New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's the same thing as Govan and Partick: former towns that have since been absorbed into the City of Glasgow. 

Yep, exactly the same 🤪. Looking forward to flying out of Govan International Airport for my summer holidays this year, maybe enrol into Partick University when I come back. 

You can see one side of Partick from the other, it’s about 6 streets wide. And according to Google, Govan is 1.63 KM squared, Paisley is about 30 times the size of it. Apart from that it’s the same thing though, absorbed into the City of Glasgow while being in a completely different council area. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What a thing to get worked up about.

Apologies for feeling the need to defend my towns status from aggressors. Have you seen what’s been happening in the Donbas? Jeezo. 

The blurred boundaries around Paisley might be getting discussed peacefully at the moment, but the slow encroachment of the Glasgow perimeter towards Paisley, coupled with the flippant views that have been expressed by many people on this very thread, mean I make no apologies for getting ‘worked up about it’. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Paisley is about 30 times the size of it. Apart from that it’s the same thing though, absorbed into the City of Glasgow while being in a completely different council area. 

If it's all about size, what's the cutoff, as there clearly must be one?

Eta: Dyce, well-established as a former stand-alone village now incorporated into Aberdeen, has an airport that was rebranded as Aberdeen International Airport in a similar manner to Paisley's GIA.   Old Aberdeen (formerly independent before going the way of Dyce) has a fully functioning historic cathedral, and is home to a university, yet no-longer claims independence from Aberdeen.  Also, the university in Paisley is just one of four UWoS campuses scattered about, one of which is in Dumfries.

Edited by Hedgecutter

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If it's all about size, what's the cutoff, as there clearly must be one?

Eta: Dyce, well-established as a former stand-alone village now incorporated into Aberdeen, has an airport that was rebranded as Aberdeen International Airport in a similar manner to Paisley's GIA.   Old Aberdeen (formerly independent before going the way of Dyce) has a fully functioning historic cathedral, and of course is home University, yet no-longer claims independence from Aberdeen.  Also, the university in Paisley is just one of four UWoS campuses scattered about, one of which is in Dumfries.

I stayed in Blackburn 7 or 8 years back, and travelled through Dyce regularly. Yes it has an airport but I don’t remember it having much else. Does it have a town centre, with multiple administrative offices, a Police headquarters, two shopping centres, a high street and Town hall? Maybe I’m being biased but I’ve genuinely never heard people say places like Dyce, Bearsden or Lennoxtown were of similar stature to Paisley. 

Greenock, East Kilbride, Falkirk, Kilmarnock; these are all places made up of separate areas that in turn make the town, along with a town centre/high street, the same way as Paisley does. I could accept comparisons to them, but not to Dyce etc. 

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That can’t be right. In Edinburgh it’s common to describe anything past Harthill services as basically Glasgow.

I assume that’s said in jest though, a kind of ‘east coast v west coast’ jibe. There’s nothing impressive about not having a good knowledge of Scottish geography. I’ve stayed on the west coast all my life, but some of my favourite places are on the east coast; St Andrews, Gullane, Crail amongst others. Places like Skye, Glencoe and Fort William rank highly as well, and I’ve never felt the need to play the two sides off against each other, or tried to make myself look stupid by saying ‘everything east of Falkirk is Edinburgh’ because 1) it’s not funny and 2) it’s not true. 

39 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yep, exactly the same 🤪. Looking forward to flying out of Govan International Airport for my summer holidays this year, maybe enrol into Partick University when I come back.

You can see one side of Partick from the other, it’s about 6 streets wide. And according to Google, Govan is 1.63 KM squared, Paisley is about 30 times the size of it. Apart from that it’s the same thing though, absorbed into the City of Glasgow while being in a completely different council area. 

I don't understand this point - there's no Paisley International Airport or Paisley University either.

