Tractor Shaggers vs. Deelightful Dees, Saturday October 2nd.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've surely learned by now that May can't do any of the physical stuff that we need from a striker?

Kane is struggling a bit but we're always worse when he's not in there, if you start say May then you need either Kane or Hendry too, as the ball won't stick up top unless we're getting it to his feet, which won't be possible every time. 

I disagree. I think May could do a job as the hold up player, but he is by far a better player in a pair.

Kane wins a lot of balls, but then does nothing with them at the moment.

I'd like us to play May and E2 together up front. We need something a bit different.

Hendry I'm afraid isn't going to fo it at this level and will probably be away in January. 

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What seems like our first choice back three will probably all be out for this. Brown/Gordon injured, and McCart suspended.

Potentially missing Davidson, MacPherson and Bryson on top of that too.

Some effort if we can win this game despite all that.

20 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Crippled by injuries. The Dees have to get goals in this one.

16 hours ago, The Saintee said:

No excuse. But surely Dundee have a great chance now. 

Gordon 

McCart 

Brown 

Bryson 

Davidson 

McPherson

All out.

Means that it's likely to be Ambrose and two 19 year olds at the back. A back three that's only trained together.

16 hours ago, The Saintee said:

It's piling up now though. In crucial areas. Particularly the defence and that's the whole point. 

We were missing Gordon, Bryson, McPherson, Davidson and Brown went off. So defence is a massive problem now. It'll likely be Ambrose, Muller and Dendoncker. Two of them with very, very little experience. 

It'll be hugely different to the cup game.

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

The fact we’re possibly looking at a makeshift defence for this should give McPake something to work with. If he can’t deal with Dendoncker, Ambrose and Muller then he should frankly give up.

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I would think that if Dundee are to get a goal in any game, it will be this one. As mentioned, we will be a bit makeshift at the back, so really opportunity to exploit that.

If I was McPake, i'd put plenty of pace up top and start by going right at saints. I was really impressed with Anderson last week for Dundee. Looks a right prospect, so would be happy if he is not playing. 

If we go a goal down, it think we will struggle to turn it around.

For Saints, I would be dropping Kane. He is good at what he does, but we need goals and from the last few games, I would say Stevie May looks sharper than he has for a while.

Liam will undoubtedly feature at some point and would be a nice touch if maybe Steven Anderson was there to present something to him. Better still if you could get Alan Main and Doug Barron too. 

Finally, get the pyrotechnics in the bin thanks. 

TBF, you could stick a cardboard cut out of Tractor Tom at defence and we still won't score.

16 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I disagree. I think May could do a job as the hold up player, but he is by far a better player in a pair.

Kane wins a lot of balls, but then does nothing with them at the moment.

I'd like us to play May and E2 together up front. We need something a bit different.

Hendry I'm afraid isn't going to fo it at this level and will probably be away in January. 

May is better on the ball and in space, but he can't battle with CBs, and a strong breeze can push him off the ball. Last attack of the game yesterday hes got he ball 16 yards out with the keeper standing beside him, and hes just nudged off the ball and its cleared. Like it or not you need someone whos able to fight for every ball up there. 

That won't be Vertainen either, and both are liable to drop deep and wide, during spells where teams are pressing we'd be liable to be shelling the ball away and it coming straight back, even at his worst Kane is giving the defence respite in some form, and is great at winning free kicks.

I don't think the rest of the team is getting near to Kane for the most part so him holding the ball up is pointless. Thats why I don't like O'Halloran up front in any game except Rangers/Celtic, as he simply can't link with a strike partner in the middle of the park.

Hendry is probably done here aye, but hes the most physical striker we have after Kane, so I'd have him as the alternative rather than May.

EDIT:

May.png.739c7190e9211f42e779f1a04cb5bdb7.png

Ball dropping to May here, any form of aggression and hes taking that down and onto his left foot, and having a fairly simple chance with the keeper stranded. Last minute of the game and 1-0 down. Instead he steps away from the battle, dangles a leg at it then falls over. I like him but we can't rely on him if the games a battle, and we need that in our main striker.

Edited by RandomGuy.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think the rest of the team is getting near to Kane for the most part so him holding the ball up is pointless. Thats why I don't like O'Halloran up front in any game except Rangers/Celtic, as he simply can't link with a strike partner in the middle of the park.

And I think that's the problem. It's all very well Kane putting himself about and flicking on balls, but he is the last man up top and too often he is isolated.

