Queens vs Pars

Disingenuous pessimism from the Pars this morning ..... standard pre match deflective fare on P&B. Contrasting with the real thing from us doonhamers. 🙄

Edited by Otis Blue

30 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Disingenuous pessimism from the Pars this morning ..... standard pre match deflective fare on P&B. Contrasting with the real thing from us doonhamers. 🙄

In fairness, Queens are one of the two clubs Peter Grant has beaten in the Championship this calendar year.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can appreciate the Bowey reference and Bowey certainly wasn't a gifted footballer either but if I remember correctly he certainly got stuck in with the tackles. I don't mind a player who can't pass well if they at least make up for it by 'getting stuck in' - see Jacobs. Running around a lot doesn't make for a good footballer IMO.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Loads of very good points. Bowey who I loved as a player, and despite the Bowey's going to get you stuff, couldn't tackle a fish supper. He was adept at stealing possession nonetheless.  

Like DD says Bowey very rarely tackled anyone. The 'Bowey's going to get you' chant used to amuse me endlessly as he went about a month between tackles!  His passing was awful. He possibly did steal the ball more with timing an interception and he certainly was a better goal threat than Pybus but his main asset as a footballer was running about all game like a blue-arsed fly getting in everybody's face and setting a tone for the rest to follow. He was an inspirational leader. Pybus doesnt have that quality either but as an actual footballer they are similar.

Even though it was only 20 years ago, he was perhaps of a different era. In an era when we were still part time and there probably was a difference in part time and full time fitness that largely doesnt exist now, Bowey was a freak of fitness. 

Where am I going with this? Just that its a little ironic that the game, or at least our level of it, has moved on so much in 20 years that a style that created a 'legend' is now considered 'gutter'. The truth is he is ok and can at least hold his own in the Championship. Whether you rate him or not he played pretty much every game he was fit for in two years with us and has played pretty much every game for Dunfermline since going there. 

The Jacobs comparison doesnt really work for me. Jacobs CAN tackle and doesnt have any great pace. He does get all over the park quietly doing an effective job though (also see McColligan, Brian). We've never properly replaced him since he went to Morton. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Like DD says Bowey very rarely tackled anyone. The 'Bowey's going to get you' chant used to amuse me endlessly as he went about a month between tackles!  His passing was awful. He possibly did steal the ball more with timing an interception and he certainly was a better goal threat than Pybus but his main asset as a footballer was running about all game like a blue-arsed fly getting in everybody's face and setting a tone for the rest to follow. He was an inspirational leader. Pybus doesnt have that quality either but as an actual footballer they are similar.
Even though it was only 20 years ago, he was perhaps of a different era. In an era when we were still part time and there probably was a difference in part time and full time fitness that largely doesnt exist now, Bowey was a freak of fitness. 
Where am I going with this? Just that its a little ironic that the game, or at least our level of it, has moved on so much in 20 years that a style that created a 'legend' is now considered 'gutter'. The truth is he is ok and can at least hold his own in the Championship. Whether you rate him or not he played pretty much every game he was fit for in two years with us and has played pretty much every game for Dunfermline since going there. 
The Jacobs comparison doesnt really work for me. Jacobs CAN tackle and doesnt have any great pace. He does get all over the park quietly doing an effective job though (also see McColligan, Brian). We've never properly replaced him since he went to Morton. 

As I say I can't really comment on Bowey with any great clarity. I was a lot younger but I imagine I'd likely think of him the same way I do Pybus if he was with us today. Lots of energy with little productivity doesn't get 'pass marks' for me.

That he's played so many games isn't really anything worth writing home about. We played some decent stuff on the odd occasion but the reality is the majority of it was very poor. He is playing for Dunfermline but again, they're stinking out the division just now.

I wasn't comparing either of them to Jacobs other than the fact neither of them can pass. But Jacobs got stuck in with the tackles which made up for his lack of ability. Running around a lot in lieu of ability doesn't cut it for me though.

We need to win today. The board have to take immediate action if we don’t. Another draw isn’t good enough. It’ll most likely still keep us bottom heading in to an international break. Defeat and it is surely the end of Grant’s tenure?

Thomas done nothing to merit a start for me on Wednesday night. Would just play the same team that played the 2nd half on Wednesday and just go for it.

Grant built the team around this 3/5 at the back nonsense and he is already firefighting to get results with a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 because it has been a complete horror show any time we have played a back 3/5, whatever you want to call it. I absolutely detest that tactic with my soul.

We really have to win today. I’m not Peter Grants biggest fan, I didn’t want him as a manager originally, I wanted shot of him after Arbroath scudded us 0-3 at home but I have to say I genuinely don’t care who the manager is as long as we’re competitive. Anything less than 3 points and it’s curtains for Grant, even a draw isn’t good enough. Palmerston hasn’t been a overly happy hunting ground for us IIRC.

It would be the most Dunfermline thing for us to draw/lose today, not sack Grant and then beat Killie in the first game back. 

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

In fairness, Queens are one of the two clubs Peter Grant has beaten in the Championship this calendar year.

Two wins against Queens this calendar year.
His full record with Alloa against Queens was P6 W4 D1 L1.

centre mid pairing of dan pybus and Paul allan is grim like

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Which is entirely Grant’s fault considering he signed centre-half’s ahead of addressing the central midfield area.

Glad to see McCann back in the match day squad and also pleased that Allan got the nod, if the club wants to get a reputation for fostering young talent I feel we need more former academy players making starting appearances.

Two poor teams, a pissing wet, windy  day, well be lucky to break the 1000 mark today imo. 

Just saw the Queens line-up, looks strong but worry about Max Johnston if he's up against Kennedy. I'm sure Willie Gibson will be looking to get revenge for the rag-dolling Kennedy gave him down here with ICT. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Nice to have attacking options available off the bench I suppose. No idea how we'll set up yet, particularly up front. A front 2 or one of Cameron/Junior playing out of position. I know which option is more likely.