guy, if not head straight in.  At pass guy I showed my paper copy, he had a glance, thanked me and sent me on into the ground.

Will they have gleaned anything from that?

At the gorgie end they just asked en masse if people had the passports. Never checked or asked anyone specifically, in fact I seen them tell someone offering to show theirs that they didn't need to see it. 

Tbh its unworkable and I don't envy anyone being asked to check them.