Morton v Arbroath

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm not remotely confident it will happen either, in fact I'm almost certain it won't and that it isn't realistic, but it's the only thing that's going to stop us gradually slipping further from safety. One win every 10 games isn't going to keep us up, a QoS style burst of results is necessary at this point. If it isn't going to happen then there's no point in MacPherson being here - if we take say four points from the next four games, we're probably going to be cut adrift in the bottom two. Drawing our way to survival is already off the table, we need to start winning.

Completely agree we need to start winning, but I'll take it one win at a time. If you offered me, say, five points from the next four games, I'd bite your hand off... but four is really the minimum for removing him.

Similarly, if you offered me twelve from the next ten, three wins and three draws, taking us to eighteen at the half-way stage, I'd take it: that's a platform for a better second half with a squad that has bedded in and, hopefully, more settled selections and set-up.

Is he capable of that? No idea. If we lose in both Inverness and Dumfries, he'll be straight back into the last-chance saloon for the two home games against Partick and Hamilton.

I didn't see Saturday's game, but my sense is you could reasonably take both a glass-half-empty and a glass-half-full position on it: on one hand, a bizarre team selection and we couldn't see it out when ahead; on the other, goals, a second-half response, and a refereeing decision going against us at the wrong time. So is it signs of improvement or same old story? Rest of this month will tell us...

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Good point on saturday and a decent battling away performance. Take the best two players out of any team and there will always be a drop so not sure why anyone thought otherwise. 

Agree with this bigtime - it was a poor game overall in my opinion, but the reality is without our two best players we matched Morton overall, while obvious weakness did show it's the same for every team in the division. If we're able to match the teams that're expected to be nearer the bottom when we're off our game/ missing key players (Gold also a big loss in my opinion) that's a very encouraging sign for me.

An average performance, a scrappy point and against a team we have to be looking to be better than - but far more positives than negatives for me :) 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Were Arbroath really without two players on Saturday? You'd think it might have been mentioned by now. 

If it was any other two tbf I doubt it would’ve been said anywhere near as much but I get your point. 

1 hour ago, Lichtielegend said:

How many players have you lot been without this season?

You might break into midtable when you get them all back.

We've been without multiple players in just about every game this season due to Covid and other issues. Our most effective forward (not saying much tbh) also came off injured early in the first half on Saturday.

The reality is that it's a squad game over 36 matches so none of that counts as an excuse when our team doesn't get the job done. Much as our manager might wish it to be otherwise. 

48 minutes ago, virginton said:

We've been without multiple players in just about every game this season due to Covid and other issues. Our most effective forward (not saying much tbh) also came off injured early in the first half on Saturday.

Robbie Muirhead didn't start...

image.png.06431a2d8284f40938f53c851a5c6aa6.png

What a depressing image

Disagree actually. Leading with your elbow like that would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch regardless if you win the header or not. I'd have certainly been shouting for a penalty if it was in the other box. If I remember correctly a team was punished vs Czech Republic in euros for something similar. 

Harsh on Mcantee who's just trying to win the header but I have no real issue with it being given under the current laws of the game. The referee certainly wasn't cheating us out of 2 points with his decision, and I actually respect the fact he gave the decision despite barely anyone claiming for it, which has been used as a reason from some for why it was never a penalty. 

10 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Disagree actually. Leading with your elbow like that would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch regardless if you win the header or not. I'd have certainly been shouting for a penalty if it was in the other box. If I remember correctly a team was punished vs Czech Republic in euros for something similar. 

Harsh on Mcantee who's just trying to win the header but I have no real issue with it being given under the current laws of the game. The referee certainly wasn't cheating us out of 2 points with his decision, and I actually respect the fact he gave the decision despite barely anyone claiming for it, which has been used as a reason from some for why it was never a penalty. 

Fair play

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Seen the highlights and it's never a penalty. 

Never, ever. A truly ridiculous decision.

56 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Disagree actually. Leading with your elbow like that would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch regardless if you win the header or not.

The referee certainly wasn't cheating us out of 2 points with his decision, and I actually respect the fact he gave the decision despite barely anyone claiming for it, which has been used as a reason from some for why it was never a penalty. 

He didn’t ‘lead with his elbow’.

No one’s saying the ref cheated, but ‘respecting’ him for making a terrible decision is a weird place to find yourself. There’s a vey good reason no one was claiming: it wasn’t a penalty.

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Never, ever. A truly ridiculous decision.

He didn’t ‘lead with his elbow’.

No one’s saying the ref cheated, but ‘respecting’ him for making a terrible decision is a weird place to find yourself. There’s a vey good reason no one was claiming: it wasn’t a penalty.

I saw it from the cowshed at the time without a giant pillar blocking the contact and Mcantee definitely seemed to catch the Arbroath player with an  elbow motion to the face as he was heading it rather than just using him as leverage to help his jump. 

Highlights not as conclusive either way as I was hoping for but I've saw nothing in the video that proves he didn't catch him with a flailing elbow, which would be a foul regardless if he won the header or not. 

8 hours ago, port-ton said:

Disagree actually. Leading with your elbow like that would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch regardless if you win the header or not. 

He hasn't lead with his elbow tho'. He's got up, fairly, won the ball and, on the way back down, has caught the lad with his arm/elbow. After winning the header he's extended his arm to balance himself on the descent as every other player in the world does after going up for a header. The reason he's caught the other player is because that other player has made a late challenge for the ball. His attempt to header the ball has came after McEntee has won it. It's like a player sliding in for a tackle late, hurting himself on the other player's leg, and winning the foul.