Tractor Shaggers vs. Deelightful Dees, Saturday October 2nd.

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Adam won't play. He won't play this coming week and he won't play the week after either. 

This would be good, as you don't seem to have anyone who can quickly play balls that has our defence turning, if that makes sense?

We'll likely be as weak defensively as we've been all season for this game. Muller is still shaky and Booth isn't a CB. Dendoncker was a risk taker at youth level so I'm fairly sure he'll get caught out a lot when he steps up.

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If two teams play each other in a short period of time in both the league and the cup, one team wins the cup game and the other the league game. Those are the rules, as enforced in our 2 games against Motherwell.

We're likely to see Liam Craig become our record appearance holder.

Last two occasions thats happened we've won. Alan Main broke the record with a 3-1 win over Dunfermline, then Steven Anderson with a 3-0 win over Hearts.

So aye, us scoring 3 and Dundee scoring -1 feels likely

Sheridan won’t play and will only come on if we are losing with 15 minutes to go so you really should be wanting him to come on.
Don’t think Adam will play, have a feeling McPake is waiting until after the international break. We could afford to have him out for this game but we can’t afford for him to come back early and be out for another 6 weeks.
Bizarre to think that if we win this we will be level on points and for that reason I can’t see anything other than a home win.

We need to win by 4 to go above the lilywhites. I’m fully expecting we will.

2-0 home win. Us to have no shots on target in a McPake tactical masterclass. Randombore to post relentlessly about Dundee. It will rain. Pish.

The fact we’re possibly looking at a makeshift defence for this should give McPake something to work with. If he can’t deal with Dendoncker, Ambrose and Muller then he should frankly give up.

54 minutes ago, mizfit said:

The fact we’re possibly looking at a makeshift defence for this should give McPake something to work with. If he can’t deal with Dendoncker, Ambrose and Muller then he should frankly give up.

Exactly. No win here and he should become an estate agent or something. 

I would think that if Dundee are to get a goal in any game, it will be this one. As mentioned, we will be a bit makeshift at the back, so really opportunity to exploit that.

If I was McPake, i'd put plenty of pace up top and start by going right at saints. I was really impressed with Anderson last week for Dundee. Looks a right prospect, so would be happy if he is not playing. 

If we go a goal down, it think we will struggle to turn it around.

For Saints, I would be dropping Kane. He is good at what he does, but we need goals and from the last few games, I would say Stevie May looks sharper than he has for a while.

Liam will undoubtedly feature at some point and would be a nice touch if maybe Steven Anderson was there to present something to him. Better still if you could get Alan Main and Doug Barron too. 

Finally, get the pyrotechnics in the bin thanks. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

For Saints, I would be dropping Kane. He is good at what he does, but we need goals and from the last few games, I would say Stevie May looks sharper than he has for a while.

We've surely learned by now that May can't do any of the physical stuff that we need from a striker?

Kane is struggling a bit but we're always worse when he's not in there, if you start say May then you need either Kane or Hendry too, as the ball won't stick up top unless we're getting it to his feet, which won't be possible every time. 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I would think that if Dundee are to get a goal in any game, it will be this one. As mentioned, we will be a bit makeshift at the back, so really opportunity to exploit that.

If I was McPake, i'd put plenty of pace up top and start by going right at saints. I was really impressed with Anderson last week for Dundee. Looks a right prospect, so would be happy if he is not playing. 

If we go a goal down, it think we will struggle to turn it around.

Liam will undoubtedly feature at some point and would be a nice touch if maybe Steven Anderson was there to present something to him. Better still if you could get Alan Main and Doug Barron too. 

Finally, get the pyrotechnics in the bin thanks. 

Anderson will be playing.

Bit of a dilemma here for us going forward as we have so many options but none of them barring O’Halloran can really claim any kind of form. And even then, I think he hurts us a little if he is in the 2/3 up top as his link up with the others leaves a lot to desire, he causes chaos by running at full backs and getting a ball across but not always that useful if it’s just Kane in the box.

