St Johnstone v Celtic

mizfit

Terrifying, to me, that its 14 years since we last played Celtic at Hampden. Still feels like yesterday.

Back then hearing the draw I was terrified of getting them. Proper knowledge it was the end of the road and full on fear waiting on their name and ours.

Tonight I didn't even bother watching the draw as I think we have a chance against any of the sides mentioned. Idea of playing Celtic at Hampden is delightful, our SC Semi win v Aberdeen at Ibrox times ten in terms of disparity of the size of supports, with every chance of going through. Just imagine the feeling of watching us cruise the last 10 minutes while the Celtic end empties.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

It’s been 14 years since we last played Celtic in a cup semi final.

Absolutely robbed that day.

Makes it worse that the very next year we, once again, got shafted by a diving OF player winning a penalty.

Absolutely robbed that day.
Makes it worse that the very next year we, once again, got shafted by a diving OF player winning a penalty.

I was more livid at the Rangers semi than the Celtic semi loss. Not sure why.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

I was more livid at the Rangers semi than the Celtic semi loss. Not sure why.

Maybe because we led v Rangers in extra time, while never led v Celtic?

The inevitability of the OF getting a penalty against us whenever we dare to take the lead against them is a truly incredible thing.

Having had a night to think about this, I have no fear going into the game. We’ve great cup pedigree just now and we’ve started to click.

Celtic, are still trying to figure out how they want to play under Postecoglu.

Never a better chance.

• 1 month later...

Depending on injuries, this team would be capable of getting a result; 

Clark

Rooney Brown Gordon McCart Booth

MOH Bryson Davidson Wotherspoon

Kane

Subs: Parish, May, Middleton, Eetu, Ambrose, Devine, Craig, Crawford, Dendoncker.

MOH to go from wide right to supporting Kane, but he’s better starting from a slightly deeper position.  Gives us a bit of pace to stretch them. He has been far better than Middleton this season, who hasn’t looked sharp at all. 

The enthusiasm on P&B about this game is almost overwhelming. 👀

I just watched clips from last season’s quarters, semis and finals from both cups and am now buzzing. I suggest Saints fans do the same prior to Saturday if you want to get yourselves up for it!

I’d go…

Clark

Brown  Gordon  McCart

Rooney                                Booth

Bryson  Davidson

Middleton                 Wotherspoon

Kane

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

Against Celtic, the CBs stepping out is obviously less of an issue, so simply the best out-and-out defender partners Gordon and McCart. Those saying Brown have a fair case possibly, although if Dendoncker had played more, who knows. Can you trust Ambrose? As has said every manager ever I suspect. With Rooney back at RWB and Wotherspoon hopefully fit and available on the left of attack to elevate Booth's game, we have a threat from those areas. 

The big question is how we cope without McCann in the, likely, two-man, midfield? Bryson doesn't have the same energy levels as McCann (who does?) but he's surely the best option. Craig is more comfortable on the ball but Davidson had some big performances in Europe and is capable of keeping it simple. I'd go with him. Cammy MacPherson almost slipped my mind, hopefully he does completely with the manager. 

Toughest pick is maybe the right the front three: O'Halloran, Middleton and Crawford the contenders. The latter would leave us with a real lack of pace in the side when we are probably looking to play on the break a lot. Middleton is struggling a bit and, in reality, a couple of big moments last season have probably papered over an uninspiring year in Perth. O'Halloran doesn't understand the position. Given Middleton might make an impact off the bench, I'd start O'Halloran but that's said with no great enthusiasm. 

Clark

Brown - Gordon - McCart 

Rooney - Bryson - Davidson - Booth

O'Halloran - Kane - Wotherspoon 

Subbies: Parish, Ambrose, Dendoncker, Devine, Craig, MacPherson, Crawford, Middleton, Vertainen.