Faroe Islands v Scotland

7 hours ago, Namond Brice said:

We're a win against the bottom seed away from finishing 2nd and qualifying for a playoff with a game to spare. It's going to be our best qualification campaign for 2 decades.

Why are some people on the verge of tears ?

Exactly this. Last night was like away to Israel in 1981, Iceland in 85, Cyprus in 89, Belarus in 97. Dreadful performances but vital wins that took us to World Cups.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not after we won though. 😄

I was grinning ear to ear for about a month starting from the morning after. 

It's the morning after again, I'm hungover after a 5am start and I couldn't be happier. I'm not one of these miserable c***s who likes to bring Scotland down, but their antics over the last 20 years mean that they give me the fear like nothing else in football. 

Might as well enjoy the next month or so now though. It feels great to be in contention again. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How many times have Scotland turned a great home victory into a meaningless memory by failing to beat the shite side in qualifying away in the same campaign?

I know it's rhetorical, but twice that I can think of - both times involving Georgia.

It happened in Monaco against Estonia too, but we got away with that one.

9 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

So if we beat Moldova we will finish runner up in the group.

The 10 runners up from the leagues get joined by the 2 highest Nations League teams that haven't qualified automatically and are not runner ups......it will be Austria and either Wales or the Czech Republic. The Welsh and Czechs will both be involved in some capacity.

The Twelve teams are then drawn into 3 groups of 4 teams. It's a one leg semi then a one leg final. That gets the 12 teams down to three "Winners" who all qualify for the World Cup.

So Scotland 3 wins from Qatar .

I know the seeded sides get to be at home in the play-off semis.  What determines the venue of the play-off finals? 

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I know the seeded sides get to be at home in the play-off semis.  What determines the venue of the play-off finals? 

The winner of the first of the two semi finals to be pulled out of the hat is at home in the final, so you want to be drawn in that one.

The dream scenario for us is obviously to be seeded and in one of those semis, therefore knowing that we are two home wins from qualifying. 

Edited by Lurkst

10 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Even VAR gets more credit than Dykes on here.🤣

I can't say I've been impressed by Dykes' performances (on the few times I've seen him, to be fair) but 4 goals in 4 internationals is good going.

58 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The winner of the first of the two semi finals to be pulled out of the hat is at home in the final, so you want to be drawn in that one.

The dream scenario for us is obviously to be seeded and in one of those semis, therefore knowing that we are two home wins from qualifying. 

but to be seeded we probably need to beat Denmark, so we are looking at three successive home wins against likely 3 higher ranked teams. Ooooft. 

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Playing away from home doesn't seem to be a big problem for the team at present. 

Absolutely dreadful last night and won. Same again in Chisinau would do.

Think we had reinforced last night that McGregor has to play alongside Gilmour in the middle of the park. McTominay was pretty poor, Fraser needs game time for his club as he was a long way off his best, Christie was poor also but had little service from behind him.

We've tripped up against 5th seeds so often (Georgia, Lithuania and Kazakhstan spring to mind) so thankfully we got the win.

9 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Absolutely dreadful last night and won. Same again in Chisinau would do.

Think we had reinforced last night that McGregor has to play alongside Gilmour in the middle of the park. McTominay was pretty poor, Fraser needs game time for his club as he was a long way off his best, Christie was poor also but had little service from behind him.

I don't like Christie and McGinn in the same side. Christie likes to occupy the gaps and spaces that McGinn likes to run into. McGinn's the bigger attacking threat and offers more defensively. Christie should be McGinn's back up.