New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It was a devastating blow when the Pars went down. I'm sure the city thing will soften the blow considerably. 

🤔

Devastating in that who else are Sevco going to find to lie down for them and take a humping when needed?

Just now, Newbornbairn said:

Devastating in that who else are Sevco going to find to lie down for them and take a humping when needed?

Dearie me.  In the case if Dunfermline, I'd be more interested in Dunfermline more often sh!tting the bed against Raith, rather than anyone else!

32 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It was a devastating blow when the Pars went down. I'm sure the city thing will soften the blow considerably. 

🤔

It's not going to be as devastating as when Dunfermline Athletic went into administration in 2013. Luckily Pars fans are a resilient bunch who care about their football club so they  got off their collective arse and did something

They got through that, they'll get through this.

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Similarly it would be silly expecting people from further afield to know that Loanhead is just over the county line which is why it’s called “IKEA Edinburgh”

Unlike Glasgow Edinburgh’s bypass doesn’t run through the middle of the city so it can serve as a physical and psychological border even though it doesn’t coincide with the administrative one so to people from the city Loanhead is definitely outside

I believe that Dundonians have a Dobbies garden centre that does something similar

Edinburgh's southern border used to be the Jordan burn (now mostly culverted although you can see a wee bit of it near Cameron Toll) I suppose we started annexing places like Liberton in the late 19th Century.

I always think of places like Danderhall and Mayfield as separate but they seem to be lumped in with Greater Dalkeith

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's not going to be as devastating as when Dunfermline Athletic went into administration in 2013. Luckily Pars fans are a resilient bunch who care about their football club so they  got off their collective arse and did something

They got through that, they'll get through this.

0p to the pound being accepted meant they didn't  need to do much fundraising.

Edinburgh's southern border used to be the Jordan burn (now mostly culverted although you can see a wee bit of it near Cameron Toll) I suppose we started annexing places like Liberton in the late 19th Century.
I always think of places like Danderhall and Mayfield as separate but they seem to be lumped in with Greater Dalkeith

The burns at Cameron Toll are marked pow burn and Braid Burn

Have I missed something?

The Pow is another name for the Jordan burn.
Powburn, near West Savile* Terrace was an early Edinburgh football ground

*Not that one....
It was the Edinburgh FA's ground so local cup finals were played there and in the days before a national league, local cup finals were a big deal.

For a few years Hearts move their big games to Powburn before they settled in Gorgie. St Bernards operated out of Powburn for a while as well before relocating to Stockbridge. 

Chances are there were other Edinburgh sides at the dawn that based themselves there as well. 
Obviously as far as you’re concerned real Edinburgh football history starts in 1928 so this is like the Jurassic period

On 20/05/2022 at 20:26, BFTD said:

Stirling was the nearest town to the wee village in the Trossachs that most of my mum's family grew up in. I spent a lot of time there as a wean, and loved the place. Still do, if I'm honest. I've no idea what dirty outsiders would make of it, although everyone seems to think it's a very pretty place, and there's plenty to explore for people who like history. Also, incredibly, still the home of the infamous Fubar, and they tell me it's still a good town to get utterly stocious in.

Obviously not a patch on Alloa, but what can you do.

Aberfoyle?

I went to the butcher there recently. Got some nice beef. True story.

On 22/05/2022 at 23:58, Archie McSquackle said:
On 22/05/2022 at 18:59, Aim Here said:
If you want to quibble, Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow, in that Glasgow, like a lot of cities, has outgrown it's original boundaries, and becomes a sprawling conurbation, prefixed by 'Greater'. Just as Pimlico and Hackney aren't part of the City of London, but are definitely part of Greater London (and anyone from Greater London would be conventionally referred to as a Londoner - the city of London boundaries only house a few thousand people), Paisley is, unequivocally, and officially part of the locality of Greater Glasgow, like Bearsden and Bellshill.
Here's an official document by the Scottish National Records Office, mirroring the General Registry of Scotland and it's definition of the Greater Glasgow locality, which very much includes Paisley. There's more precise documents and ESRI shapefiles, if you're a borderline case, but it's pretty clear that the bulk of Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow.
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/settlements-localities/set-loc-16/settlements-localities-background-info.pdf
I'm sorry you have to hear about it this way, but unfortunately, Scotland has officially marked you down as a weegie.
Hope this helps.

Bearsden yes, Paisley maybe but I wouldn't see Bellshill as part of Greater Glasgow. Properly in deepest Lanarkshire with non-built up areas in between.

Exactly what non-built-up areas between Glasgow and Paisley? There's a few fields beside the motorway and railway line, and a couple of golf courses, but otherwise it's city sprawl as far as I can see.

image.png.1e8e1092aac303ed1feaae41bf3d91b8.png

1 minute ago, milton75 said:

Aberfoyle?

I went to the butcher there recently. Got some nice beef. True story.

Aye, and Gartmore. They're all deid now. Last time I was over that way it was just...grim, knowing all my ties to that area are gone. Can't even bring myself to post a Kenneth with regard to you receiving some juicy beef over the counter. Sad.

Exactly what non-built-up areas between Glasgow and Paisley? There's a few fields beside the motorway and railway line, and a couple of golf courses, but otherwise it's city sprawl as far as I can see.

You do realise my post was mainly about Bellshill? I couldn't care less about Paisley and certainly can't be arsed arguing about it.

28 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, milton75 said:

You do realise my post was mainly about Bellshill? I couldn't care less about Paisley and certainly can't be arsed arguing about it.

Bellshill also appears to merge seamlessly into Uddingston which merges seamlessly into Baillieston. Even if there is a genuinely significant difference between the three it's not going to be obvious to the outsider which if any are actual Glasgow 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
3 hours ago, milton75 said:

Ah, fair enough. But...

39 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Bellshill also appears to merge seamlessly into Uddingston which merges seamlessly into Baillieston. Even if there is a genuinely significant difference between the three it's not going to be obvious to the outsider which if any are actual Glasgow 

...what he said. It's really only big motorway junctions that separate Bellshill from Coatbridge and Uddingston from Tannochside and Then Broomhouse. Even East Kilbride seems to now only have a tiny bit of countryside between it and Blantyre/Hamilton, and I'm sure that wasn't the case when I were a lad.

I don't really care for so much sprawl on greenfield sites. Loads of the building in the last 50 years could have involved cleaning up brownfield. There's still plenty of that.

32 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Even East Kilbride seems to now only have a tiny bit of countryside between it and Blantyre/Hamilton, and I'm sure that wasn't the case when I were a lad.

Aye, it's changed a wee bit...

image.thumb.png.b2a90dc6e51bbbda789dbbda3e715e7a.png

image.thumb.png.c8f08add4e7902e8f64a5eb1eaecbf13.png

Kind of forget that 1% of it isn't dual carriageways, roundabouts or some other form of concrete:

image.thumb.png.874a9678af4bf8d2da3ac2c79fbd6fe5.png

Edited by Hedgecutter