New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sorry I’d forgotten about you

which concedes your point but underlines a weakness in your case

Carlisle is of course the biggest city in England (by area) I assume that if you win you’ll include large swathes of empty Dumfriesshire countryside so that you can claim to bigger still

There was actually this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-57901216

An idea mental enough to make this South Ayrshire bid look eminently sensible.

The South Ayrshire bid is just really weird, unless the fuckwits at the council have misunderstood the "The competition is open to all local authorities in the United Kingdom, who are invited to submit applications on behalf of their area" bit?

There was actually this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-57901216
An idea mental enough to make this South Ayrshire bid look eminently sensible.

The more I read this thread the more I think Edinburgh city council missed a trick by not applying n behalf of Leith

The “city within a city” concept would be some way down the list of stupidest ideas

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The more I read this thread the more I think Edinburgh city council missed a trick by not applying n behalf of Leith

The “city within a city” concept would be some way down the list of stupidest ideas

Can a "People's Republic" apply for city status ?? 

Edited by hearthammer

Stand firmly by @G51's concept of the barriers of Glasgow there, and pretty much anyone I know outside of Glasgow aho I've discussed it with would say the same. The distinction only seems to matter for folk from the area who think they get some special cultural cache by arguing 'actually I'm from East Kilbride". I went through East Kilbride last weekend and there is 0 geographically to differentiate it from Glasgow. My only tweak would be Glasgow going up to Loch and Ben Lomond, as it's always full of Glaswegians anyway.

@NotThePars Manchester squares the silly circle of what is and isn't by acknowledging greater Manchester. So the denizens of Stockport, Oldham etc can retain their misplaced civic pride in their wee towns while acknowledging that rightfully they have been subsumed by the city. See also the more esoterically named Merseyside and West Midlands. Centralise centralise centralise

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I went through East Kilbride last weekend and there is 0 geographically to differentiate it from Glasgow.

You could maybe argue this for the likes of Bearsden (it to Glasgow is like Dyce/Bucksburn to Aberdeen, albeit on a larger scale), but not for East Kilbride which is completely surrounded by the same distance of countryside that separates Glenrothes from Kirkcaldy.

Eta: would be interesting to see how folk feel about Invergowrie (P&K), Monifieth (Angus) and Broughty Ferry all being lumped in as 'Dundee' seeing as they're now separated from their adjacent places by nothing other than roads.  @invergowrie arab @Granny Danger

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

You could maybe argue this for the likes of Bearsden (it to Glasgow is like Dyce/Bucksburn to Aberdeen, albeit on a larger scale), but not for East Kilbride which is completely surrounded by the same distance of countryside that separates Glenrothes from Kirkcaldy.

Eta: would be interesting to see how folk feel about Invergowrie (P&K), Monifieth (Angus) and Broughty Ferry all being lumped in as 'Dundee' seeing as they're now separated from their adjacent places by nothing other than roads.  @invergowrie arab @Granny Danger

Invergowrie still feels very separate. Being in P&K and having different coloured wheelie bins probably helps with this.

The Invergowrie burn has been a border for over 1500 years as it used to be the border between the Pictish kindoms of Fotla and Circinn before being the border between Gowrie and Angus and then Perthshire and Dundee.

Invergowrie's detachment is within living memory. The new housing estates that basically join it to Dundee went up in the 80s and 90s. I would say though I'm probably the last generation that gives a shit about any of this as incomers now outnumber folk of the village.

There is a distinction used where of you were raised all your days in the village but your parents are incomers then you are from the village but if you are an Invergowrie family you are of the village.

I have pals knocking on 40 who have never lived anywhere else who you would still say "he isn't of the village".

All that said if you live here your school, football team and accent are all Dundonian - nobody would ever consider supporting St Johnstone - so it's the best of both worlds. 

Probably like one of these Alpine town that are in Italy but speak German. They will have dual loyalties.

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

@NotThePars Manchester squares the silly circle of what is and isn't by acknowledging greater Manchester. So the denizens of Stockport, Oldham etc can retain their misplaced civic pride in their wee towns while acknowledging that rightfully they have been subsumed by the city. See also the more esoterically named Merseyside and West Midlands. Centralise centralise centralise

The regionalism down here and how it manifests is pretty funny. Yorkshire is by far the wildest with it being quite viciously divided into North, East, South and West and then everyone in West Yorkshire hating everyone else within West Yorkshire as well. 

Manchester probably does it best but I think that (as you call it) misplaced civic pride means artists and residents consider themselves more proud of their wee tinpot town than they do as Mancunians. The opposite of the so-called Weegiefication of Scottish culture up here. I also find modern Manchester artists don't make a thing of it the way Glaswegian artists do whether it's Lewis Capaldi or Limmy.

I alluded to it but I met someone a fortnight ago who told me they were from Glasgow and when I asked where responded with Greenock. You ask someone from Stockport where they're from and they'll say Stockport. Same with Bury, Oldham and even Altrincham.

ETA: I should add that not everyone does the above obvs. Have met people who are bizarrely proud of being from East Kilbride for example.

Edited by NotThePars

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Scottish urge to just put places together for no real reason.

Look at the way the Sneck has cannibalised the places in its immediate vicinity though. Imagine trying to tell someone you were from Culloden these days. That’s basically the same as the relationship between Glasgow and Paisley/EK/Greenock.

23 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think the people of Fife have taken enough of a slagging for being parochial mutants and they deserve something for that. On that basis you have St. Andrews and Dunfermline and we should be acknowledging the ancient capital and, I hope, Yes voting town over the dumping ground for failed aristocrats who couldn’t get into Oxbridge.

As someone who went to St Andrews I can confirm this. It was full of horribly inbred minor Euro aristos who would have VW Golfs and live in rented castles and farmhouses. I loved it though. It’s a pretty swish place these days.