New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anything else missing from below?

The Recurring Geographical Debates of P&B

• Paisley is a suburb of Glasgow
  • Greenock is on the West Coast
  • Is Aberdeen is in the Highlands?
  • Where is Glasgow City Centre?
  • Is Ayr / Perth / Dundee / Fife / Stirling in the "Central Belt"?
  • Endless Variations on “Is shit town X more or less shit than shit town Y?”
Edited by Hedgecutter

Endless Variations on “Is shit town X more or less shit than shit town Y?”

Dunfermline’s recent promotion means they will be playing against Stirling instead of Kirkcaldy

On 25/05/2022 at 17:19, Hedgecutter said:

At risk of stoking the fires of this particular debate, how on earth could anyone think Aberdeen was in the Highlands? Other than lazily saying anything north of X is Highland

The first two are objectively correct, however.

Just now, RawB93 said:

At risk of stoking the fires of this particular debate, how on earth could anyone think Aberdeen was in the Highlands?

Some people on here see the name 'Highland Boundary Fault' in a very, very literal sense.

On 25/05/2022 at 17:19, Hedgecutter said:

Is Ayr / Perth / Dundee / Fife / Stirling in the "Central Belt"

On 22/05/2022 at 18:59, Aim Here said:

If you want to quibble, Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow, in that Glasgow, like a lot of cities, has outgrown it's original boundaries, and becomes a sprawling conurbation, prefixed by 'Greater'. Just as Pimlico and Hackney aren't part of the City of London, but are definitely part of Greater London (and anyone from Greater London would be conventionally referred to as a Londoner - the city of London boundaries only house a few thousand people), Paisley is, unequivocally, and officially part of the locality of Greater Glasgow, like Bearsden and Bellshill.

I sort of checked out this thread last week but came back to see this post getting lauded as some sort of authority on the matter. To use Pimlico and Hackney as examples of ‘Greater London’ is just ludicrous. I’ve spent a lot of time in London over the years and heard the term Greater London used to describe places like Reading or Gillingham…Pimlicos tube station sits in Zone 1 for Christ sake :lol: Its as ‘London’ as Oxford Street or Leicester Square. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I sort of checked out this thread last week but came back to see this post getting lauded as some sort of authority on the matter. To use Pimlico and Hackney as examples of ‘Greater London’ is just ludicrous. I’ve spent a lot of time in London over the years and heard the term Greater London used to describe places like Reading or Gillingham…Pimlicos tube station sits in Zone 1 for Christ sake :lol: Its as ‘London’ as Oxford Street or Leicester Square. 

Not always.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

True because Oxford Street and Leicester Square are in the city of Westminster as well.

“Greater London” tends to mean the 32 boroughs covered by the “Greater London Authority” so not as far out as Gillingham or Reading

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

If outlying towns Reading and Gillingham are part of Greater London, that makes you MORE likely to be a weegie, not less, surely.

But anyways, they aren't. The bits of Greater London that aren't in inner London are places like Twickenham, Wembley, Sidcup or Croydon, that everyone and their nan knows is part of London. If you're going to tell people that Wembley Stadium isn't in London, everyone in the country will laugh in your face.

Just like with Paisley and Greater Glasgow.

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If outlying towns Reading and Gillingham are part of Greater London, that makes you MORE likely to be a weegie, not less, surely.

But anyways, they aren't. The bits of Greater London that aren't in inner London are places like Twickenham, Wembley, Sidcup or Croydon, that everyone and their nan knows is part of London. If you're going to tell people that Wembley Stadium isn't in London, everyone in the country will laugh in your face.

Just like with Paisley and Greater Glasgow.

I would say any place that falls under the control of a London Borough would be classed as ‘London’. I understand what I’m saying would make a place like Paisley a part of Greater Glasgow if I’m classing somewhere like Reading as Greater London, but would you expect someone from Reading to claim they were from London when they live in a separate council area etc. 

17 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I would say any place that falls under the control of a London Borough would be classed as ‘London’. I understand what I’m saying would make a place like Paisley a part of Greater Glasgow if I’m classing somewhere like Reading as Greater London, but would you expect someone from Reading to claim they were from London when they live in a separate council area etc. 

I'm sure you'd also include the square mile 'City of London' area as part of London, despite it not being governed by a borough. In which case, your definition of London matches perfectly "Greater London" as defined by the UK government. And if you accept that 'London is Greater London' then we'll happily concur and extend that to point out that Glasgow is also 'Greater Glasgow'.

The only person claiming Reading has anything to do with London is you. Reading is very much 'Not part of London', and 'not part of Greater London' and 'not much of anything to do with London', the same way that Ayr is very much 'not part of Glasgow'. 

Unfortunately for you, Paisley isn't analagous to Reading. Paisley is outside Glasgow City but inside Greater Glasgow. It's like Harrow or Dagenham - a once outlying settlement that has been absorbed by a metropolis and is now clearly part of the greater metropolitan area. Maybe the Green Belt will be disbanded and London will expand to include Reading, but until that time, your analogy fails (and when your analogy succeeds, it'll go the other way!)

Edited by Aim Here

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

I'm sure you'd also include the square mile 'City of London' area as part of London, despite it not being governed by a borough. In which case, your definition of London matches perfectly "Greater London" as defined by the UK government. And if you accept that 'London is Greater London' then we'll happily concur and extend that to point out that Glasgow is also 'Greater Glasgow'.

The only person claiming Reading has anything to do with London is you. Reading is very much 'Not part of London', and 'not part of Greater London' and 'not much of anything to do with London', the same way that Ayr is very much 'not part of Glasgow'. 

Unfortunately for you, Paisley isn't analagous to Reading. Paisley is outside Glasgow City but inside Greater Glasgow. It's like Harrow or Dagenham - an outlying city that has been absorbed by a metropolis and is now clearly part of the greater metropolitan area. Maybe the Green Belt will be disbanded and London will expand to include Reading, but until that time, your analogy fails (and when your analogy succeeds, it'll go the other way!)

Well I did say earlier in the thread that the ‘City of London’ is an outlier. It’s also not the centre of London either, more a rogue state created to bypass UK tax laws. 

I only mentioned Reading due it’s location outside of the London boundary, still connected as an urban settlement but with its own definitive borders, separate council jurisdiction, town centre etc.   

The term ‘Greater Glasgow’ isn’t used in any sort of official capacity. There isn’t a ‘Greater Glasgow’ council or anything like it, and nobody from the area that you describe as ‘Greater Glasgow’ would ever use it to describe where they are from. Why would someone have an issue with a person from a place like Paisley, a historical town that came into existence nearly 1000 years ago, saying they are from Paisley and not Glasgow? 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

A few years back, there was a discussion around how far it extended, with some absolute fucking morons suggesting that the city centre extended south of the river.

Wild.

The M8 to the west and north, High Street to the east and the River Clyde to the south is the only acceptable boundary.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well I did say earlier in the thread that the ‘City of London’ is an outlier. It’s also not the centre of London either, more a rogue state created to bypass UK tax laws. 

I only mentioned Reading due it’s location outside of the London boundary, still connected as an urban settlement but with its own definitive borders, separate council jurisdiction, town centre etc.   

The term ‘Greater Glasgow’ isn’t used in any sort of official capacity. There isn’t a ‘Greater Glasgow’ council or anything like it, and nobody from the area that you describe as ‘Greater Glasgow’ would ever use it to describe where they are from. Why would someone have an issue with a person from a place like Paisley, a historical town that came into existence nearly 1000 years ago, saying they are from Paisley and not Glasgow? 

Apart from NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde of course.