Faroe Islands v Scotland

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

He wasn't great anyway 

Would be ok if Nisbet came in

Adams did alright in spells, but he is essentially doing the same job as Dykes. Which seems like a bit of a waste when you have a lot of attacking flair sitting on the bench.

I like Nisbet, but I'd rather have Christie or Fraser starting. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

McTominay staying in the back 3 will be absolutely fine against the Faroes, but I'm really not a fan of him playing there long term. Does Hendry deserve to be dropped more than McTominay? It's a really tough call. 

Absolutely not. I think McTominay, currently, is a victim of the fact the defensive three and midfield three basically pick themselves because of how they've played. Which, in a vacuum, is mental considering we're not starting a Manchester United central midfielder but that's just the way it goes. 

23 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Absolutely not. I think McTominay, currently, is a victim of the fact the defensive three and midfield three basically pick themselves because of how they've played. Which, in a vacuum, is mental considering we're not starting a Manchester United central midfielder but that's just the way it goes. 

I think against top tier teams, we'll need to be playing both Hendry and Hanley in the back 3. So games against the likes of the Faroes and Moldova would be a good time to let them gel more. 

You're right, on paper, you'd expect McTominay to be one of the first names on the teamsheet in midfield. If it weren't for the emergence of Gilmour, and McGregor's renaissance, it would be pretty straight forward.

It's a good conundrum to have. We have dillemmas in just about every position these days.

On watching the highlights I thought Adams did ok. His movement was pretty good, but Dykes didn't look to play him in a couple of times where he would have scored.

Nisbet is good enough for Hibs and maybe a slightly better English jobber outfit, but he isn't an international striker. 

And I'd say keep exactly the same team for the Faroes. That team was Hungary 1953 levels of all out attack, so we need the same for the Faroes game. Nobody needs rested, they're young athletes. They'll be fine.

45 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

McTominay staying in the back 3 will be absolutely fine against the Faroes, but I'm really not a fan of him playing there long term. Does Hendry deserve to be dropped more than McTominay? It's a really tough call. 

No, it won’t be. Clarke really needs to get this nonsense out of his system - he’s not a fucking defender! 🤬

I can’t believe there’s anybody who could’ve watched that game last night and not finally come to that realisation.

Play the obvious first choice three at the back which is Hendry - Hanley - Tierney, and if McTominay can’t get a game in midfield, the bench is his friend. 

Personally I would play him in midfield ahead of McGregor, as McSauce would be bombing forward constantly against the Faroes.

I might be tempted to bring in Fraser at RWB to bring some added attacking threat, so with Adams and either Gilmour/McGregor possibly out that’d be 3 changes - plenty.

Edited by ArabFC

27 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No, it won’t be. Clarke really needs to get this nonsense out of his system - he’s not a fucking defender! 🤬

I can’t believe there’s anybody who could’ve watched that game last night and not finally come to that realisation.

Play the obvious first choice three at the back which is Hendry - Hanley - Tierney, and if McTominay can’t get a game in midfield, the bench is his friend. 

Personally I would play him in midfield ahead of McGregor, as McSauce would be bombing forward constantly against the Faroes.

I might be tempted to bring in Fraser at RWB to bring some added attacking threat, so with Adams and either Gilmour/McGregor possibly out that’d be 3 changes - plenty.

Yes it will - McTominay brought the ball out of defence wonderfully at times last night, we need that against the Faroes. 

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I said exactly this in another post. It's amazing how divisive opinions are on McTominay. Before last night it seemed like the majority wanted him in a back 3 (I didn't). Now there is talk of him being benched. McGregor is probably the only player that could be dropped, but it would be very harsh on him as well. 

We'll probably get away with him in a back 3 versus the Faroes, but we won't against a lot of other opponents. So, if the intention isn't to play him there long term, I'd rather he was removed from the defence and allow some partnerships to form.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yes it will - McTominay brought the ball out of defence wonderfully at times last night, we need that against the Faroes. 

You could play Stuart Armstrong there if you want somebody to bring the ball out of defence - it doesn’t negate the fact that he isn’t a fucking defender.

He plays there, does well, because it’s the fcuking Faroes and then he plays there again against Moldova cos - same diff - then well he’ll play against Denmark too, cos, you know, he’s done well and is established in the back three.

Then everyone will realise when he donkeys it against some good attackers again that he’s not actually a defender - problem is, we’ve been leaving Hendry out of the team when he could’ve been establishing a partnership with Hanley, and the playoffs are up next.

Rip the worm out of your head while you still can - he’s not a fucking defender!

21 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You could play Stuart Armstrong there if you want somebody to bring the ball out of defence - it doesn’t negate the fact that he isn’t a fucking defender.

He plays there, does well, because it’s the fcuking Faroes and then he plays there again against Moldova cos - same diff - then well he’ll play against Denmark too, cos, you know, he’s done well and is established in the back three.

Then everyone will realise when he donkeys it against some good attackers again that he’s not actually a defender - problem is, we’ve been leaving Hendry out of the team when he could’ve been establishing a partnership with Hanley, and the playoffs are up next.

Rip the worm out of your head while you still can - he’s not a fucking defender!

Yes, because Stuart Armstrong equates to Scott McTominay. You are massively overselling how poor he was defensively, he gave away one free kick and bar that Israel created one chance. 

Is our best back three now include Hendry, Hanley and Tierney? Probably. But against poorer teams that sit in, both McTominay and Tierney offer a lot coming from deeper. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Blood said:

We'll probably get away with him in a back 3 versus the Faroes, but we won't against a lot of other opponents. So, if the intention isn't to play him there long term, I'd rather he was removed from the defence and allow some partnerships to form.

We've managed to "get away with him in a back 3" in a lot of games - he's played there 11 times and we've kept 5 clean sheets and conceded only 9 goals in total. That includes games against Slovakia, Czech Republic and of course England.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We've managed to "get away with him in a back 3" in a lot of games - he's played there 11 times and we've kept 5 clean sheets and conceded only 9 goals in total. That includes games against Slovakia, Czech Republic and of course England.

This - I don’t remotely understand the McTominay bashing after yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Pretty concerned looking at everyone who's on a booking. We should devise a strategy so that half of them miss Moldova and half miss Denmark just to clear things up before any potential play-offs.

Surely to f**k they clear bookings before a play off?

19 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely to f**k they clear bookings before a play off?

Afraid not, only slight concession is that if someone is on a yellow in the play off final then it doesn't carry forward to the finals, but a red card would. 

Screenshot_20211010-142518.png

Edited by Fuctifano

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Afraid not, only slight concession is that if someone is on a yellow in the play off final then it doesn't carry forward to the finals, but a red card would. 

Screenshot_20211010-142518.png

So, in an ideal world we want to have guaranteed progression and to be seeded by HT in Moldova, get everyone booked and then play a reserve side and take a pumping off Denmark!

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not having a go at McTominay. Far from it. I just said I'd rather have him in midfield. He has some strong qualities that work well in our back 5 system. "Get away with it" was probably the wrong phrase to use, because I think he could excel against the Faroes and others at RCB.

My thoughts are more along the lines of, we have Hanley and Hendry, who are 2 top class defenders. As well as Cooper and McKenna, who aren't far behind. When we are up against elite attackers, I'd feel more comfortable with a back 3 of Hendry, Hanley and Tierney. McTominay can sit in front of them in midfield.

The dillemma is who to leave out. McGregor is really the only one that could make way.