Jump to content

New City in Scotland


New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
I still think we should've built a new megacity, rather than just stick city on or of the existing coups.

I think it should be like New New York in Futurama. Just concrete over Aberdeen and build a new city on top of it.

They did that in Judge Dredd. Mega City One was built on top of the old city. Underneath was the Undercity, a shadowy ruin where strange half blind cannibalistic mutants lived. 

 

Coatbridge basically. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

When Inverness became a city, as far as I remember, all that changed was that the cost of staying in hotels went up.  I mean, seriously, who the Hell pays good money to stay in Dunfermline, let alone have to pay even more to do it? 🤔

Presumably no one. That’s why Inverness, despite it only having a population of 65-70k is a great shout for a city. It’s a transport hub for the north and beyond, with flights to places like Dublin, Belfast, Heathrow and Amsterdam, has a massive tourist industry, and is home to massive shaggers.

Dunfermline and Stirling are just generic, run of the mill Scottish towns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dunfermline and Stirling are just generic, run of the mill Scottish towns.

Both have distinctive and historically important pre-industrial historic quarters that the likes of nearby towns such as Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, Alloa, Falkirk etc come absolutely nowhere near matching.

That whole section of Dunfermline comprising the the abbey, royal palace, Pittencrieff Park, Abbot House & the Carnegie Birthplace Museum is actually a very decent yet overlooked touristy day out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Dunfermline will get a direct train link to Glasgow now?

If there’s one change we’ll see after achieving city status, I hope it’s this. I don’t see how it’s so difficult to have a direct rail link from Dunfermline to Glasgow via Alloa/Stirling.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2022 at 20:11, BFTD said:

Stirling's not a city either, and it's one of my favourite places in Scotland. Had to lasso the population of the surrounding villages across to the Trossachs to appear more impressive.

Something that I can't help but notice any time I'm in Stirling is the unusually high proportion of stereotypical neds in the town city centre, which by my reckoning is significantly higher than any other comparable settlement outhwith Strathclyde or West Lothian. Absolutely no surprise that the town is full of OF fans who have never (and will never) set foot in Forthbank/Annfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure it’s Stirling where the local goths hang about an area where an Argos is and they are nicknamed the Argoths.

Deserves its city status for that incredible piece of patter alone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Something that I can't help but notice any time I'm in Stirling is the unusually high proportion of stereotypical neds in the town city centre, which by my reckoning is significantly higher than any other comparable settlement outhwith Strathclyde or West Lothian. Absolutely no surprise that the town is full of OF fans who have never (and will never) set foot in Forthbank/Annfield.

Or Ibrox/Parkhead for that matter…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really should have been Paisley, and it makes a mockery of the whole decision process that somewhere like Dunfermline was chosen. As far as I’m aware Dunfermline doesn’t have an internationally recognised airport where people like Lionel Messi and Barack Obama have chosen to fly in to. It also boasts an expansive University complex, an educational home to students from places like Spain and even France, as well as natives from places such as Linwood and Dumbarton. 
 

Another thing that Dunfermline definitely doesn’t have either is Paisley Abbey, an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 7th century, a building that the people from the UNESCO World Heritage Society once said ‘doesn’t come close to qualifying as one of the wonders of the world’, although they did admit the building was structurally sound. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Thank goodness the Dumfries bid flopped. Led by the biggest bunch of chancers and self-servers outwith Westminster.

Dumfries 'City' Bid:

stoneybridge-900102fb-db65-44c2-958b-55b4a6278cb-resize-750.jpeg.81c8904b9f7e12aac5a7f471847e2859.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2022 at 19:53, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Nothing against Dunfermline, it's a nice place, but it's not a city. City status is an important economical and geographical function, just chucking it about to places who said they loved the Queen the most, including *checks notes* a fucking rock in the South Atlantic populated by penguins.

Stupid country.

How else was Margaret supposed to stick one up Johnny Foreigner to get the seething right wing masses on board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It really should have been Paisley, and it makes a mockery of the whole decision process that somewhere like Dunfermline was chosen. As far as I’m aware Dunfermline doesn’t have an internationally recognised airport where people like Lionel Messi and Barack Obama have chosen to fly in to. It also boasts an expansive University complex, an educational home to students from places like Spain and even France, as well as natives from places such as Linwood and Dumbarton. 
 

Another thing that Dunfermline definitely doesn’t have either is Paisley Abbey, an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 7th century, a building that the people from the UNESCO World Heritage Society once said ‘doesn’t come close to qualifying as one of the wonders of the world’, although they did admit the building was structurally sound. 
 

 

Paisley isn't even a town any more so your bid is as pointless as 'South Ayrshire's' nick of an effort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It really should have been Paisley, and it makes a mockery of the whole decision process that somewhere like Dunfermline was chosen. As far as I’m aware Dunfermline doesn’t have an internationally recognised airport where people like Lionel Messi and Barack Obama have chosen to fly in to. It also boasts an expansive University complex, an educational home to students from places like Spain and even France, as well as natives from places such as Linwood and Dumbarton. 
 

Another thing that Dunfermline definitely doesn’t have either is Paisley Abbey, an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 7th century, a building that the people from the UNESCO World Heritage Society once said ‘doesn’t come close to qualifying as one of the wonders of the world’, although they did admit the building was structurally sound. 

I'm still trying to suss out whether this was written tongue in cheek (seeing as sarcasm doesn't carry well in text)?

The highlighted bits in particular have me falling on the piss-take side of the fence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...