New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Oh it’s not a town anymore? What is it then as I genuinely don’t know? A village?

No, a suburb (in denial).

The fact that it's run by a separate council area is completely irrelevant, cf. Rutherglen.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

Should have been South Ayrshire -

International Airport,
3 open golf courses,
Worlds most famous poet Robert Burns,
Robert the Bruce birthplace,
Scotland's best racecourse and
Somerset Park a world heritage site.

Think you need to pick a town. 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Oh it’s not a town anymore? What is it then as I genuinely don’t know? A village? A village with a population of 85,000. 

It's the same thing as Govan and Partick: former towns that have since been absorbed into the City of Glasgow. 

I assume from your username that you reside in the vicinity of the industrial wasteland that is known as Inverclyde. And I will also assume that your gripe towards the TOWN of Paisley stems from the rivalry between your football team and that of St Mirren. As I said in the quoted post, Paisley possesses buildings that an entity like UNESCO deem worthy of acknowledgment. Somehow I don’t think they bothered to travel along the M8 to see such wonders as Port Glasgow or the scheme flats in Greenock. 

We were too busy kick-starting the Industrial Revolution and trading with the world to bother about some stupid religious buildings champ.

Greenock's West end: tiers of salubrious villas each blessed with the breathtaking, fjord scenery of the Clyde Riviera. Attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. 

Paisley's West End: the hive of junkies that is Feegie Park; blessed with views of, erm, the city airport that confirms your status as a failed town. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

No, a suburb (in denial).

The fact that it's run by a separate council area is completely irrelevant, cf. Rutherglen.

I don’t think I agree with that, and I’ve never heard anyone equate somewhere like Rutherglen to Paisley. 

The Renfrewshire council area goes from Ralston on the border of Glasgow, to Beith in North Ayrshire. I don’t think you would ever find someone from Johnstone or Howwood saying that they live in a suburb of Glasgow. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's the same thing as Govan and Partick: former towns that have since been absorbed into the City of Glasgow. 

We were too busy kick-starting the Industrial Revolution and trading with the world to bother about some stupid religious buildings champ.

Greenock's West end: tiers of salubrious villas each blessed with the breathtaking, fjord scenery of the Clyde Riviera. Attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. 

Paisley's West End: the hive of junkies that is Feegie Park; blessed with views of, erm, the city airport that confirms your status as a failed town. 

I can’t argue; there is parts of Paisley that are not very appealing to the eye, and undoubtedly some of the residents will be heroin addicts. But as is the same with any vast expanse of suburban land, that is offset by the 7 figure Victorian townhouses that surround our ROYAL Alexandra Hospital (Yes, you read that correctly, Royal). I like to compare Paisley to somewhere like Los Angeles. Yes, you’ve got Skid Row, Compton, Crenshaw etc., and everyone knows the sort of people who live there and do their best to stay away. But on the other hand you’ve got the Hollywood Hills, Venice Beach, Palm Springs etc. It’s very similar to Paisley in many ways, and if you could look past your footballing rivalry, you might find yourself saying ‘Wait a minute, Paisley is actually OK’. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I can’t argue; there is parts of Paisley that are not very appealing to the eye, and undoubtedly some of the residents will be heroin addicts. But as is the same with any vast expanse of suburban land, that is offset by the 7 figure Victorian townhouses that surround our ROYAL Alexandra Hospital (Yes, you read that correctly, Royal). I like to compare Paisley to somewhere like Los Angeles. Yes, you’ve got Skid Row, Compton, Crenshaw etc., and everyone knows the sort of people who live there and do their best to stay away. But on the other hand you’ve got the Hollywood Hills, Venice Beach, Palm Springs etc. It’s very similar to Paisley in many ways, and if you could look past your footballing rivalry, you might find yourself saying ‘Wait a minute, Paisley is actually OK’. 

^^^ fooling absolutely no-one

27 minutes ago, ftk said:

International Airport,
3 open golf courses,

We could have just made Scotland a city too while we were at it.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Easy to imagine this on the edge of it right enough.

preview.thumb.jpeg.e5487b53b7d2f8901639a17b3b425906.jpeg

Well it would be, if the terrain around Linwood had anything like that sort of landscape beside it. I’ve attempted to have a civil conversation around the merits of the town of Paisley (the largest urban settlement in Scotland without city status) but you’re just coming off stupid posting pictures like that. I will content myself with my international airport (with direct flights to Dubai on Emirates flagship A380), World renowned University, an Abbey so intricate that it would have the guys who built the Pyramids scratching their chins and a football team that have retained top flight status for a good few years in a row. 

28 minutes ago, ftk said:

International Airport,
3 open golf courses,

You forgot to mention Elvis, I am also dubious about one of your other claims........

But I suppose it is a good Racecourse.

22 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t think I agree with that, and I’ve never heard anyone equate somewhere like Rutherglen to Paisley. 

The Renfrewshire council area goes from Ralston on the border of Glasgow, to Beith in North Ayrshire. I don’t think you would ever find someone from Johnstone or Howwood saying that they live in a suburb of Glasgow. 

That's because Johnstone and Howwood aren't suburbs of Glasgow the way Paisley is. It's similar to Bearsden being a suburb of Glasgow despite being in East Dunbartonshire, while Lennoxtown, also in East Dunbartonshire, obviously isn't.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's because Johnstone and Howwood aren't suburbs of Glasgow the way Paisley is. It's similar to Bearsden being a suburb of Glasgow despite being in East Dunbartonshire, while Lennoxtown, also in East Dunbartonshire, obviously isn't.

I’ve genuinely never heard of Paisley being described as a suburb of Glasgow in a serious fashion in my life. Maybe heard it said in jest a few times but not seriously. 

Even with regards to size, Paisley isn’t comparable to any of the places you mention. Paisley has its own council headquarters, a town centre that is probably the size of Bearsden and Lennoxtown put together, it is made up of many separate and identifiable areas that make up the town in a way that all the places you mention don’t. Ferguslie, Foxbar, Gallowhill, Shortroods, Seedhill, Glenburn; every one of those areas has a higher population than Lennoxtown. Places like Barrhead, Ralston, Bearsden I can agree are suburbs of Glasgow. A place with the population and infrastructure of Paisley can’t be classed as a suburb when there is clear and identifiable boundaries between itself and Glasgow, and I’m sure anyone who actually stays in the area would say the same. 

21 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well it would be, if the terrain around Linwood had anything like that sort of landscape beside it. I’ve attempted to have a civil conversation around the merits of the town of Paisley (the largest urban settlement in Scotland without city status) but you’re just coming off stupid posting pictures like that. 

It was indeed a stupid image.  Howwood would have been a far better choice.