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I stayed in Blackburn 7 or 8 years back, and travelled through Dyce regularly. Yes it has an airport but I don’t remember it having much else. Does it have a town centre, with multiple administrative offices, a Police headquarters, two shopping centres, a high street and Town hall? Maybe I’m being biased but I’ve genuinely never heard people say places like Dyce, Bearsden or Lennoxtown were of similar stature to Paisley. 

Greenock, East Kilbride, Falkirk, Kilmarnock; these are all places made up of separate areas that in turn make the town, along with a town centre/high street, the same way as Paisley does. I could accept comparisons to them, but not to Dyce etc. 

The point with Dyce was more to highlight the folly of claiming that having an international airport is somehow part of a valid argument.

Now you mention it though, it does however have a "shopping centre" (a dubious status considering it's an ASDA with a contiguous launderette or something), its own police station, village hall, identifiable main street with shops and amenities etc. Drop it 5 miles north out of town and you have a standalone self-sufficient independent settlement... which is a very similar situation to Paisley, albeit on a smaller scale.

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I stayed in Blackburn 7 or 8 years back, and travelled through Dyce regularly.

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve stayed on the west coast all my life

Is there some sort of identity disorder going on in the background here?

49 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I like to compare North Berwick to Rio de Janeiro as they’re both by the sea both have a big hill and neither has hosted the Eurovision Song Contest

You could steal the Angel of the North and trail it up the A1 to complete the look.

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That can’t be right. In Edinburgh it’s common to describe anything past Harthill services as basically Glasgow.

I was in Whitburn yesterday, from what I observed it might've qualified for a G postcode.

A city where the postcodes are named after another town and everyone is born in kirkcaldy as there’s no suitable hospital? 
Time to fix this. We have overtaken kirkcaldy in population, and now status. We have won the kingdom

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't understand this point - there's no Paisley International Airport or Paisley University either.

Technically you are correct, the international airport in Paisley is currently named ‘Glasgow Airport’, although I have started a petition to have the airport renamed as the ‘Paisley Airport’. I feel it’s disingenuous to people travelling into Scotlands largest airport to be lied to like that from the get go, and if the airport was renamed as the Paisley Airport it might encourage tourism into the town from the free advertising we would get with our towns name on departure boards at other airports all over the world. E.G. a family in Schipol on their way to Rome will look at the screen and see ‘Paisley’ amongst destinations like New York, Dubai, Shanghai etc, and take an interest in the town. It’s early stages at the moment but if anyone is interested in adding their name to the petition then please do get in touch. 

D3DFA14C-2CEB-42BF-BAFB-530FD02B876F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Is there some sort of identity disorder going on in the background here?

I stayed in Blackburn for work purposes and travelled back at the weekends. My work place was in Ellon. I wasn’t a permanent resident, thank the lord. I lasted 6 months up there and it was 5 months and 3 weeks too many. I’m sure it’s a fine place if you grew up in that area and don’t know anything else, unfortunately outsiders aren’t treated great and they don’t like a west coaster moving up there for work. 

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The point with Dyce was more to highlight the folly of claiming that having an international airport is somehow part of a valid argument.

Now you mention it though, it does however have a "shopping centre" (a dubious status considering it's an ASDA with a contiguous launderette or something), its own police station, village hall, identifiable main street with shops and amenities etc. Drop it 5 miles north out of town and you have a standalone self-sufficient independent settlement... which is a very similar situation to Paisley, albeit on a smaller scale.

I actually spent a week in a Bed and Breakfast in Dyce, right beside the airport with a chippy across the road and a pub next door (The Spiders Web I think) full of Geordie oil workers strutting around the place like Rod Stewart at a hen doo because they make an above average annual salary. I won’t be rushing back. 

23 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

A city where the postcodes are named after another town

Hate to break this, but Stirling has been unable to rid itself of the FK postcode despite gaining city status 20 years ago.

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

He’s taking this very well.

I take it your from this so called ‘Dunfermline’ city? I hope it makes you very happy. Good luck paying your direct debits or feeding your family with ‘city status’. The whole town has been played like a fiddle and I’m actually glad Paisley didn’t get it.