Faroe Islands v Scotland

14 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't remember seeing as much from Robertson and Tierney as a duo versus Moldova and I just assumed it was partly a result of Christie being in the team in place of McGregor

You might be right. Though, if I remember correctly, Tierney was a bit out of form at that time and maybe lacking confidence. That could be why.

If I were playing Christie, I'd get him on the right, rather than the left, since Tierney and Robertson will be rampaging down that side anyway.

I'm utterly torn on what team and formation I'd play tonight. As much as I want to be loyal to the Israel heroes, we also have to look at our talent in the squad and utilise them. 

1 minute ago, Tartan Blood said:

You might be right. Though, if I remember correctly, Tierney was a bit out of form at that time and maybe lacking confidence. That could be why.

If I were playing Christie, I'd get him on the right, rather than the left, since Tierney and Robertson will be rampaging down that side anyway.

I'm utterly torn on what team and formation I'd play tonight. As much as I want to be loyal to the Israel heroes, we also have to look at our talent in the squad and utilise them. 

So if they're all attacking who will be guarding our left side? 

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

The team from the 2-2 draw in 2002...... 

Take out Lambert and Ferguson and that is an extremely weak Scotland team.  Some will continue to moan about options up front but how would we feel these days with the likes of Kevin Kyle and Stephen Dobie leading the attack? 

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford.

Stephen Dobbie never led Scotland’s attack - he was never capped at international level, more’s the pity. Given some of the no-marks who did win full Scotland caps over the years, he would have been far from the least talented striker to win a cap if he had. Of the forwards who played for Queens in the 2018-19 season, when Dobbie scored 43 goals in all competitions, I doubt many Queens fans (even his admirers) would have predicted that it would be Lyndon Dykes that went on to win Scotland caps. None of that is to diminish Dykes’ considerable improvement and meteoric career trajectory, but Dobbie at his peak was different class. In that game against the Faroes in 2002, it was journeyman Scott Dobie who led Scotland’s attack alongside Kyle, neither of whom were remotely in Stephen Dobbie’s class.

Edited by Frankie S

Not assuming we're a stick-on to win tonight or anything, but I'm actually looking forward to an away game against one of the weaker nations.

This is a feeling with which I am unfamiliar. It's nice.

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

So if they're all attacking who will be guarding our left side? 

Just the same as usual. Robertson and Tierney will swap duties throughout. But Hanley and our Centre-mids will be sweeping up most attacks anyway. Especially if he goes with a midfield 3 of McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor. I wouldn't worry about the defensive side. It's are we able to attack enough, is the question.

9 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Stephen Dobbie never led Scotland’s attack - he was never capped at international level, more’s the pity. Given some of the no-marks who did win full Scotland caps over the years, he would have been far from the least talented striker to win a cap if he had. Of the forwards who played for Queens in the 2018-19 season, when Dobbie scored 43 goals in all competitions, I doubt many Queens fans (even his admirers) would have predicted that it would be Lyndon Dykes that went on to win Scotland caps. None of that is to diminish Dykes’ considerable improvement and meteoric career trajectory, but Dobbie at his peak was different class. In that game against the Faroes in 2002, it was journeyman Scott Dobie who led Scotland’s attack alongside Kyle, neither of whom were remotely in Stephen Dobbie’s class.

sorry you are of course correct it was Scott Dobie.....and I agree the forwards in 2002 were not a patch even on the un-capped Stephen

I don’t think Dobbie would have been a terrible shout for a cap a couple of years ago tbf. Is someone like Eamonn Brophy really better than him?

See also Rory McAllister, who had Scottish Premiership level talent but refused to go full time due to his successful plumbing business. 

13 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

Just the same as usual. Robertson and Tierney will swap duties throughout. But Hanley and our Centre-mids will be sweeping up most attacks anyway. Especially if he goes with a midfield 3 of McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor. I wouldn't worry about the defensive side. It's are we able to attack enough, is the question.

If he goes with a midfield three including McGregor then McGregor, Tierney and Robertson will all take turns covering and I think that's the optimal solution on our left side. If Christie or Armstrong come in I think it alters the dynamic on the left - As examples we've seen that against Croatia and Moldova. I liked Christie when he replaced Adams and played as a right centre forward on Saturday.

Edited by 2426255

Also, while I don’t think Eamonn Brophy was good enough, he was 23 at the time and top scorer for the side who’s just come 3rd in the Premiership.

Stephen Dobbie, while undoubtedly a better player, was 35 and playing for a side who’d just come 9th in the division below. 

The one standout stat from the EC was how many chances we created, and the number of shots we had.  It was exactly the same against Moldova at home, Austria away, and Israel on Saturday (and Luxembourg away, and Slovakia/Israel in the NL before it).  On near perfect nights, it would have been quite possible to have scored 6, 4, and 6.  That we didn't was down to profligate shooting and a lack of cutting edge, rather than poor performances.

Occasionally, everything just goes right for teams (think us v Malta a few years ago).  If we keep performing like this, by virtue of statistical variation, we'll give someone a (relative) shoeing.

With a bit of luck, this could be a very comfortable night.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The one standout stat from the EC was how many chances we created, and the number of shots we had.  It was exactly the same against Moldova at home, Austria away, and Israel on Saturday (and Luxembough away, and Slovakia/Israel in the NL before it).  On near perfect nights, it would have been quite possible to have score 6, 4, and 6.  That we didn't was down to profligate shooting and a lack of cutting edge, rather than poor performances.

Occasionally, everything just goes right for teams (think us v Malta a few years ago).  If we keep performing like this, by virtue of statistical variation, we'll give someone a (relative) shoeing.

With a bit of luck, this could be a very comfortable night.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself? 🤭

4 hours ago, Frankie S said:

In that game against the Faroes in 2002, it was journeyman Scott Dobie who led Scotland’s attack alongside Kyle, neither of whom were remotely in Stephen Dobbie’s class.

Harsh on Kevin Kyle, who largely performed at a higher level than Stephen Dobbie. He was excellent at Hearts.

I don’t think Dobbie would have been a terrible shout for a cap a couple of years ago tbf. Is someone like Eamonn Brophy really better than him?

See also Rory McAllister, who had Scottish Premiership level talent but refused to go full time due to his successful plumbing business. 
Also, while I don’t think Eamonn Brophy was good enough, he was 23 at the time and top scorer for the side who’s just come 3rd in the Premiership.
Stephen Dobbie, while undoubtedly a better player, was 35 and playing for a side who’d just come 9th in the division below. 

Dobbie was on fire a few seasons ago but the reality was he was playing in the second tier in Scotland. He should have had a shout when Strachan was in charge and he (Dobbie) was in his prime. I don't necessarily think he would have been a prolific goalscorer at International level but when you see some of the squad lists from Strachan's time it's pretty incredible he managed to omit Dobbie from selection.

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

Harsh on Kevin Kyle, who largely performed at a higher level than Stephen Dobbie. He was excellent at Hearts.

Kevin Kyle was not on the same universe in terms of footballing ability as Stephen Dobbie. Kyle had a purple patch at hearts and Kilmarnock - that was his entire career. 

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not assuming we're a stick-on to win tonight or anything, but I'm actually looking forward to an away game against one of the weaker nations.

This is a feeling with which I am unfamiliar. It's nice.

When was the last time we skelped someone away from home? Albania? Not that I think we are going to pump the Faroes, read earlier they haven't lost by four in 5 year years.