Faroe Islands v Scotland

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If winning football matches makes you depressed and unhappy can I suggest alternative sports such as knitting or finger painting might be a better fit for you? I'm sure there must be a competitive knitting club near you.

I'll be delighted tomorrow, my man, but by God it's terrible being put through the wringer like that. 

I'm sure you may have felt the same when that last minute equaliser went in in Belgrade and yet... 

1 minute ago, rainbowrising said:

People need to recall how we actually performed in the last major tournament against good opposition.  We seem to think beating teams ranked FIFA 80 to 100+ by the skin of our teeth proves how good this squad is. You think? 

Maybe shitfesting our way to tournaments is our new thing.

It's more fun than being out before the final round of matches TBH.

I think that game is quite typical of Clarke’s reign, a bit shite at times but quite confusingly, we achieve what we set out to do.

Other than the Serbia game (which just about turned to shite) the England game and the Austria game, we’ve been a bit patchy and had a few breaks which have masked worrying performances. That first half felt very familiar, our players playing below their level, with their confidence and ability seemingly disappearing. 

As we saw at the Euros, when you come up against better sides, don’t take your chances and then make a couple of defensive mistakes, generally your luck runs out. 

But despite all that, you look at the bigger picture - the group table here, and our previous unbeaten run -  and things are going pretty well, so if being shite but scraping our way through is the future then I suppose I’m all for it.

Dykes... fecking love the big ride.

I think he's probably the worst player, technically, in the squad, and seems to need 3 or 4 goes on the ball to make something stick ... but he's also proving to be vital to how Clarke sets us up. His physicality and attitude mean we are always in with a chance of bulldozing the opposition defence.

Shame be couldn't have avoided that yellow, played, scored then picked the yellow up Vs Moldova instead.

Our ability to get over the line in the past 3 games has been immense, the mark of a strong team at international level IMO.

The shithousery during stoppage time was a joy to watch, textbook example of how to kill a football match.

4 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

People need to recall how we actually performed in the last major tournament against good opposition.  We seem to think beating teams ranked FIFA 80 to 100+ by the skin of our teeth proves how good this squad is. You think? 

I don’t think anyone thinks we’ve turned into a prime Italy squad here. It is ok to enjoy actually winning games and not being 4th in our qualification group for a change.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Dykes... fecking love the big ride.

I think he's probably the worst player, technically, in the squad, and seems to need 3 or 4 goes on the ball to make something stick ... but he's also proving to be vital to how Clarke sets us up. His physicality and attitude mean we are always in with a chance of bulldozing the opposition defence.

Shame be couldn't have avoided that yellow, played, scored then picked the yellow up Vs Moldova instead.

interesting take. kenny miller never came close to achieving 4 in 4 and he gave everything he had. 

Dykes is turning out to be some player for us 

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

Let's hope Dykes can continue this impressive scoring run and we pick it up a bit against Moldova.

I believe he's suspended for the Moldova game. Canny believe there's still folk out there that don't want him in the team. He's not the best player in the world but he's EXACTLY the type of player this Scotland team needs.

2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I think that game is quite typical of Clarke’s reign, a bit shite at times but quite confusingly, we achieve what we set out to do.

Other than the Serbia game (which just about turned to shite) the England game and the Austria game, we’ve been a bit patchy and had a few breaks which have masked worrying performances. That first half felt very familiar, our players playing below their level, with their confidence and ability seemingly disappearing. 

As we saw at the Euros, when you come up against better sides, don’t take your chances and then make a couple of defensive mistakes, generally your luck runs out. 

But despite all that, you look at the bigger picture - the group table here, and our previous unbeaten run -  and things are going pretty well, so if being shite but scraping our way through is the future then I suppose I’m all for it.

Maybe Clarke has supernatural powers. It's the only explanation for this newfound ability to dig out important results in games where we've looked disappointingly poor.

Probably best we don't upset him.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Maybe shitfesting our way to tournaments is our new thing.

It's more fun than being out before the final round of matches TBH.

I get what you say but people seem to think this squad is built for something significant, that it can compete and achieve at a level no squad has done before. I dont see that.  At all. 

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We are looking ok right now for seeding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Second_Round

Probably hard to say with different numbers of counting matches played but it doesn't look like we are in trouble.

Bearing in mind that only our game v Denmark counts towards our total then it looks very much touch and go. Our goal difference is not great and those on 11 points, should they win their outstanding game(s) then they would virtually all be above us on goals.  However, I do actually believe that we can get something v Denmark at home.  Not convinced they would be overly bothered about qualifying with 100% record....nice to have but not enough to bust a gut if you have a big meanignful club match a few days later