With that in mind, why not start him at wing back here? Let’s us move Rooney in one, he’s not the best at CB but prefer that to starting a kid with no experience probs, plus he will have the confidence to step up the pitch and support. Agree with thoughts on Hibs game that we are missing having the CBs going forward so far this season, even if I don’t agree so much that our midfield link up is poor… think issue more is lack of goal threat from our strikers + consistently poor final ball.

If you have Mikey at wing back it’s less important to have someone naturally pacy up top - let him and Rooney occupy their full backs and give our best strikers a chance to link up and actually try to score goals.

Clark
Rooney Efe Muller (?)
MOH Booth
McPherson Craig
Wotherspoon

Kane May

Wouldn’t mind swapping Muller for Booth at CB and playing Devine but I think Booth has maybe been our best player so far this season? And wouldn’t really want to disrupt that. Plus if Wotherspoon is playing ahead of more defensive CMs he will be able to get down the left and rekindle their partnership there. If McPherson isn’t fit it feels a bit fucked, guess Crawford comes in? Wasn’t overly impressed with Gilmour off the bench at Hibs but hopefully just rusty.

Finally, if the two up top isn’t working this is a perfect chance to give Eetu a shot for one of them. Need to find out if he’s any good at some point.

Difficult decision for Davidson going into this one. I feel we really need to change something to spark a bit of creativity, e.g. 4-4-2, with regular defenders missing.  But Dundee can play a bit, it's just their lack of goals has sapped confidence so giving them encouragement with a more open defence is probably not the way to go.  Can't see Davidson moving away from the 3/5 at the back anyway.

The more I see MOH as RWB the more I like it. Having space ahead of him to drive into really suits him.  I don't think Rooney's been as effective out wide, he's arguably done some of his best attacking from RCB, and I don't feel he's been as bad in there as is made out. We've fallen into the trap because he's so strong in the air of feeling we have to use that long diagonal every time.. yes he mostly wins it but invariably the opposition centre backs just step across and clear the flick on, and we get little joy from it.

Time to mix it up further forward. May deserves a chance, play him slightly deeper off Kane where he can drop between midfield and defence and get on the ball and create.  Our strikers had very little joy up high against the dees defence last week until Dundee were chasing the game. Keep Middleton back as an impact sub again.

Clark

Rooney Ambrose Booth

MOH                                            Devine

Crawford Craig Wotherspoon

May

Kane

(or Hendry for Kane)

1 minute ago, Zamora Fan said:

Bit of a dilemma here for us going forward as we have so many options but none of them barring O’Halloran can really claim any kind of form. And even then, I think he hurts us a little if he is in the 2/3 up top as his link up with the others leaves a lot to desire, he causes chaos by running at full backs and getting a ball across but not always that useful if it’s just Kane in the box.

With that in mind, why not start him at wing back here? Let’s us move Rooney in one, he’s not the best at CB but prefer that to starting a kid with no experience probs, plus he will have the confidence to step up the pitch and support. Agree with thoughts on Hibs game that we are missing having the CBs going forward so far this season, even if I don’t agree so much that our midfield link up is poor… think issue more is lack of goal threat from our strikers + consistently poor final ball.

If you have Mikey at wing back it’s less important to have someone naturally pacy up top - let him and Rooney occupy their full backs and give our best strikers a chance to link up and actually try to score goals.

Clark
Rooney Efe Muller (?)
MOH Booth
McPherson Craig
Wotherspoon

Kane May

Wouldn’t mind swapping Muller for Booth at CB and playing Devine but I think Booth has maybe been our best player so far this season? And wouldn’t really want to disrupt that. Plus if Wotherspoon is playing ahead of more defensive CMs he will be able to get down the left and rekindle their partnership there. If McPherson isn’t fit it feels a bit fucked, guess Crawford comes in? Wasn’t overly impressed with Gilmour off the bench at Hibs but hopefully just rusty.

Finally, if the two up top isn’t working this is a perfect chance to give Eetu a shot for one of them. Need to find out if he’s any good at some point.

Must have been typing practically the same thing at the same time!!

Must have been typing practically the same thing at the same time!!

Hahah - or maybe you’re one of my alts.

Bit worried Callum will see the 2-0 at Dens as a success and stick as closely to that side as possible. Actually think we looked better going forward against Hibs than we did there tbh