Faroe Islands v Scotland

Might sound like sacrilege but I’d be swapping MGinn for Turnbull tonight and then Christie in for Adams. 
This is for playing the Faroes mind so think their trickery around a full box and old club connection would work in our favour
I have my doubts over Turnbull in this system but would like to see him in a low-intensity game. That would probably only be against proper shite though.

Mon Scotland, into these whale murderers!!!!!!!!!!!![emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿[emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿[emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Agreed. What they do to those amazing creatures is fucking barbaric. A swift boot in the pie here please, Scotland.

There's a guy on here who posts pictures of Faroe Islands football stadiums and it looks a stunning country. Had it on my list of places to visit but after watching Seaspiracy it's put me right off. Horrible c***s. Complete ignorance but I had no idea they did that until I watched the show.

12 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
44 minutes ago, saint pogo said:
Might sound like sacrilege but I’d be swapping MGinn for Turnbull tonight and then Christie in for Adams. 
This is for playing the Faroes mind so think their trickery around a full box and old club connection would work in our favour

I have my doubts over Turnbull in this system but would like to see him in a low-intensity game. That would probably only be against proper shite though.

He would slot right into the no 10 position behind the front two but Christie playing more out to the right 

Not the most balanced but with Dykes getting plenty whipped balls from either wing and Gilmour and Turnbull dictating just behind I would think we should really put some pressure on.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's a guy on here who posts pictures of Faroe Islands football stadiums and it looks a stunning country. Had it on my list of places to visit but after watching Seaspiracy it's put me right off. Horrible c***s. Complete ignorance but I had no idea they did that until I watched the show.

Watched it last wknd. Hated seeing it and don’t agree with it but they had a point. It was probably the most eco of anything on the show.

9 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

The team from the 2-2 draw in 2002...... 

Take out Lambert and Ferguson and that is an extremely weak Scotland team.  Some will continue to moan about options up front but how would we feel these days with the likes of Kevin Kyle and Stephen Dobie leading the attack? 

There were quite a number of young players in that team but very few went on to have even half decent careers. Surely the current side with players from the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Aston Villa is far stronger than the team 19 years ago.

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford.

The Dobie concerned wasn't Stephen you utter walloper.

32 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Clarke has clearly settled on a team now, and I'm of the opinion that we need to play that team in every game possible. The more game time it gets, the more it will get used to playing together. IMO it has to include the below as undroppables:

Gordon

RWB - RCB - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

McGregor - Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes - ST

So that's 8/11 positions nailed down. Of the remaining 3 positions, I reckon Paterson is close to having RWB nailed down but there are still some major concerns to his game. If we were playing Denmark tonight I'd still have O'Donnell in there though. 

RCB is between Hendry and McTominay, and I'm really undecided of who I'd have here. You could argue that McTominay would be better against weaker opposition but I wouldn't chop and change the 3 defenders between games, I'd want a settled back 3. Would be happy with either. 

ST is between Adams and Christie, and as Adams is out then it's Christie's position tonight. Nisbet can come off the bench in the second half. 

Interesting that you see McGregor as undroppable. That's testament to how far he has come the past 6 months. He's a man possessed these days. Good on him for re-finding his mojo.

However, I still wouldn't put him in the same bracket as the other 7. McTominay is a top tier central midfielder. On paper, he should be undroppable, but I understand why some don't think he is. I'd be rotating between McTominay and McGregor depending on the opposition. Tonight might be a good game to see how a midfield 3 of McTominay, Gilmour and Gilmour get on together.

6 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Oh, you meant comfortable away victories - I can recall Albania, San Marino, Gibraltar and Malta in the last 5 years or so, alongside the Lithuania game you mention. 

Gibraltar was a dead rubber,  the infamous happy clapper weekend 

Albania,  nations league,  at time no one thought important,  since proved otherwise 

I'll give you Malta,  opening game of a qualifying group 

San Marino,  recall it being very laboured, Mcleish last 

Important games that matter away against minnows are often when we freeze and f**k up 

This generation have been bucking trends though 🤞

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

The group he had us in was a piece of piss - and we still nearly cocked it up. Needed a late goal in our last game against Lithuania to get second place. Germany when they were at their lowest level in living memory (they dropped points to everyone bar the Faroes in qualifying and got sent packing with 2 points in the tournament itself), Lithuania, Iceland before they got good and the Faroes.

