Faroe Islands v Scotland

That was tear gas to behold but to complain too much about it would be ridiculous - you only have to look at the fact that Denmark, a significantly better side than us, could only manage a breakthrough very late on to realise that the Faroes are very good at frustrating teams, particularly at home. They're also not the complete minnows they were back in 2002 etc, either.

Edited by the_bully_wee

3 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

A sign of a good team is that you keep winning even when you don’t play well.

A clean sheet, 3 points and qualification for the play offs still in our own hands.

Onwards and upwards.

Sounds like the sign of a lucky team to me. 

Have Scotland been good under Clarke? Not particularly but they've certainly having more than a fair share of luck at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Have Scotland been good under Clarke? Not particularly but they've certainly having more than a fair share of luck at the moment. 

Bad teams don't tend to get a lot of luck.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Would you rather Scotland played The Faroes off the park yet lost 1-0 to a late goal?

I bet you’d celebrate a goalless draw against England like it was a win 🤦‍♂️

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Bad teams don't tend to get a lot of luck.

We're not a bad team, but we're not a good team either. 

We got to the last Euros because of 2 penalty shoot out wins, but our level was exposed against the Czechs and Croatia. And that's the kind of level we'll be facing in the play-offs. 

There are fleeting glimpses that we can compete at a higher level.....against Serbia, England and Austria....but it would be nice to see that on a more regular basis. 

Listen I was not happy about the performance tonite. We were by and large very poor. 

But we have played better in games in the past and lost, so I will take it all day long.

As for Dykes. I love the big man. Does not hide. He may be technically limited but he gets in the right position. 4 goals in 4 games. What is not to love. 

We have a much better team than we have had for a while but I think two play off games will be a step too far. Our only hope is we seem to play better v the better teams. But can I see us winning two games v teams seeded above us. Sadly not….

That was tear gas to behold but to complain too much about it would be ridiculous - you only have to look at the fact that Denmark, a significantly better side than us, could only manage a breakthrough very late on to realise that the Faroes are very good at frustrating teams, particularly at home. They're also not the complete minnows they were back in 2002 etc, either.
That hammering Kazakhstan gave us a few years back shows how vulnerable we can be.

There's an expectation that we should be going out and hammering teams but success for a country like us at football usually starts off with giving players consistency and getting them used to a system and way of playing.

Dull in games against the minnows when it feels like we maybe should be stepping up in games but ultimately, Clarke's style definitely has done the business over a long period.

A lot of talk about luck but by the same token, we probably would have beaten the Czechs on another day and possibly went through the groups if we were more fortunate in how the chances fell and not losing a wonder goal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, welldaft said:

Listen I was not happy about the performance tonite. We were by and large very poor. 

But we have played better in games in the past and lost, so I will take it all day long.

As for Dykes. I love the big man. Does not hide. He may be technically limited but he gets in the right position. 4 goals in 4 games. What is not to love. 

We have a much better team than we have had for a while but I think two play off games will be a step too far. Our only hope is we seem to play better v the better teams. But can I see us winning two games v teams seeded above us. Sadly not….

Looking at the teams that could be in the play-offs, we're certainly one of the weakest. 

Seeding would maybe help, but it could end that we have to beat somebody like Portugal, Spain or Croatia. Or even two of them.