If you could combine Kane's hold up with MOH's pace, then that would be great.

If we play 2 up, they have to connect and I'd say and combo of Kane/May/Hendry/MOH doesn't work. Need to see what E2 can give us beyond cameos. 

Ultimately, the problem is that there is no one capable at the moment of getting 20 goals a season or anywhere near it, but equally, there is no one in midfield looking like they will hit double figures either.

We can only get by with 1-0 wins and being tight at the back for so long, especially when the defence is starting to loose key bodies. 

Yes and it’s fairly obvious that he’s kit good up top, so why not use him where he can effect the game. Slightly deeper, Kane up top doing what he does best taking hits and disrupting the opposing defence.

May on the ball to get Crawford, Spoony and the wing backs into the attack. Give May more freedom away from harrying defenders all match and he will find space to get on the ball.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes and it’s fairly obvious that he’s kit good up top, so why not use him where he can effect the game. Slightly deeper, Kane up top doing what he does best taking hits and disrupting the opposing defence.

May on the ball to get Crawford, Spoony and the wing backs into the attack. Give May more freedom away from harrying defenders all match and he will find space to get on the ball.

I think that is what you could see from his goal at Aberdeen and general all round play. He isn't going to be the pacy bursting behind defence kind of player, but sit him just in behind a striker and he can really be effective.

Actually, if you go back to 13/14 season, he did a lot of that. Macca was the annoying ball winner and May came from deeper and picked up the loose ball.

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think that is what you could see from his goal at Aberdeen and general all round play. He isn't going to be the pacy bursting behind defence kind of player, but sit him just in behind a striker and he can really be effective.

Actually, if you go back to 13/14 season, he did a lot of that. Macca was the annoying ball winner and May came from deeper and picked up the loose ball.

But would you rather May creating chances for Kane or Middleton?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

But would you rather May creating chances for Kane or Middleton?

Honestly? Probably Middleton of the two. Kane is a good forward, but he is not a striker, if that makes sense? Too few and far between he shows that strikers instinct.

If Kane is in the box without time to think, he can do well, but if he has options with the ball at his feet and a bit of time to place the ball, I think he crumbles a bit.

Because of the way we play, he doesn't often have to react in an instant in the box as he is the guy to have won the ball in the build up.

The LASK game away was a good example. Took his goal really well as he just had time to react and not over think it. Other games, where he has time to place a shot, he struggles. 

By the sounds of it, Dundee have similar problems. Plenty of good forwards who are all very competent, but the one natural finisher (May/Griffiths) is void of confidence. 

41 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Unspeakable amounts of shite from the boring one already.

Last look in here for the week. f**k that.

Thank you.

I've already fallen asleep twice, reading it.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

What’s going wrong for the DiDees then? I thought given the money pumped into that Controversial frontline and Charlie Adam you guys would be flying at this stage.

Is it McPake?

I think even Guardiola would struggle to get the best out of Adam when he's sat in the stands injured tbh. 

15 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I think even Guardiola would struggle to get the best out of Adam when he's sat in the stands injured tbh. 

Is Adam a player coach or anything or just purely a player?

Always feel these kind of players who have been away and chalked up bags of experience will have loads to pass onto the younger players.

40 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Is Adam a player coach or anything or just purely a player?

Always feel these kind of players who have been away and chalked up bags of experience will have loads to pass onto the younger players.

No official coaching role at the club that I know of but he has the UEFA B licence and was doing the A badge but dunno whether he completed it or not. I reckon he'll go onto coach at the club in some capacity and would not be surprised to see him be our head coach one day. Possibly our next. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

No official coaching role at the club that I know of but he has the UEFA B licence and was doing the A badge but dunno whether he completed it or not. I reckon he'll go onto coach at the club in some capacity and would not be surprised to see him be our head coach one day. Possibly our next. 

I would put good money on him being in charge of you guys at some point. Probably even this season, even if only on an interim basis. 

My last visit to Mcdiarmid was when A-Jay Leitch-Smith netted a winner for us. That was a good day. Apart from when I got out my car before the match and an old boy in a St Johnstone scarf said - I thought I smelt a coagie. 

rude.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I would put good money on him being in charge of you guys at some point. Probably even this season, even if only on an interim basis. 

I’ll take your good money. No matter what happens this season McPake won’t be sacked and I’m not against it (unles things were to go completely tits up). Still think we’ll be fine.

Edited by RossDee01