New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wait the guy who started a petition to rename Glasgow airport so Paisley could get more publicity, is now “actually glad” that Paisley didn’t get the publicity Dunfermline has gotten here? Cmon lad sort your story out

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I see the “start getting more ridiculous to make it seem like you were just trolling the whole time” card is getting pulled out.

Yes because my first post was so seriously composed as well. Do you too wonder why Dunfermline doesn’t have a Paisley Abbey? Honest to god I despair for the future of this country if this is the sort of dumplings I’m surrounded by. 

We are on a subsection of a Scottish football forum, taking up a minuscule part of a big thing called ‘the internet’ posting mostly meaningless words amongst each other. It’s not that deep m8. 

3 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

Wait the guy who started a petition to rename Glasgow airport so Paisley could get more publicity, is now “actually glad” that Paisley didn’t get the publicity Dunfermline has gotten here? Cmon lad sort your story out

If the petition goes as planned then the word ‘Paisley’ is going to be visible on every airport departure board from Wemyss Bay to Bombay, from Lochgelly to New Delhi, from Glencoe to Tokyo. Dunfermline will still be the irrelevance it is today wether it’s a city or not. Jim Leishman is the Provost for god sake, I’ve met cats that have got a higher IQ than him. 

If the petition goes as planned then the word ‘Paisley’ is going to be visible on every airport departure board from Wemyss Bay to Bombay, from Lochgelly to New Delhi, from Glencoe to Tokyo. Dunfermline will still be the irrelevance it is today wether it’s a city or not. Jim Leishman is the Provost for god sake, I’ve met cats that have got a higher IQ than him. 

Leishman is actually the provost of Fife rather than just Dunfermline

They’d have to secede from Fife Council if they we’re going have their own provost

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I might start a petition to rename it Abbotsinch Airport.

If you agree to cease any action with regards to that cause I would be a very easy man to deal with, and would be willing to offer a percentage of the Paisley Airport Ltd shareholding as a sweetener. Something in the region of 1.25%? PM me to discuss privately. 

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Leishman is actually the provost of Fife rather than just Dunfermline

They’d have to secede from Fife Council if they we’re going have their own provost

To be fair I actually quite like Jim Leishman and was glad to see he had been re-elected as the Provost. Better someone like him getting it over a career politician who only cares for the title and free dinners. 

“Promise this is all just one big whoosh. Look, here’s 2000 words over 37 posts, several screenshots and a lot of snotty tears to prove it.”

I for one find it remarkable how so many people are willing to actively disassociate themselves with Glasgow, which some on here make out to be the greatest cultural beacon known to NW Europe.

The fact that the folk pushing this are usually folk from Paisley, Coatbridge or Airdrie makes it all the more amazing.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I for one find it remarkable how so many people are willing to actively disassociate themselves with Glasgow, which some on here make out to be the greatest cultural beacon known to NW Europe.

The fact that the folk pushing this are usually folk from Paisley, Coatbridge or Airdrie makes it all the more amazing.

Do people that have lived their full life in Stonehaven say their from Aberdeen? Do people born and raised in Livingston walk about telling people they are from Edinburgh? It’s not about disassociating with Glasgow, more just factually stating where you are from. Glasgow is a great city, I visit it for food and drinks regularly and work in it Monday to Friday, but I would never dream of saying I come from Glasgow. 

I don’t know if you are from a different part of the country or not, and thinking places like Paisley or Airdrie just merge in to the outskirts of Glasgow and the people are just wandering around these areas aimlessly, completely unaware wether they are in Glasgow or not. Airdrie especially, it’s about a 20 minute drive from Glasgow. I work with guys from Glasgow in their 40s that could count on one hand the number of times they have been in Paisley. It’s a completely separate town and you would be able to tell once you had left Glasgow and were entering Paisley. 

40 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Do people that have lived their full life in Stonehaven say their from Aberdeen? Do people born and raised in Livingston walk about telling people they are from Edinburgh? 

No, because they're very clearly not from Aberdeen/Edinburgh and therefore have absolutely no need or right to.

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

No, because they're very clearly not from Aberdeen/Edinburgh and therefore have absolutely no need or right to.

And that statement is still as accurate if you substitute in Paisley and Glasgow. Two completely separate locations. I’ve never heard a single person from Paisley say they are from Glasgow, the two names aren’t interchangeable in the same way Aberdeen and Stonehaven aren’t. Is this just an extension of the east coast ignorance that people from towns in the vicinity of Glasgow get classed as ‘weegies’? 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I take it your from this so called ‘Dunfermline’ city? I hope it makes you very happy. Good luck paying your direct debits or feeding your family with ‘city status’. The whole town has been played like a fiddle and I’m actually glad Paisley didn’t get it. 

I seem to recall there used to occasionally be some sort of city funding for local officials to spunk on vanity projects. Is that no longer the case?

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

And that statement is still as accurate if you substitute in Paisley and Glasgow. Two completely separate locations. I’ve never heard a single person from Paisley say they are from Glasgow, the two names aren’t interchangeable in the same way Aberdeen and Stonehaven aren’t. Is this just an extension of the east coast ignorance that people from towns in the vicinity of Glasgow get classed as ‘weegies’? 

Au contraire, this is very much about folk from Paisley hating being called Weegies and attempting to dodge that bullet.  Of course they're going to live in blissful ignorance.

I suppose an other facet would be the Greater Glasgow area being notoriously insular at a Scottish level, and therefore crying out for separate identities in a manner that doesn't involve the old weegism that is "whit school did ye go tae?".

My grandfather was from Bridgeton (then part of Lanarkshire) and until he died recently he would still talk about the place as if it held some special status separate to Glasgow (which anyone not from there would know to be psychotic behaviour), much like many other places in that neck of the woods.   The whole Paisley thing is just a further extension of that same mindset.

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If you want to quibble, Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow, in that Glasgow, like a lot of cities, has outgrown it's original boundaries, and becomes a sprawling conurbation, prefixed by 'Greater'. Just as Pimlico and Hackney aren't part of the City of London, but are definitely part of Greater London (and anyone from Greater London would be conventionally referred to as a Londoner - the city of London boundaries only house a few thousand people), Paisley is, unequivocally, and officially part of the locality of Greater Glasgow, like Bearsden and Bellshill.

Here's an official document by the Scottish National Records Office, mirroring the General Registry of Scotland and it's definition of the Greater Glasgow locality, which very much includes Paisley. There's more precise documents and ESRI shapefiles, if you're a borderline case, but it's pretty clear that the bulk of Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/settlements-localities/set-loc-16/settlements-localities-background-info.pdf

I'm sorry you have to hear about it this way, but unfortunately, Scotland has officially marked you down as a weegie.

Hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If you're from paisley you're a weegie, unlucky.