[FIFA 21] How to counteract the computer overriding your controls?

Ric

I'm playing a Manager Career, on Legendary difficulty. In the settings I have most of the assists off, except the passing and goalkeeper assistance which I think is set to semi rather than full. Most importantly my character selection is manual.

I find some of the stuff FIFA does quite annoying, especially in the last couple of editions (and by the looks of things in 22, too) however I can generally counteract most of what the computer tries to do - for example FIFA 21's AI is set so that defensive midfielders do not to track back properly (something EA have admitted, in order for game to be more 'high scoring'), so I manually force them into position before swapping to a new player.

What I am having real problems with is the way in which a player can "step away from the goal" despite them being controlled and the controller is pushing in the opposite direction. Let me show you what I mean, I did a fucking awful job defending a cross and I certainly could have done a lot better but this video shows the situation very well.

You'll need to follow the streamable link as you can't directly embed MP4 links into forum posts..

https://streamable.com/h6r0gt

For those who can't be fucked watching the vid (it's only a minute or so), these are the two main still from it..

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6c90ddc5628871c7bb638595352e5d22.png

image.thumb.png.6e41577740fec230ca0acf24337346ba.png

Setting aside my defending is horrendous, and that the final position I find myself in is all my own fault, but the problem seems to happen to me quite a bit. Perhaps it's the formation or the player's instructions set in the tactics, except with the former that shouldn't stop the player, while under my control, to move against the direction they should go, and with the latter, I have tried numerous combinations of staying back during attacks and to return on defence, and a few other things, but nothing stops it from happening.

Anyone got any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...