Faroe Islands v Scotland

I don’t think you’re splitting up the Gilmour-McGregor combination so if Gilmour is fit then it’s RCB or bust for McTominay. I actually like him in the role although I appreciate he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

McTominay was understandably moved back into midfield before the emergence of Gilmour but having BG in their now puts McTominay back to RCB.

Grant Hanley needs to play. My gut feeling is that Jack Hendry should be the fall guy but I note that Andy Robertson is on the yellow card tightrope so it may be prudent to rest him. This would mean Tierney kicking out to LWB and Hendry moving across to LCB with Hanley slotting into the middle of the back three.

I’d be tempted to go with SOD on the right for this one. Patterson is on a yellow and played 90 minutes on Saturday, so worth saving him for the Moldova game. 

Is Denmark for the Faroes not a bit like England for us, in that that’s the game they’re desperate to win and more fired up for that usual? Could partly explain why they did reasonably well against them, while being beaten comfortably by the rest (bar obvious dross in Moldova) 

I think we should be beating them fairly comfortably, but obviously we’ll need to play well to do that. 

These matches always make me a bit nervous... I'm not exactly in the first flush of youth so after decades of disappointments/ rage/ fury/ tantrums I must confess to a laugh when some pundit says something like 'of course, (insert name of diddy country) should present a team like Scotland few problems...' 

Heard it! 

In 2007 Scotland reached 13th in the Fifa rankings.  We're not at 45th spot now by accident. We don't beat the teams we 'should' beat consistently enough.  Maybe this recent campaign is the start of sustained progress.  Some encouraging signs are there but our lack of top notch striker options is a huge drawback. 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

It would be daft to go all out attack over there. Sit back, let them come on to us and try and hit them on the break or nick something from a set piece. It worked for Denmark and it'll *hopefully* work for us.

Go out and try to play on the break against the Faroes?  Come on

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

This would mean Tierney kicking out to LWB and Hendry moving across to LCB with Hanley slotting into the middle of the back three. 

Hendry hasn't spent a second of his life at LCB.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’d be tempted to go with SOD on the right for this one. Patterson is on a yellow and played 90 minutes on Saturday, so worth saving him for the Moldova game.

What? rest him in the Faroes so he can play Moldova? what's the difference?

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

It would be daft to go all out attack over there. Sit back, let them come on to us and try and hit them on the break or nick something from a set piece. It worked for Denmark and it'll *hopefully* work for us.

They play 4-5-1 and judging by their twitter a draw would be historic for them so sitting back and waiting for them to attack might not work.

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Hendry hasn't spent a second of his life at LCB.

What? rest him in the Faroes so he can play Moldova? what's the difference?

Well whoever plays tomorrow will likely be suspended for the Moldova game, so it needs to be one tomorrow and one against Moldova.

Personally I’d rather SOD tomorrow and NP against Moldova because Patterson played 90 minutes on Saturday whereas O’Donnell is fresh.

13 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Don't see Hendry dropping out for Hanley. Hanley is very much a no nonsense defender, I'd much rather have all 3 defenders capable of passing it out or driving forward from the back in games we should be dominating

It's a fair point, but Hanley also brings other qualities and experience that maybe we missed on Saturday so that might see him return.

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Well whoever plays tomorrow will likely be suspended for the Moldova game, so it needs to be one tomorrow and one against Moldova.

Personally I’d rather SOD tomorrow and NP against Moldova because Patterson played 90 minutes on Saturday whereas O’Donnell is fresh.

What if they don’t get booked?

3 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

No one that I know of. We will be in a seriously dire situation if not a single new viable striker emerges in the next 7 years though.

You never know, it could be a known player e.g Shankland, Watt, Stewart, McBurnie. None of them sound very appealing right now, but crazier things have happened.

Watt and Stewart ( via a listener ) Harvey Barnes got mentioned on Sp*rts**nd tonight.

WRT the last named I believe Levein was still trying to justify 4 - 6 - 0

John Collins could not think of anyone with is fair enough

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I can't stand Crocker on Scotland games, everyone has their doom monger mate where every opposition corner / free kick is "bet you they score here"  and every bad break it defensive error is "typical <team>, always doing it the hard way". Crocker is just that for 90 minutes. I had to mute both the Israel and Serbia playoffs as it was so bad. 

Mccoist does at least balance it out compared to Provan who was just more of the same with added moaning. 

You can basically predict his opening gambit tomorrow night. 

"Scotland did the hard part on Saturday against Israel, but wouldn't it just be typical of them to trip up tonight"