New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Au contraire, this is very much about folk from Paisley hating being called Weegies and attempting to dodge that bullet.  Of course they're going to live in blissful ignorance.
My grandfather was from Bridgeton (then part of Lanarkshire) and until he died recently he would still talk about the place as if it held some special status separate to Glasgow (which anyone not from there would know to be psychotic behaviour), much like many other places in that neck of the woods.   The whole Paisley thing is just a further extension of that same mindset.
If you want to quibble, Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow, in that Glasgow, like a lot of cities, has outgrown it's original boundaries, and becomes a sprawling conurbation, prefixed by 'Greater'. Just as Pimlico and Hackney aren't part of the City of London, but are definitely part of Greater London (and anyone from Greater London would be conventionally referred to as a Londoner - the city of London boundaries only house a few thousand people), Paisley is, unequivocally, and officially part of the locality of Greater Glasgow, like Bearsden and Bellshill.
Here's an official document by the Scottish National Records Office, mirroring the General Registry of Scotland and it's definition of the Greater Glasgow locality, which very much includes Paisley. There's more precise documents and ESRI shapefiles, if you're a borderline case, but it's pretty clear that the bulk of Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow.
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/settlements-localities/set-loc-16/settlements-localities-background-info.pdf
I'm sorry you have to hear about it this way, but unfortunately, Scotland has officially marked you down as a weegie.
Hope this helps.
I've said it before, I'll say it again (worth repeating imo).

Paisley is part of Glasgow in exactly the same way as Scotland is part of England.
There we go, I'm officially an English Weegie.

20 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Halbeath used to be it's own entity, now firmly encompassesed by Dunfermline, to anyone not from the city they'd probably class Crossford as part of Dunfermline. 

You could probably extend that assumed boundary even further. I’d  imagine that people from Cairneyhill all the way through to culross, when asked by someone not from Dunfermline, would say that they are from Dunfermline.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Do people born and raised in Livingston walk about telling people they are from Edinburgh? 

They had to steal a.football club from elsewhere despite having an established one already so they can f**k off

56 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

You could probably extend that assumed boundary even further. I’d  imagine that people from Cairneyhill all the way through to culross, when asked by someone not from Dunfermline, would say that they are from Dunfermline.

Cairneyhill-Just-Outside-of-Dunfermline is a bit long winded, and just saying Cairneyhill is a bit of a dick move if the person asking doesn't know their West Fife geography basics.  'Dunfermline' alone is far simpler and gives folk a good enough idea.

Strangely enough, this is the opposite problem to Paisley whereby the folk of Cairneyhill will disagree that they're from Dunfermline (due to at least a mile of uninterrupted countryside in every direction around it, just like Crossford), but will agree if somebody says it simply to make life easier and avoid needless pedantry.  It might surprise some of a certain persuasion, but people outwith Glasgow generally don't give a f*** about which specific part of (Greater) Glasgow a Weegie is from.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Cairneyhill-Just-Outside-of-Dunfermline is a bit long winded, and just saying Cairneyhill is a bit of a dick move if the person asking doesn't know their West Fife geography basics.  'Dunfermline' alone is far simpler and gives folk a good enough idea.
Strangely enough, this is the opposite problem to Paisley whereby the folk of Cairneyhill will disagree that they're from Dunfermline (due to at least a mile of uninterrupted countryside in every direction around it, just like Crossford), but will agree if somebody says it simply to make life easier and avoid needless pedantry.  It might surprise some of a certain persuasion, but people outwith Glasgow generally don't give a f*** about which specific part of (Greater) Glasgow a Weegie is from.

Wtf is this pish 🥴

If you want to quibble, Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow, in that Glasgow, like a lot of cities, has outgrown it's original boundaries, and becomes a sprawling conurbation, prefixed by 'Greater'. Just as Pimlico and Hackney aren't part of the City of London, but are definitely part of Greater London (and anyone from Greater London would be conventionally referred to as a Londoner - the city of London boundaries only house a few thousand people), Paisley is, unequivocally, and officially part of the locality of Greater Glasgow, like Bearsden and Bellshill.
Here's an official document by the Scottish National Records Office, mirroring the General Registry of Scotland and it's definition of the Greater Glasgow locality, which very much includes Paisley. There's more precise documents and ESRI shapefiles, if you're a borderline case, but it's pretty clear that the bulk of Paisley is part of Greater Glasgow.
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/settlements-localities/set-loc-16/settlements-localities-background-info.pdf
I'm sorry you have to hear about it this way, but unfortunately, Scotland has officially marked you down as a weegie.
Hope this helps.
Bearsden yes, Paisley maybe but I wouldn't see Bellshill as part of Greater Glasgow. Properly in deepest Lanarkshire with non-built up areas in between.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

There are some interesting conurbations in Fife which still retain their own identities.

Glencraig, Crosshill, Lochore and Ballingry

Dundonald, Cardenden, Bowhill and Auchterderran.

All are still villages in their own right and none have been (allowed) to be defined by any of their neighbours.

Cairneyhill-Just-Outside-of-Dunfermline is a bit long winded, and just saying Cairneyhill is a bit of a dick move if the person asking doesn't know their West Fife geography basics

Similarly it would be silly expecting people from further afield to know that Loanhead is just over the county line which is why it’s called “IKEA Edinburgh”

Unlike Glasgow Edinburgh’s bypass doesn’t run through the middle of the city so it can serve as a physical and psychological border even though it doesn’t coincide with the administrative one so to people from the city Loanhead is definitely outside

I believe that Dundonians have a Dobbies garden centre that does something similar

Just wondering... if Dunfermline doesn't make good use of its City status, can it be relegated back to being a town? 

As a bloke with an interest in the fortunes of the bold Raith Rovers, these issues need to be clarified before a civic ball is kicked. Some fans would probably have preferred their team to avoid relegation than be interested in this city status p!sh. 

Edit... that's right.... "wee team found". 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

18 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Do people that have lived their full life in Stonehaven say their from Aberdeen? Do people born and raised in Livingston walk about telling people they are from Edinburgh? It’s not about disassociating with Glasgow, more just factually stating where you are from. Glasgow is a great city, I visit it for food and drinks regularly and work in it Monday to Friday, but I would never dream of saying I come from Glasgow. 

I don’t know if you are from a different part of the country or not, and thinking places like Paisley or Airdrie just merge in to the outskirts of Glasgow and the people are just wandering around these areas aimlessly, completely unaware wether they are in Glasgow or not. Airdrie especially, it’s about a 20 minute drive from Glasgow. I work with guys from Glasgow in their 40s that could count on one hand the number of times they have been in Paisley. It’s a completely separate town and you would be able to tell once you had left Glasgow and were entering Paisley. 

GTF.  West Lothian = weegie.  It's even populated by weegies.

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

GTF.  West Lothian = weegie.  It's even populated by weegies.

Livingston maybe given it was built as a new town to accomodate Glasgow overspill to a significant extent but the rest of West Lothian is very much east coast in terms of the local lingo used.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

18 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Hope this helps.

image.gif.2c6a561fade4e8a88bdf18a68cfc5b2a.gif