New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

This chat about airports reminds me of when some Ross County fan tried to claim they had an advantage when signing players over Falkirk because of their proximity to Inverness Airport.

Nothing to do with their managers being able to write blank cheques a lot of the time.

According to my mate who used to be a convener on Edinburgh City council the one practical upshot of this is the "Scottish Cities Alliance" which involved the people running Edinburgh meeting up with the people running Glasgow, Aberdeen & Dundee to discuss cooperation, share best practice and so forth. It was apparently quite a worthwhile exercise but became a bit of a tedious grind once the people from Stirling, Perth and Inverness turned up.

19 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

According to my mate who used to be a convener on Edinburgh City council the one practical upshot of this is the "Scottish Cities Alliance" which involved the people running Edinburgh meeting up with the people running Glasgow, Aberdeen & Dundee to discuss cooperation, share best practice and so forth. It was apparently quite a worthwhile exercise but became a bit of a tedious grind once the people from Stirling, Perth and Inverness turned up.

Probably how the SPL board felt too.

(apart from Stirling, obviously)

On 24/09/2021 at 17:04, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

A new city should be built that dwarfs both Edinburgh and Glasgow. It should be built on the east coast and have a harbour port that has direct access to Europe. It should be built between Falkirk and Stirling with both these places becoming part of the new city. It should be a proper city with skyscrapers and all that stuff. The population should be made up mainly of immigrants.A mega city with 10,000,000 new inhabitants coming to Scotland. 

If that's a choice I'll take that. 

1) It's not a choice, apologies.

2) The location you've suggested isn't really on the east coast; it's pretty inland. And the unfortunate denizens of this new metropolis would live above the remnants of Grangemouth, Larbert, Airth, Camelon, etc. God help them. These places are inhabited by subhuman monsters.

31 minutes ago, milton75 said:

1) It's not a choice, apologies.

2) The location you've suggested isn't really on the east coast; it's pretty inland. And the unfortunate denizens of this new metropolis would live above the remnants of Grangemouth, Larbert, Airth, Camelon, etc. God help them. These places are inhabited by subhuman monsters.

In the Judge Dredd strip Mega City 1 was built above the ruins of the old polluted cities like New York. The inhabitants of the "Undercity" are weird mutated beings who couldn't adjust to modern life.

Any similarity to the scenario above is purely coincidental...

Edited by tamthebam

A newly built utopian city should be walled off, with any resident convicted of a crime being banished to the 'dark place' outwith the walls forever.  This includes wearing Old Firm shirts in public, and orange walks shall not be tolerated. The cultural scene will be amongst the best in the UK, but no tourists will be granted access through the gates to avoid an Edinburgh Festival type affair (performers shall be admitted by permit application only, and Janey Godley's will be rejected).

Eta: for avoidance of doubt, there will be freedom of movement for residents.  Similar to an RAF base, but much classier.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A newly built utopian city should be walled off, with any resident convicted of a crime being banished to the 'dark place' outwith the walls forever.  This includes wearing Old Firm shirts in public, and orange walks shall not be tolerated. The cultural scene will be amongst the best in the UK, but no tourists will be granted access through the gates to avoid an Edinburgh Festival type affair (performers shall be admitted by permit application only, and Janey Godley's will be rejected).

In 2021, the crime rate in Scotland rises four hundred percent. The once great city of Glasgow becomes the one maximum security prison for the entire country. A fifty-foot containment wall is erected along the M73/74, the A725/726, and down along the Clyde shoreline. It completely surrounds Greater Glasgow. All bridges and waterways are mined. Police Scotland, like an army, is encamped around the island. There are no guards inside the prison, only prisoners and the worlds they have made. The rules are simple: once you go in, you don't come out.

18 minutes ago, Gaz said:

In 2021, the crime rate in Scotland rises four hundred percent. The once great city of Glasgow becomes the one maximum security prison for the entire country. A fifty-foot containment wall is erected along the M73/74, the A725/726, and down along the Clyde shoreline. It completely surrounds Greater Glasgow. All bridges and waterways are mined. Police Scotland, like an army, is encamped around the island. There are no guards inside the prison, only prisoners and the worlds they have made. The rules are simple: once you go in, you don't come out.

"Escape from Greenock" starring Kurt Russell as Snake McKinnon

Of the options available I've chosen Ayr. It shouldn't be a city either but I suppose it has some nice bits.

Most of the options are ghastly hellholes. I guess Hamilton is the next least worst option, but like Paisley it's basically part of the Glasgow conurb, so not really suitable. 

On 24/09/2021 at 17:04, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

A new city should be built that dwarfs both Edinburgh and Glasgow. It should be built on the east coast and have a harbour port that has direct access to Europe. It should be built between Falkirk and Stirling with both these places becoming part of the new city. It should be a proper city with skyscrapers and all that stuff. The population should be made up mainly of immigrants.A mega city with 10,000,000 new inhabitants coming to Scotland. 

If that's a choice I'll take that. 

A Mega City, you say?  Can I put myself forward for law enforcement?

12 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Of the options available I've chosen Ayr. It shouldn't be a city either but I suppose it has some nice bits.

Most of the options are ghastly hellholes. I guess Hamilton is the next least worst option, but like Paisley it's basically part of the Glasgow conurb, so not really suitable. 

Just tell Her Majesty thanks but no thanks. They are all coups, best forgotten and left to return to nature like Chernobyl.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Did Wales not have to promote some village last time as they had run out of towns?

St Asaph won in 2012, pop 3555, bigger than the smallest City, St David at 1,100. Size isn't everything. Wrexham were furious, having lost out to Inverness as well.