Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell - 2 October 2021

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Also it appears that the enforcement of the Vaccine passports is being pushed back to the 18th October. So I doubt there will be that many issues with the Herats vs Motherwell game atleast.

I'd be wary of rogue stewards enforcing it off their own back - I'm taking my credentials :)

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Missed the weekend with injury. Looking at the Scotland squad, there is no one I think that he would obviously be ahead of, even though he's had a strong start to the season.

1 hour ago, JamieThomas said:

Aye, basically what a few folk have said. McKenna is a donkey.

Edited by Busta Nut

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Halkett was injured, of that i've no doubt, wasn't a head injury though, and he would've struggled to go on. Regardless of Hearts going down to 10 men in that game, you'd still have strolled it, but it seems a flawed system easily exploited. The physio etc will surely see if it's a concussion, when assessing a head knock, and err on the side of caution taking the player off.

I missed saturday's match so I can't comment on the Halkett incident. It was more of a general observation

I was suggesting that if a player has had a head knock with the game still in the balance and the alternative is the team being left with 10 men there will be strong pressure on the physio to give the player the benefit of any doubt and let him play on. 

Regardless of how these rules are set up people are going to game them and I don't expect Hearts to be significantly  more, or less scrupulous than other professional football clubs around the world

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I missed saturday's match so I can't comment on the Halkett incident. It was more of a general observation

I was suggesting that if a player has had a head knock with the game still in the balance and the alternative is the team being left with 10 men there will be strong pressure on the physio to give the player the benefit of any doubt and let him play on. 

Regardless of how these rules are set up people are going to game them and I don't expect Hearts to be significantly  more, or less scrupulous than other professional football clubs around the world

Yeah i've since had a good debate on this with a journo on the Livi fans FB page, and can see there is no way around this being abused. He said the SPFL review these concussion incidents, but even so it would be difficult to prove one way or the other, as the brain can hit the inside of your skull when you fall and hit the ground, i had this once when i fell off a ladder going onto a roof, didn't bang my head but the sudden stop when i hit the ground gave me a concussion for weeks afterwards, least wee movement when i turned in bed and i was dizzy and throwing up. So i can accept it isn't always obv when a player will get a head knock.

My main concern though was if a player goes off and a concussion sub is used, esp after all 3 subs have come on, there should be an automatic 12 day lay off period, but it was pointed out to me this was unfair on the player's right to work, and will effect his income on bonuses etc, even keeping him out further because another player coming in could take his place for further games after doing well. And that he may well have been dazed at the time and erred on the side of caution coming off, but was fine later on and didn't have a concussion. There is no doubt players/managers will take advantage of this though, but the alternative is as you say, player not coming off when concussed, then being seriously in danger afterwards, so at the price of it being abused, it isn't worth not having it to save a player's well being. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Every week will be like that game against Killie (?) a few years ago when we had to make all 3 subs in the first half because our players couldn’t go 5 minutes without smashing into each other’s skulls.

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Presumably there's no limit on concussion subs?  Would be good to go 1 up then make 6 head knock subs

Having had a look at the rules after we used a concussion sub for Brophy after using all 3 subs, I think you are only allowed 2 per game, which also allows the opposition and extra sub.

12 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah i've since had a good debate on this with a journo on the Livi fans FB page, and can see there is no way around this being abused. He said the SPFL review these concussion incidents, but even so it would be difficult to prove one way or the other, as the brain can hit the inside of your skull when you fall and hit the ground, i had this once when i fell off a ladder going onto a roof, didn't bang my head but the sudden stop when i hit the ground gave me a concussion for weeks afterwards, least wee movement when i turned in bed and i was dizzy and throwing up. So i can accept it isn't always obv when a player will get a head knock.

My main concern though was if a player goes off and a concussion sub is used, esp after all 3 subs have come on, there should be an automatic 12 day lay off period, but it was pointed out to me this was unfair on the player's right to work, and will effect his income on bonuses etc, even keeping him out further because another player coming in could take his place for further games after doing well. And that he may well have been dazed at the time and erred on the side of caution coming off, but was fine later on and didn't have a concussion. There is no doubt players/managers will take advantage of this though, but the alternative is as you say, player not coming off when concussed, then being seriously in danger afterwards, so at the price of it being abused, it isn't worth not having it to save a player's well being. 

Solving one problem can create another but just as toughening up the poicing on vicious tackles from behind has led to an increase in forwards Looking for contact/going down a bit easily/diving (Delete depending on whether they're playing for or against your team)  the saving grace is that the new problem isn't putting people in hospital

On 28/09/2021 at 23:42, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I CANNOT wait until the next time we go 1-0 up and KVV, Watt and Woolery suffer freak concussions in the 63rd minute, replaced by Lamie, O'Connor and Maguire.

How far could you push it? If all three of them just happened to take run ups and ram head first into each other at the same time, would it work? Not for me to say, but I sure as f**k would love to see it play out.

3 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Concussion subs cover potential concussions as well.

I for one am reassured that we took no chances with his calf injury.  Sorry, head knock

Aye, like, it's hard to get worked up about. Sport, and football high ranking among that, hasn't taken the dangers of concussion nearly seriously enough. You only need to see the comments every time there's an article doing the rounds about some kids league banning heading to see how lax people are about it.

If folk take the piss, whatever, it's sport it's always going to happen, worth it imo.

I’ve caved and will be going to match now.

We got beat 6-0 the last time I went to Tynecastle and because I was late getting in, the view I had was shit as the railing above the bit people walk through blocked the goals and some of the pitch. Bad times.

Surely Saturday must go better. I remember Higdon scoring and us winning in the game that saw us secure champions league fitba. Good times.

It would be nice to be top of the league come 5pm on Saturday.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I drive to most games but For the Edinburgh ones I use the train and make a day of it, looking forward to it, let’s get something from these podcast blocking tarts.

I might be wrong but is there not a strike?