Faroe Islands v Scotland

What’s with all the rest and rotation chat? Play our best 11 and get the 3 points in the bag and then worry about the Moldova game which is weeks away anyway.

We are 2 wins away from getting into the play-offs we can’t afford to slip up by trying to overthink things.

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

What’s with all the rest and rotation chat? Play our best 11 and get the 3 points in the bag and then worry about the Moldova game which is weeks away anyway.

We are 2 wins away from getting into the play-offs we can’t afford to slip up by trying to overthink things.

This. 

I'm stunned that anybody would think that we should rotate players tomorrow. As you say, the Moldova game is weeks away. Play our strongest possible side, and get an early goal or two. 

Let's not forget that the last time we were all so elated.....the shoot out win against Serbia....Clarke made the huge error of allowing the side to take their eye off the ball in the Nations League, thereby shutting the door to a play-off place for the world cup. 

I'm sure he'll have learned from his stupidity, and make certain that the team are prepared for tomorrow. 

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

This. 

I'm stunned that anybody would think that we should rotate players tomorrow. As you say, the Moldova game is weeks away. Play our strongest possible side, and get an early goal or two. 

Aye well Steve Clarke has already said he will freshen it up a bit as the game was very intense on Saturday.

There's a significant risk they get booked

You didn't say there was a risk of them getting booked, you made it sound like a booking was inevitable, when in reality we'll probably get no more than 2 yellows tomorrow if the game goes as we hope it does.

I'd keep Patterson ahead of O'Donnell. I prefer SOD but Patterson needs game time and isn't gonna be too troubled defensively. Hanley should come in. I'd say for Henry but coming in for McTominay and pushing Henry to the right hand side also works. If he comes in for McTominay I'd like to see him and Gilmour in midfield together. Otherwise the middle three stay the same. Nisbet come in for Adams but widnae be upset if Christie or Fraser partnered Dykes upfront. Gordon, Robertson, and McGinn all starting obviously.

2 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I don't think many level headed people here are suggesting wholesale changes. However, there is one that has been forced upon us - Che Adams. Secondly, 2021's best player, Grant Hanley, is now available. Those 2 players create a debate, whether you like it or not. 

Ideally McTominay would be pushed into midfield and we play 1 striker, meaning no one needs to be sacrificed from Israel. However, that is a bit of an unnecessary negative lineup against the Faroes. Playing a back 5 with 3 holding midfielders might hinder our attacking prowess.

Our "strongest" team against the Faroes isn't the "strongest" team versus Denmark, for example. Tactics and personnel change based on opponents. Clarke knows this, and I trust him to pick the best 11 for this game.

7 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

I don't think many level headed people here are suggesting wholesale changes. However, there is one that has been forced upon us - Che Adams. Secondly, 2021's best player, Grant Hanley, is now available. Those 2 players create a debate, whether you like it or not. 

Ideally McTominay would be pushed into midfield and we play 1 striker, meaning no one needs to be sacrificed from Israel. However, that is a bit of an unnecessary negative lineup against the Faroes. Playing a back 5 with 3 holding midfielders might hinder our attacking prowess.

Our "strongest" team against the Faroes isn't the "strongest" team versus Denmark, for example. Tactics and personnel change based on opponents. Clarke knows this, and I trust him to pick the best 11 for this game.

Ryan Christie was brought in for Moldova in place of Callum McGregor, but would that restrict the attacks down the left flank from Tierney and Robertson that worked so well against Israel and the last time against the Faroe Islands.

20 hours ago, ropy said:

Got a couple of down votes for this but according to the Herald, Clarke agrees that Dykes should be off the penalties.  My secondary point was that if the game is won and we get a penalty then giving it to Dykes presents an opportunity for him to get back on track and not let his poor penalties be a ‘thing’.

Someone else should be on penalty duty, full stop.  I like Dykes as a player but his last two pens have been really poor - he got away with the Vienna one and then  the other night was either deeply stupid or a complete miskick (as I think he claimed later).

There are plenty of other candidates as the Serbia shoot out showed - so no, the idea of giving Dykes another go just because we're leading is a bad idea.

The team from the 2-2 draw in 2002...... 

Take out Lambert and Ferguson and that is an extremely weak Scotland team.  Some will continue to moan about options up front but how would we feel these days with the likes of Kevin Kyle and Stephen Dobie leading the attack? 

There were quite a number of young players in that team but very few went on to have even half decent careers. Surely the current side with players from the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Aston Villa is far stronger than the team 19 years ago.

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford.

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd keep Patterson ahead of O'Donnell. I prefer SOD but Patterson needs game time and isn't gonna be too troubled defensively. Hanley should come in. I'd say for Henry but coming in for McTominay and pushing Henry to the right hand side also works. If he comes in for McTominay I'd like to see him and Gilmour in midfield together. Otherwise the middle three stay the same. Nisbet come in for Adams but widnae be upset if Christie or Fraser partnered Dykes upfront. Gordon, Robertson, and McGinn all starting obviously.

Thierry wouldn’t have made a great centre half in his prime, never mind at his age now. Also he’s French.

He lost his man at the free kick for the Israel 2nd which was very poor defending to be fair.
I would play him in midfield alongside Gilmour but MacGregor has been playing well so you can’t argue with his selection.
McTominay is fine at centre back but just not a long term option in my opinion.
Yes, but only after Robertson had let him run off him, they share blame for the second goal. Hendry was described as top class, he isn't. Is he one of our best central defenders, absolutely. He was doubly to blame for the first goal by giving away a needless free kick and then not staying tight in the wall. I just think he still needs to work on his decision making internationally. That will come though.

I feel more nervous about this game than i did about the Isreal one for some reason! Praying for an early goal to settle us down and (hopefully) make it a comfortable night. Christie looked hungry when he came on against Isreal so I would go with him right up with Dykes. Hanley will come in also but for Mctominay or Hendry I'm not sure!   You would hope we would have the lions share of possession so i would personally keep McTominay in there as i think he is very good on the ball from that deeper position. 3 points please!!!

6 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

I feel more nervous about this game than i did about the Isreal one for some reason! Praying for an early goal to settle us down and (hopefully) make it a comfortable night. Christie looked hungry when he came on against Isreal so I would go with him right up with Dykes. Hanley will come in also but for Mctominay or Hendry I'm not sure!   You would hope we would have the lions share of possession so i would personally keep McTominay in there as i think he is very good on the ball from that deeper position. 3 points please!!!

Lithuania away last time we played them is the only 'comfortable' victory i can remember in a very long time of watching Scotland 

I'm talking gough late winner v Cyprus type duration 

Some games may have escaped my memory but we are never comfortable