Morton v Arbroath

If we had Nicky Low fit id be really confident here. However he’s gonna be missing for 4/5 games it looks like so bit nervous to see how we get on. Nicky Low is the man that runs us as a team so someone’s going to have to step up in there. We have nobody else like him.

Few suggestions been made in regards to Gold going in there which I think might happen but personally I’d put Bobby out left and put Craigen in central. Craigen likes to get on the ball and we will need some creativity in there to replace Lows and Bobby is perfect for that I think. 

We still of course have big Noubz who is a match winner with the individual moments he is capable of so got a good chance of getting 3 points down here hopefully.

Morton not had the best of runs but Cappielow hard place to go. Last time I was there was the 97th minute McGinty heartbreak I’m sure before the world went batshit crazy. 

MacPherson will no doubt set up to try and nick this 1-0… at home… to Arbroath (albeit an Arbroath that are going well and have a clear idea as to how they play, unlike us).

He’ll then be satisfied if we get a draw… but he’s going to have to win games sooner or later, especially at home.

Maybe it will all suddenly fall into place; maybe he’s doomed… who tf knows…

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Nae need to worry about Nicky Low being missing as our midfield could be bossed by a team of lollipop ladies. We don't have strikers capable of troubling your defenders and we don't have defenders capable of keeping Nouble quiet.

Can foresee another Partick-esque performance coming up.

I thought Chris Hamilton had a slow start on Friday, their winger had him on toast for the first 10-15 minutes but then he grew into the game and was very solid from then on.

I agree that I think Paterson could do a good job in place of Low. He's got the ability with the ball at his feet and looks like he has a lot of creativity. With Henderson, Craigen, Stewart and McKenna around him to impose a bit more physicality then he could shine in that creative midfielder role. Also think Gold could do well their too - he's so versatile he can play anywhere and do well.

Edited by Tattie36

32 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Anyone remember the game about 20 years ago that ended up something like 7 - 4 ?

Ross Graham got a hatrick for Arbroath, the last one canoned back off his arse when he closed down a clearance from the Morton goalie  😂

6-4 in December 2003, although your scorers were John McGlashan, Andy Cargill x 2 and Paul Durno. I think the closed down clearance was the third, and incidentally the Morton goalkeeper was Craig Coyle. If only conceding four goals had sent some warning signs that we'd be in bother that season if the goals dried up and we should strengthen the defence in January.

I'm going to confidently predict Saturday's game will not finish 6-4 after the scintillating games of football Morton and Arbroath have served up over the last two seasons, but MacPherson really needs a result here. Five games without a win, four of them defeats, and four games without a goal.

Everything points to an Arbroath win but if we don't smash and grab a result from somewhere soon then there's going to be no justification for him making it to November. Arbroath (H), ICT (A) then in a week we have QoS (A), Partick (H) and Hamilton (H). A win in either of those first two would be a shock, but if he goes into that week at the end of the month on a run of seven without a win then it'll take a spectacular turnaround to keep his job.

It's time to ditch the back three. It's evident at this point that we need both Jacobs and Oksanen on the park for the midfield to give any protection to the defence, and they need a third central midfielder in with them rather than a forward dropping deep in front of them to avoid being overrun as well. That means a midfield three of Jacobs, Oksanen and Lyon, and putting that in front of a back three just means we can't get enough attacking players on the park, while making us more vulnerable out wide because Ledger can't play as a wing back. A back four with Ledger at right back, McLean's distribution no longer costing us possession every couple of minutes and that midfield three in front of them is the best way forward.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's time to ditch the back three. It's evident at this point that we need both Jacobs and Oksanen on the park for the midfield to give any protection to the defence, and they need a third central midfielder in with them rather than a forward dropping deep in front of them to avoid being overrun as well. That means a midfield three of Jacobs, Oksanen and Lyon, and putting that in front of a back three just means we can't get enough attacking players on the park, while making us more vulnerable out wide because Ledger can't play as a wing back. A back four with Ledger at right back, McLean's distribution no longer costing us possession every couple of minutes and that midfield three in front of them is the best way forward.

Been saying this all season: back four out of possession, with Strapp pushing on as and when necessary when we're in possession and the other three shuffling across. Three in the middle of the park, and that now has to be Jacobs, Oksanen, and Lyon.

McPherson's job more or less boils down to organising three more attacking players around and in front of that: could be Oliver dropping deep between Ugwu and Reilly; could be Allan starting deeper and wide on the right, with Ugwu and Reilly as a conventional two.

Above all, we need to see a bit of purpose in what we're trying to do... and some evidence that the players understand and believe in it.

Another point isn't a terrible result, but he needs a win from somewhere, and soon; getting it on Saturday might just change the complexion of the entire season.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

4 hours ago, DUAFC said:

I'm sure  Ross Graham, ex Brechin, East Fife, scored here.  Anyone help me out ?

Was this possibly in the 4-3 game in the Challenge Cup in August of 2003? Struggling to find the goalscorers in that one, but I do remember Peter Weatherson scoring a hat-trick on his home debut for us.

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Agree back four and as Ghost suggest Strapp getting forward on left side as and when able.

Expect Blues to return as Lyon has not taken his chance (had great Hope's for him 2 years ago) and physicality will be needed v Arbroath.

Form would suggest a draw would be a good result for us but in reality would get us no where.

Watched Arbroath game v Killie and it's  basically their tried and trusted formula which Killie failed to overcome.

Not suggesting we have the football quality to outgun them but I will be disappointed if we don't match their physicality,  defend set pieces better and find that bit of extra quality to open them up.

That said the only guarantee come Saturday night is they will still be above us but hopefully we don't end up bottom. If that happens I fear Gus won't  need a vac passport but his real one to get where he needs to go.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Error