I’m fairly confident that every manager since Bertie would have gotten a play-off place out of that even with the same players available. The Smith/McLeish team would have qualified automatically.

I agree but no manager had a bigger rebuilding job than Vogts. There was a missing cohort of players from when Scottish clubs pretty much gave up on youth development in the late 90s and started spending like crazy. 

I was at both Germany games and they were a decent outfit. They were runners up in the 2002 WC. 

41 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Clarke has clearly settled on a team now, and I'm of the opinion that we need to play that team in every game possible. The more game time it gets, the more it will get used to playing together. IMO it has to include the below as undroppables:

Gordon

RWB - RCB - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

McGregor - Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes - ST

So that's 8/11 positions nailed down. Of the remaining 3 positions, I reckon Paterson is close to having RWB nailed down but there are still some major concerns to his game. If we were playing Denmark tonight I'd still have O'Donnell in there though. 

RCB is between Hendry and McTominay, and I'm really undecided of who I'd have here. You could argue that McTominay would be better against weaker opposition but I wouldn't chop and change the 3 defenders between games, I'd want a settled back 3. Would be happy with either. 

ST is between Adams and Christie, and as Adams is out then it's Christie's position tonight. Nisbet can come off the bench in the second half. 

Agree except RCB. It has to be Hendry against stronger opposition ( and then does McTominay go into midfield ? )

He would slot right into the no 10 position behind the front two but Christie playing more out to the right 
Not the most balanced but with Dykes getting plenty whipped balls from either wing and Gilmour and Turnbull dictating just behind I would think we should really put some pressure on.
I just think he'd struggle in a 3-5-2/3-4-1-2. The midfielders cover so much ground which I don't think he's capable of. He also doesn't provide as much of a threat on the counter compared to McGinn, Christie and Armstrong. Maybe Postecoglou will help but he's not done too well when I've seen him for Celtic this season.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Dobbie was on fire a few seasons ago but the reality was he was playing in the second tier in Scotland. He should have had a shout when Strachan was in charge and he (Dobbie) was in his prime. I don't necessarily think he would have been a prolific goalscorer at International level but when you see some of the squad lists from Strachan's time it's pretty incredible he managed to omit Dobbie from selection.

The Levein era would have been the more obvious one.

Running about daft, ploughing lone furrows was never Dobbie's greatest strength though.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

Interesting that you see McGregor as undroppable. That's testament to how far he has come the past 6 months. He's a man possessed these days. Good on him for re-finding his mojo.

However, I still wouldn't put him in the same bracket as the other 7. McTominay is a top tier central midfielder. On paper, he should be undroppable, but I understand why some don't think he is. I'd be rotating between McTominay and McGregor depending on the opposition. Tonight might be a good game to see how a midfield 3 of McTominay, Gilmour and Gilmour get on together.

There's only ...

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
13 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

I just think he'd struggle in a 3-5-2/3-4-1-2. The midfielders cover so much ground which I don't think he's capable of. He also doesn't provide as much of a threat on the counter compared to McGinn, Christie and Armstrong. Maybe Postecoglou will help but he's not done too well when I've seen him for Celtic this season.

I watched the Betis game and he was excellent with Rogic who also is not the most athletic. Surely against the Faroes it would play to his strengths?

10 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

I know Gilmour is viewed by some as the new Messiah, but that's a tall ask even for a Messiah!

29 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

However, I still wouldn't put him in the same bracket as the other 7. McTominay is a top tier central midfielder. On paper, he should be undroppable, but I understand why some don't think he is. I'd be rotating between McTominay and McGregor depending on the opposition. Tonight might be a good game to see how a midfield 3 of McTominay, Billy Gilmour and Gilly Bilmour get on together.

FTFY