Faroe Islands v Scotland

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I still think Fraser was the right choice. Whenever he got the ball, he was sticking in good deliveries and made a good couple of inside runs - problem being, for much of the game he wasn't getting the ball as we were playing shite.

Same went with Billy Gilmour having a quiet first half the other night against Israel - it was cos nobody gave him the ball.

Anyway, Fraser is a wing back for using only against teams like the Faroes etc.

The other main 50/50 for me was McTominay or McGregor in which I plumped for McTominay. IMHO, he needs benched for the next game. He's not offering enough at the moment - almost stuck in second gear.

Fraser nearly cost us conceding our first goal . Mctominay I agree bench but it won't happen. Patterson was the right choice for the faroes game. Fraser did put a good ball in for McGinn however.... he needs more game time ( 54 minutes this season in epl ...,) I presume with Newcastle being bought over he won't be there for long 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How many times have Scotland turned a great home victory into a meaningless memory by failing to beat the shite side in qualifying away in the same campaign?

Performance not the best tonight but winning while playing poorly away to diddy sides is something we've all craved for years. If you can beat the shite sides home and away then thats half the battle for qualifying, doesn't matter how it happens.

The fact we are describing a win against 80th ranked Israel as 'a great home victory' shows that we aren't in great shape. Yes, the nature of it was pleasing but we should be beating the Pot 4 team at home. The best result in this group by a mile has been winning in Austria.

40 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with them, they weren't some diddy team keeping ten men behind the ball at all, they attacked in numbers, pressed well and were unlucky not to score. I feel they've got a big result in the post, just glad it wasn't against us!

Agreed

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The fact we are describing a win against 80th ranked Israel as 'a great home victory' shows that we aren't in great shape. Yes, the nature of it was pleasing but we should be beating the Pot 4 team at home. The best result in this group by a mile has been winning in Austria.

The table shows that we are, in fact, in great shape.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The table shows that we are, in fact, in great shape.

As far as getting a play-off place, yes, although we should really have that in the bag pretty much already after blowing our Nations League. 

Being seeded and the draw us going to be huge for the playoffs. Could get home to two teams we'd feel we'd have a chance of beating, say Czech Republic and Croatia or get a stinker away from home.  

Edited by 10menwent2mow

52 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I was the same. Thought that midfield would be a great set up, but just didn't work.

I actually thought Gilmour was pretty poor last night and if SOD had played like Robertson did, he would be getting absolutely slaughtered today. McTominay I thought was pretty poor by his standards, although the last 5 mins he looked a totally different player.

You're quite mad.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You're quite mad.

By his standards. I think he is going to be an incredible player, but compared to how he had performed in his other games for Scotland, last night was no where near it. 

He was probably one of our best players, but that isn't saying much. I think he is capable of much better than he played. 

6 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

As far as getting a play-off place, yes, although we should really have that in the bag pretty much already after blowing our Nations League. 

Being seeded and the draw us going to be huge for the playoffs. Could get home to two teams we'd feel we'd have a chance of beating, say Czech Republic and Croatia or get a stinker away from home.  

Finishing 2nd in a group isn't something we've done for 18 years, obviously we want to get seeded, but to suggest that being in a position where we only have a 30-50% chance of getting seeded means we "aren't in great shape" is quite an extreme position to take given that history.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Finishing 2nd in a group isn't something we've done for 18 years, obviously we want to get seeded, but to suggest that being in a position where we only have a 30-50% chance of getting seeded means we "aren't in great shape" is quite an extreme position to take given that history.

I guess it's maybe more of a case of not getting carried away. After getting draws against Israel and Serbia, I think most of the country was convinced that we were near certainties to get out of, what was a fairly weak Euros group. With home advantage we couldn't even manage that. There is no doubt that progress has been made and I like that Clarke has brought an almost club mentality to the national side, and I hope that progress continues. I just think that in terms of performance and players, we are nowhere near the level of a side knocking on the doors of a major tournament. That said, as you've mentioned, getting to the playoffs is better than we've managed for quite some time. It's going to take good fortune, a significant improvement again, or both to make it to Qatar

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I guess it's maybe more of a case of not getting carried away. After getting draws against Israel and Serbia, I think most of the country was convinced that we were near certainties to get out of, what was a fairly weak Euros group. With home advantage we couldn't even manage that. There is no doubt that progress has been made and I like that Clarke has brought an almost club mentality to the national side, and I hope that progress continues. I just think that in terms of performance and players, we are nowhere near the level of a side knocking on the doors of a major tournament. That said, as you've mentioned, getting to the playoffs is better than we've managed for quite some time. It's going to take good fortune, a significant improvement again, or both to make it to Qatar

Our Euros group was not “fairly weak.” I’d argue it was one of the stronger groups. 

We, demonstrably, are at the level of a side knocking on the doors of a major tournament, given we’re incredibly likely to qualify for the playoffs to get to one. 

By his standards. I think he is going to be an incredible player, but compared to how he had performed in his other games for Scotland, last night was no where near it. 
He was probably one of our best players, but that isn't saying much. I think he is capable of much better than he played. 
I thought Gordon was our best player and Gilmour second-best but yeah definitely slim pickings and not probably his least influential 90 minutes for us.

41 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You're quite mad.

36 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Billy Gilmour bashing will not be tolerated.

47 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Always wanting more and never happy lol.

• when we make the playoffs we need to be seeded.
  • when we qualify we need to make it out the group
  • when we make it out the group we need to win
  • when we win we need to win it again and so it goes on.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

That pic looks very dodgy but who caresad0dc42b6ceadde6cea09c198f36ec5d.jpg

I think we have had the rub of the green in general throughout the group with VAR and others teams (Austria) having injuries to their players etc. 

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

That pic looks very dodgy but who caresad0dc42b6ceadde6cea09c198f36ec5d.jpg

Looks like the ball is yet to hit him and would clear his arms. Is the rule not been amended to say something about the shirt sleeve being a playable part of the body?

Either way VAR couldn't have seen enough to overturn the decision

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Too soon.